T Nation

Your Favorite Book?

Has any read a Team of Rivals, Isaacson’s Einstein and Franklin, Morris’ TR series, Yergin’s the Prize, and Winning the Story Wars?

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:

Has any read a Team of Rivals. . .[/quote]

I read this - I was disappointed. Goodwin is pretty overrated, and her theme of Lincoln’s “team of rivials” runs into the shoals of actual history - Lincoln succeeded not because of his tumultuous cabinet, but in many ways, despite it.

I recently read, “Cowards” by Glenn Beck. I thought it was a very good read and would be a great book for Young Adults to ponder.

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]smh23 wrote:
This is a great idea for a thread.

I’ll mix literature and non-fiction here:

Literature: The Brothers Karamazov, 1984, Blood Meridian, The Naked and the Dead, The Sound and the Fury, Money (Martin Amis), a new one called Ransom by David Malouf (retelling of part of the Iliad…loved it).

[/quote]

Smh I knew there was a reason I had such a good feeling about you, particularly as a writer. I’ve only not read those last two, and the others are some of my VERY favorite.

He has not earned the right to call himself a lover of literature who has not experienced the sheer, druglike ecstasy of reading Blood Meridian with a dictionary close at hand. Particularly “Attacked by Comanches.”

He is THE great writer of our age. Since you opened up this can of worms:
[/quote]

I guessed you were a McCarthy guy by your nonfiction tastes above. I’m so glad you mention Suttree because it’s the only major McCarthy novel I haven’t read and I’ll be starting it within a week or two.

In related CM news:

Boom. McCarthy wrote the screenplay, Ridley Scott is directing, and Bardem, Pitt, and Fassbender are starring. [/quote]

Suttree is second only to Blood Meridian, in my opinion. It is also apparently semi-autobiographical, from McCarthy’s drinking days before he gave that up.

Thanks for that link! Extremely excited. Michael Fassbender and Bardem are two of my favorite actors, and Scott’s been on a roll lately, too. Both the previous two McCarty adaptions (No Country and The Road) were excellent in terms of both translation from print to film and overall quality. No Country for Old Men is literally the truest book to film adaption I have ever seen. It is like watching the book play out unchanged on the screen.

There have been plans for a Blood Meridian adaption for years now, I think Tommy Lee Jones was supposed to do it. But it seems like it never gets done. It would almost have to have an X rating to do it right, I would imagine.

[quote]Cortes wrote:

On War - Carl von Clausewitz

[/quote]

Better than Jomini. I love Theodore Ayrault Dodge. Even got a copy of his impossible to find OOP Gustavus Adolphus.

I didn’t like Hamlet much. Merchant of Venice was good and Richard III. Shakespeare’s villains are the best. Thought The Tempest was underrated.

[quote]smh23

The Elements of Style

[/quote]

Good book. Fowler’s Modern English Usage is good too.

Okay, here’s a few random books I like off the top of my head:

Alexis de Tocqueville’s The Old Regime and the Revolution and Democracy in America.

Gustav le Bon’s The Crowd

Eric Hoffer’s The True Believer

By Ships Alone: Churchill and the Dardanelles by Jeffery D Wallin

Xenophon’s Anabasis

[quote]Cortes wrote:
There have been plans for a Blood Meridian adaption for years now, I think Tommy Lee Jones was supposed to do it. But it seems like it never gets done. It would almost have to have an X rating to do it right, I would imagine.
[/quote]

I hope this never happens. The did an amazing job of bringing “No Country for Old Men” to the big screen. One of the better book adaptations I have ever seen. However the scope and imagery of “Blood Meridian” just seems too large to bring to celluloid (digital). Also, the beauty and grandeur lies in the pages like you reproduced above. How do you bring that to film.

Has anyone read the Rise of Theordore Rex or Walter Isaaccson’s Benjamin Franklin?

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]smh23 wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:
‘No One Here Get’s out Alive’ [/quote]

Loved it, and love Jim, though he was a raving lunatic at times.[/quote]

Actually I should have mentioned also ‘Light My Fire’ by Ray Manzarek which is a way more thoughtful look into the inner workings of the Doors and Jim’s life by somebody who knew him well and personally. Some of the stuff in the ‘No One Here Gets Out Alive’ was exaggerated or simply not true. And he expresses his extreme hatred of The Doors movie which he deems an utter fiction. [/quote]

hmm, thanks for the heads up. I’ll look into Light My Fire.[/quote]

Yeah, definitely a must read for a Doors fan.

Another awesome book to read is ‘Underboss’, by Peter Maas. It’s a dictated biography of Sammy ‘The Bull’ Gravano, who was John Gotti’s underboss. It’s an absolutely fascinating look at the inner workings of the mafia. If he was holding back, he wasn’t holding back much. He talked about everything, including the secret ceremony of getting ‘Made’. If you like books and movies about the mob, this is one to read.

Currently, the Voynich Manuscript.

This book is slowly driving me crazy.

Meghan Mcain’s book is a good read. She is.pretty solid on her predictions of religious right blowhards beimg vocal enough to shrink the tent and turn every pro choice and pro gay marriage repub into a rino.
As well shows how nasty a campaign can get with the whole nigger in the woodpile attack on her younger sister in the south carolina primary.

[quote]groo wrote:
Meghan Mcain’s book is a good read. She is.pretty solid on her predictions of religious right blowhards beimg vocal enough to shrink the tent and turn every pro choice and pro gay marriage repub into a rino.
As well shows how nasty a campaign can get with the whole nigger in the woodpile attack on her younger sister in the south carolina primary.[/quote]

Man, you must really hate religion. You mention it a lot.

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]groo wrote:
As well shows how nasty a campaign can get with the whole nigger in the woodpile attack on her younger sister in the south carolina primary.[/quote]

Man, you must really hate religion. You mention it a lot.[/quote]
Id say the nature of the forum would cause the frequency. Hate might not be the exact word, but close enough for government work. Do you think I am trying to be subtle? Your choice to be religious effects all of your views.
Its a good book.
Besides I only speak disparagingly of religious right blowhards in that post. That what you consider yourself or want to defend?

[quote]groo wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]groo wrote:

Man, you must really hate religion. You mention it a lot.[/quote]
Id say the nature of the forum would cause the frequency. Hate might not be the exact word, but close enough for government work. Do you think I am trying to be subtle? Your choice to be religious effects all of your views.
Its a good book.
Besides I only speak disparagingly of religious right blowhards in that post. That what you consider yourself or want to defend?[/quote]

No, it was just kinda an observation. I am not trying to start anything. I wouldn’t do it in a book thread. I am not a fan of very zealous fundamentalists either, I think they do more harm to religion then people who hate religion. I guess it seems to me you see it more than I do. Or perhaps it’s just the threads I peruse.

[quote]pat wrote:
‘Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas’ (hated the movie, loved the book) [/quote]

I agree with this, although I really enjoyed Where the Buffalo Roam with Bill Murray as H.S.T. Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail is also one of my favorites.

Not my favorite, but I didn’t want to start a new thread:

Just finished Ben Shaprio’s “Bullies”

He goes off the rails in a couple places IMO, and I don’t agree with everything he has to say, but there is a lot of good stuff in here and a vast majority sourced.

Easy read, and he has a great sense of humor, particularly early in the book. By the end you can feel his anger take over the scarcastic.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]groo wrote:<<< I only speak disparagingly of religious right blowhards >>>[/quote]I will feel very slighted and disappointed if you do not consider me one of these.

The Holy Bible

And then in no firm order:

The Institutes of the Christian Religion - John Calvin

The Westminster Standards (Catechisms and Confession)

The Defense of the Faith and A survey of Christian Epistemology - Dr. Cornelius Van Til

The City of God - Augustine of Hippo

Bondage of the Will - Martin Luther

Summa Theologica - Thomas Aquinas

Christian Living in the Home - Dr. Jay Adams

The Christ of the Covenants - O. Palmer Robertson

Mormonism, Shadow or Reality - Jerald and Sandra Tanner

Christianity and Liberalism - J. Gresham Machen (1923) man did he call it

Keil and Delitsch - Complete Commentary of the Old Testament

Of course there’s more.

[quote]groo wrote:<<< I only speak disparagingly of religious right blowhards >>>[/quote]I will feel very slighted and disappointed if you do not consider me one of these.

The Holy Bible

The Defense of the Faith and A survey of Christian Epistemology - Dr. Cornelius Van Til

Of course there’s more.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

The Holy Bible

Of course there’s more.[/quote]

In this case I was referring to the specific group that call any socially progressive yet economically conservative politicians RINO’s. If that is you sure you can claim the title. Mcain’s book is very readable and talks about the campaigns of her father. Its certainly no scholarly work but being more real is nice especially since this forum has begun to take such an anti intellectual position. I mean why learn anything at all if it isn’t immediately able to be parlayed into economic gain.

[quote]groo wrote:
In this case I was referring to the specific group that call any socially progressive yet economically conservative politicians RINO’s. [/quote]

Not to get off topic, but a republican that supports the loss of civil liberty and natural rights is a RINO.

Pretty much anyone that voted for the PAtriot act, either time, is a RINO. At least in my book.

Of maybe I don’t like the republican party… One of the two.