T Nation

Your Favorite Bulk Program

Hi Guys,

I'm just wondering what all of you regard as your most successful bulk program.

What was the name of it?
How many x per week did you train?
And basically anything that you think might be useful.

German Volume Training by Charles Poliquin.
You train 3 days out of 5.
Day 1: Chest & Back
Day 2: Legs & Abs
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Arms & Shoulders
Day 5: Rest

I reckon I put on 10kgs in that program.

ABBH was a great start for me. Right now I'm in the middle of Scrawny to Brawny.

There are a few that we give our athletes. They are EDT, German Volume, and WSBFSB.

We mostly work off 4 sessions per week in those phases and we do other sorts of training.

Simple programs such as the one below work really well.
Monday: Push Exercises
Tues: Pull
Wed: Off
Thurs: Push
Fri: Pull

EDT is stil the best one for myself and my athletes. Time framed, goal oriented, and progression is easy to track. Fantastic program.

High Intensity the Mike Mentzer way.

I would not train any other way for bulk.

I've had the most succes bulking by actually training for strength. And to do that, I haven't been using a set program, but I have been training full body, low reps and high sets. Right now, I hit the gym 2-3 times a week and fo strongman training once a week. Although I don't get the 'swole' or pumped look I got from training with higher reps, I am getting thicker and putting on lean body weight.
I general stick with 3-5 excercises, 3-5 sets each for 3-5 reps. Sometimes I might take it up to 8 sets, sometimes I might do singles, or a few pump sets. I focus on the core lifts, including a squat or deadlift varition and a upper body push and pull each workout.
In a year of hard training, six months of it in the above style, my lifts have improved signifigantly and I have put on about 20 pounds of muscle.

That is a good point. I remember when I was first playing ball. The coach used to go through the following stages.
1: Hypertrophy
2: Strength
3: Power
4: In season

In the hypertrophy we used to get a little bit bigger, but when we hit the 3-5 rep strength stuff, everyone improved more than in the specific hypertrophy phase.

I've used modified versions of the old Growth Surge Project (Part 2) for my bulking periods over the years. I've always responded well to high volume, so it has worked well for me (although it does require lots of calories and getting lots of rest). I also liked the 2 a days.

I've done it with prohormones in the past, but also without anabolics and it has worked well (as long as I'm getting 4k-5k calories and sleeping 8+ hours per day).