Your Favourite Film and Why?

Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Why? The acting is impeccable, especially from Richard Burton. The disturbing brand of humor scratches me right where I itch.

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]Scotto wrote:
Leon (American version The Professional)

Great cast, really well developed characters that I cared about. Loved the development of Leon, best role ever for Natalie Portman, Gary Oldman as one of the absolutely best bad guys ever. Every time it comes on tv I find myself watching it till the end.[/quote]

One of the best foreign films ever made. Natalie Portman’s role as Mathilda is incomparable to any other child role I can think of, at such a young age she oozed potential, her character relation with Reno’s Leon was incredible.

Gary Oldman is one of, if not the, greatest villains in cinema. From Stansfield in Leon, to Drexl in True Romance, to Oswald in JFK. Oldman makes the perfect film villain, regardless of the personality tweaks each character is uniquely and fully his own. Great respect for him as an actor.[/quote]
I don’t think it really qualifies as a foreign film (i.e., non-English language film) and even if it were, it is far from the best. What other “foreign” films are you measuring it against?

great thread OP you are gonna be a good addition to the site.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
An example of Jack and Stevens’ bitter devotion to each other, from IMDB:

Dr. Stephen Maturin: They’re exhausted. These men are exhausted. You’ve pushed them too hard.
Capt. Jack Aubrey: Stephen, I invite you to this cabin as my friend. Not to criticise nor to comment on my command.
Dr. Stephen Maturin: Well, shall I leave you until you’re in a more harmonious frame of mind.
[he stands and is about to leave]
Capt. Jack Aubrey: What would you have me do, Stephen?
Dr. Stephen Maturin: [turns back to him and knows what to say] Tip the ship’s grog over the side.
Capt. Jack Aubrey: Stop their grog?
Dr. Stephen Maturin: Nagle was drunk when he insulted Hollom. Did you know that?
Capt. Jack Aubrey: Stop 30 years of privilege and tradition. I’d rather have them three sheets to the wind than face a mutiny.
Dr. Stephen Maturin: You see I’m rather understanding of mutinies. Men pressed from their homes, confined for months aboard a wooden prison…
Capt. Jack Aubrey: I respect your right to disagree with me, but I can only afford one rebel on this ship. I hate it when you talk of the service in this way. It makes me feel so very low. You think I want to flog Nagle? A man who hacked the ropes that sent his mate to his death? Under MY orders? Do you not see? The only things that keep this wooden world together are hard work…
Dr. Stephen Maturin: Jack, the man failed to salute. There’s hierarchies even in nature. There is no disdain in nature. There is no…
Capt. Jack Aubrey: Men must be governed! Often not wisely, but governed nonetheless.
Dr. Stephen Maturin: That’s the excuse of every tyrant in history, from Nero to Bonaparte. I, for one, am opposed to authority. It is an egg of misery and opression.
Capt. Jack Aubrey: You’ve come to the wrong shop for anarchy, brother.
[/quote]

Great scene, amazing movie. Not my GOAT but it’s up there.

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]Scotto wrote:
Leon (American version The Professional)

Great cast, really well developed characters that I cared about. Loved the development of Leon, best role ever for Natalie Portman, Gary Oldman as one of the absolutely best bad guys ever. Every time it comes on tv I find myself watching it till the end.[/quote]

One of the best foreign films ever made. Natalie Portman’s role as Mathilda is incomparable to any other child role I can think of, at such a young age she oozed potential, her character relation with Reno’s Leon was incredible.

Gary Oldman is one of, if not the, greatest villains in cinema. From Stansfield in Leon, to Drexl in True Romance, to Oswald in JFK. Oldman makes the perfect film villain, regardless of the personality tweaks each character is uniquely and fully his own. Great respect for him as an actor.[/quote]
I don’t think it really qualifies as a foreign film (i.e., non-English language film) and even if it were, it is far from the best. What other “foreign” films are you measuring it against? [/quote]

Our definitions seem to be different so I’ll expand on mine. As I’ve always seen it a Foreign film is simply a film from the artistic perspective of someone who is culturally different to the films made by people who were slung out on your patch of dirt. Ong Bak, for example, is foreign not just because of it’s native language and cast but because it’s stylization is respective to the Martial Arts of it’s culture. Japanese films like Battle Royale and Audition are foreign to me because the directors implement well the gore dynamic Japan is sometimes known for.

The Last Samurai is not foreign (obviously because of it’s production team and cast) but also because it has a Hollywood essence to it, it doesn’t have a traditional Japanese style like Seven Samurai or Yojimbo. Leon does that for me because it has a classy French vibe I can’t quite explain. It’s pleasant, serene and uses the calm, elegant backdrop of France to juxtapose the intensity and seriousness of the main plot. (Stereotypical France, never actually been there and stayed long enough to get a good idea, so I’m basing it on that).

I realise my interpretations are skewed, slightly unorthodox and maybe outright flawed in certain circumstances, but it’s habitual to me and I might slip my tongue and get confusing about it every once in a while.

Leon might have it’s flaws, and I realise my opinion is subjective and espousing it as one of the greatest “Foreign” films of all time might seem naive, but for me it hinges on it’s character dynamic with Portman and Reno, Gary Oldman is a fantastic villain, and the ending was incredibly satisfying, even if a little depressing I couldn’t imagine a better base scenario to finish the film on. It had all the elements I would have expected from it and more, and maybe I just hold a bias because of the French aesthetic, I’m a sucker for that.

[quote]Edgy wrote:
favorite movie of all time.

I like movies that can make fun of themselves, the characters were over the top, the lines were funny and it had a good ending.

and… there were Ninjas.

ninjas make all movies better, if you ask me~[/quote]

Jack Burton was an awesome character … I read somewhere Kurt Russel modeled Jack Burton’s mannerisms after John Wayne

Alfred Hitchcock’s “ROPE”.

Not the best acted, not the best script…

I’m not good at explaining why I like it so much, but I do.

Now, this is probably not my most favorite movie ever (that will take some time to think about), but for now, definitely Safety Not Guaranteed was a movie I’ve seen recently that I really really enjoyed. Just loved the concept and way it kept me guessing about who’s crazy/telling the truth/etc.

Mulholland Drive - David Lynch - really bizarre detective type noir film.

Apocalypse now- because charlie dont surf

City of God- very unique film about sao paulo brazil and the lives of some young brazillian hoods.

[quote]666Rich wrote:
Mulholland Drive - David Lynch - really bizarre detective type noir film.

Apocalypse now- because charlie dont surf

City of God- very unique film about sao paulo brazil and the lives of some young brazillian hoods.[/quote]

I’m a huge fan of David Lynch, but for the most part I have no real idea why. I watched Eraserhead years ago and it kept sticking in the back of my brain whether I wanted it to or not. Can’t pin my allure to his films on anything specific, I just enjoy his awkward perspectives.

Apocalypse Now is incredible, I’m still unsure how they took the route they did adapting it from Heart Of Darkness, but I’m glad they did. I like it much for the same reason I like Tarantino films, it’s action-packed, quote heavy, and there’s at least one scene where the soundtrack kicks in, in a beautifully unexpected way. But of course it also has a different style.

I remember watching City Of God a long time ago, and I’ve all but forgotten the finer points of the film, but from what I can recall I agree, great development of character, especially in the young boy. I like films that have enough of a background to warrant a documentary, but are composed from the imagination of a Film-maker and his formulated ideas around a story, as opposed to an actual account.

Overall:

Casablanca, without hesitation.

More memorable lines than any movie.

Last decade:

Inglourious Basterds — even though the ending was stupid, the Nazi hunter guy made the movie.

He made pouring milk evil. Intense.

For me it will always be Tony Scott’s True Romance.

It has everything you want in a movie…

• A love story like no other.
  • A lead character that you can relate to, root for and actually like.
  • At times ultra violent.
  • At times extremely funny.
  • Great one liners.
  • Great actors and actresses.

Favorite movie of all time Braveheart… Second place is Boondock Saints.

Why? Because they’re awesome!

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
Now, this is probably not my most favorite movie ever (that will take some time to think about), but for now, definitely Safety Not Guaranteed was a movie I’ve seen recently that I really really enjoyed. Just loved the concept and way it kept me guessing about who’s crazy/telling the truth/etc.[/quote]

x2 excellent movie just watched it myself.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
Pee Wee’s Big Adventure

It’s a captivating story about a man who just doesn’t give up. He tests social mores and ignores the limits prescribed by law in pursuit of what he loves.

I also like the way the film limits the traditional role of the “bad guy.” In the beginning you assume that Pee Wee will be battling Francis throughout the film and it will culminate into an epic final showdown. Surprisingly (and pleasantly so), you find that Pee Wee’s struggle is not with Francis, but himself.

As a young boy I found that some of the lessons Pee Wee learned on his adventure were a reflection of my own. Years later I would realize that the film was a crystal ball, foretelling the trials I would yet encounter as I inched ever closer to adulthood.

What a film! What emotions! I laughed at Pee Wee’s antics. I cried for the loss he suffered. I worried during those tense moments with Andy, the bikers, and Large Marge. I cheered as he overcame each struggle. And finally, I rejoiced at his triumph.

There are so many lessons and insights to be garnered by this masterpiece. I could make a lengthy list. But in the end, it is for the individual viewer to decide what wisdom the film imparts and how it applies to his or her own adventure through life.

Despite the aforementioned, I will share one point of emphasis that I have never forgotten. For me, the most profound proposition I took to heart is this:

There is no basement in the Alamo.[/quote]

Absolute Masterpiece…Large Marge scared the shit outta me.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:
Overall:

Casablanca, without hesitation.

More memorable lines than any movie.

Last decade:

Inglourious Basterds — even though the ending was stupid, the Nazi hunter guy made the movie.

He made pouring milk evil. Intense.

[/quote]

With you on Inglorious Basterds as a devout Tarantino fan, Christoph Waltz deserved every award he never got.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

• Great one liners.
  • Great actors and actresses.[/quote]

That scene with Patricia Arquette and the mobster was amazing, I love his quote on killing people just before the fight.
The Dennis Hopper/Christopher Walken scene was mind blowing to me. Walken always makes the best ‘cameos’.

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]MattyXL wrote:

• Great one liners.
  • Great actors and actresses.[/quote]

That scene with Patricia Arquette and the mobster was amazing, I love his quote on killing people just before the fight.
The Dennis Hopper/Christopher Walken scene was mind blowing to me. Walken always makes the best ‘cameos’.[/quote]

Yes it was…talk about unconditional love…that mobster hitman was James Gandolfini

I have to go with Gladiator.

Other than the story, acting, and scenery giving an idea of what those time were like, I just found too many parallels for me and my life.

The main character was given my name but in Latin, I was born in Rome, and my home field was the Coliseum.

How can I not call Gladiator my favorite film.

[quote]doogie wrote:
Alfred Hitchcock’s “ROPE”.

Not the best acted, not the best script…

I’m not good at explaining why I like it so much, but I do.[/quote]
It’s the gay innuendo that does it for you isn’t it? That’s what did it for me, anyways.