Your Experiences w/ Unemployment

I was just unemployed for about a month in August. I had just moved to Tennessee; I had something lined up, but it didn’t start until the beginning of the school year.

My life revolved around eating, training and practicing, and it was awesome. I got so much sleep and was able to do anything I wanted. Unfourtunately, I didn’t have a lot of money saved up–just enough for bills, etc.

[quote]
Nich wrote: (corrected)

only skills I have is lifting heavy stuff in warehouses and working on cars
neither one im allowed to do. [/quote]

It sounds like you are going through some rough times, and I truly hope you find a way out. My aunt is experiencing a similar situation in which she is now unemployed and without any skills

[quote]
you guys in school that have had rich parents and people around you to help are so damned lucky. [/quote]

Unfortunately it’s thinking like this that keeps far to many people from getting employable skills. I know many people (including my wife) who graduated college without ANY help from anyone.

They got work-study grants,traditional grants, scholarships, jobs (in addition to work-study jobs), and student loans to fill in the gaps. It’s hard work, but very doable. You would be surprised by the amount of government grants available to you through federal and state programs.

Your city/county should have a “Community Action Agency” - find it and find out what programs are available to you. If you don’t have a HS diploma - get your GED. Make appointments with student financial aid offices and see what is available to you. If you aren’t working now, you won’t be giving anything up by going to school.

[quote]
I wish I would not have dropped out of school and I wish I would have traveled around more and gotten more skills than staying in one place for too long.[/quote]

Now is the time to change your situation.

It never is what it is…if you don’t like the situation then change it.

With enough grit and hard work (which you are evidently accustomed to), you can do just about anything. You sound like you are giving up, don’t.

Never. I’ve always had at least one job since I was 14. Work sucks.

9 months to the day. Got fired and a new job that I was working on getting fell through. That was also about the time a small recession started, so no one was hiring or even giving out temp jobs.

Went on unemployment, but was beating the ground daily to find something, anything. I did learn a few things though and when the economy recovered and companies started hiring again, I got a fairly nice deal (for me anyway).

Join the navy if you cant get a job or offered school. its paying for school while im in and going to pay for me for three years when i leave.

[quote]Stuyou wrote:

Big_Boss wrote:

neither one im allowed to do.

It sounds like you are going through some rough times, and I truly hope you find a way out. My aunt is experiencing a similar situation in which she is now unemployed and without any skills

you guys in school that have had rich parents and people around you to help are so damned lucky.

Unfortunately it’s thinking like this that keeps far to many people from getting employable skills. I know many people (including my wife) who graduated college without ANY help from anyone.

They got work-study grants,traditional grants, scholarships, jobs (in addition to work-study jobs), and student loans to fill in the gaps. It’s hard work, but very doable. You would be surprised by the amount of government grants available to you through federal and state programs.

Your city/county should have a “Community Action Agency” - find it and find out what programs are available to you. If you don’t have a HS diploma - get your GED. Make appointments with student financial aid offices and see what is available to you. If you aren’t working now, you won’t be giving anything up by going to school.

I wish I would not have dropped out of school and I wish I would have traveled around more and gotten more skills than staying in one place for too long.

oh well it is what it is I guess

With enough grit and hard work (which you are evidently accustomed to), you can do just about anything. You sound like you are giving up, don’t.

[/quote]

Excellent post Stuyou.

After college I got a job at an insurance company and after a few years I fucking hated it.

When they reorganized I was offered the choice between a different job or 5 months of severance. I jumped at the severance. Since I was single with no dependants I said hell yes I’ll take that.

Many others who did not have the choice told me I was a fool, some were crying over their lost jobs. I felt bad for them.

I took at job as a waiter for a few months and found another professional job after about 4 months. That job lead me to grad school which has changed my life for the better in many ways.

It takes hard work and perseverance and determination. I put myself through college, I applied for and paid off my own student loans, and negotiated with my employer to pay for grad school. Nothing worthwhile is easy.

Since I was 16 I’ve been unemployed for 1 day. Was made redundant, got in contact with an old manager of mine and told him I needed a job, he told me to start Monday.

Went from being a programmer to working in a supermarket, but hell, it was a nice change of pace and was still money coming in.

[quote]Stuyou wrote:

Big_Boss wrote:

neither one im allowed to do.

you guys in school that have had rich parents and people around you to help are so damned lucky.

I wish I would not have dropped out of school and I wish I would have traveled around more and gotten more skills than staying in one place for too long.

oh well it is what it is I guess

[/quote]

you quoted the wrong guy…that was Nich’s response to my original post…but your “advice” is right on.

i was unemployed like a week. i got fired from Ballys for basically being a smartass and saying things like “feel the burn”, “you cant squat too low”, and wearing sandals. the period in which i was unemployed sucked though even if it was short. its one to sit on your ass when you have something to do and you can just do it later. its a another thing when you sit on your ass because you have nothing to do.

as soon as i left the door i went and applied to like 5 gyms for any position except PT. then after i didnt hear back immediately i applied to a bunch of resturaunts.

it worked out better that way though because working for Ballys fucking suuuuucks. i bus and serve now at a sports bar down the street from me. i make more there than i would have made at Ballys and i dont have to go and hunt down my own tables to serve or clean. plus i dont have any douchebag bosses.

dude theres so many jobs out there that pay well and you dont need a degree for them either.

a bartender can make between 200-800 a night depending on if its slow or not. even their slow nights they make fucking bank.

a server at a crummy resturaunt can make $100 in walk-away tips a day. you could probaly double that at any decent steakhouse or more upperclass resturaunt.

you can make $12-20 an hour as a doorman/bouncer.

you can work 2 part time jobs. you can deliver mail. you can chauffer/drive a limo. you can drive a cab.

actually i hear cab drivers can make good money cause what you do is basically rent the cab from the company and you keep whatever else you make.

you can get a certificate that lets you teach english in other countries and youll make above the norm rate there. so consider what everyone else’s dollar power is to ours and there ya go.

like i said, theres so many things out there just go get something. dont mope about it.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
you quoted the wrong guy…that was Nich’s response to my original post…but your “advice” is right on.[/quote]

I corrected it.

Four months. It was the best 4 months of my life.

My wife just got laid off yesterday due to a “reduction in force.” Now she’s looking forward to some time off.

I was laid off from a job (that I hated) and collected unemployment for two full months while continuing to job search.

The timing was good/bad when they first notified me that they were going to lay me off. The week before, I had just turned 30, someone had run into my Honda S2000, I was dealing with some health issues, my girl and I were breaking up/getting back together and my dad was diagnosed with cancer.

They notified me in February and my last day at work was March 9. I immediately went to unemployment and collected what I could during the following two months. I was lucky that I had just enough money to get me through those two months. And I took a job that held me over for the next 8 months until I came to my current position.

The only good that happened during that time was that I had more time to help my dad as he went to radiation and chemo treatments. A year later he passed away from the cancer.

I believe that it all happened for a reason and a purpose, as many things unfolded in my life from that time until now that have made me a better person and have blessed me in many ways.

Currently unemployed. Finished my masters degree two months ago and am in search of employment. Longest I’ve been unemployed.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
"You’ve got to be one stupid mother-fucker to get fired on your day off! "

-Friday[/quote]

They ain’t got me on tape stealing no boxes!

Sorry to hear about your dad mate.

[quote]DickBag wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
dude theres so many jobs out there that pay well and you dont need a degree for them either.

a bartender can make between 200-800 a night depending on if its slow or not. even their slow nights they make fucking bank.

a server at a crummy resturaunt can make $100 in walk-away tips a day. you could probaly double that at any decent steakhouse or more upperclass resturaunt.

you can make $12-20 an hour as a doorman/bouncer.

you can work 2 part time jobs. you can deliver mail. you can chauffer/drive a limo. you can drive a cab.

actually i hear cab drivers can make good money cause what you do is basically rent the cab from the company and you keep whatever else you make.

you can get a certificate that lets you teach english in other countries and youll make above the norm rate there. so consider what everyone else’s dollar power is to ours and there ya go.

like i said, theres so many things out there just go get something. dont mope about it.

you are right about all of these, but take into account that you have to be extra polite and nice to get these great tips, at least thats the way in ireland( PEOIPLE DONT USUALLY TIP HERE, woops caps)
you have to grin and bear it and be super friendly to everyone. it goes against my charactor, so i would prefer to get a degree.

thats why im back in college, working as a waiter or bartender is nice and all, but from my experience, its not worth the disrespect you get from certain customers.

[/quote]

word you definately have to have customer service skills but its not hard for me to do. flirt a little bit, make some jokes, be polite, compliment, if they want to be a dickhead or bitch you just smile til you get to the back then you “spruce up” their meal and serve it with an angelic smile.

i didnt know who this thread was about either. yea no point in waiting in europe, you bastards come to america and act like you have no clue that its customary to tip here.

i dont know if you have craigslist or something similar there either but if you search around you may see something you never even though of before but that seems good.

Regardless of how rude the customer is, there’s a special place in hell waiting for assholes that sabotage food.

[quote]Travacolypse wrote:
Regardless of how rude the customer is, there’s a special place in hell waiting for assholes that sabotage food.[/quote]

Nononononono!!! You don’t ever break Teh Cardinal Rule “Don’t fuck with people who handle your food”. Now if they don’t break the rule and you mess up their food then you burn.

heres a question,sorry for taking this off topic but i have to ask.
the ones that say you can be a waiter,cashier something customer service.
does anyone here know what its like to not be able to communicate to the public.

example have a horrible stutter that makes it impossible to spit out 3 words at a time sometimes?
something that is a nerological defect that is unfixable for lack of a better word.

just asking and again sorry for derailing this thread.