Your Experiences Finding 1RM

Hi
Basically I am getting closer to my true max on 5x5 (I do 5x5 with the same weight then move up 2.5kg/5lbs next session), I’d say 2 or 3 more sessions on bench and I will be at my max.
Then, I want to work towards finding out my 1 rep max. SO I’ll have to drop the reps and start training lower reps, more sets.

I was thining of this… when I get to a weight that I cannot do 5x5 on, say I fail on the 3rd set, then switch to 10x3 on the same weight, then just keep increasing the weight 2.5kg each session.
Then when I cant do all 10 sets of 3, drop to 5x3, and keep increasing the weight 2.5kg still. Then when I cannot complete all 5 sets of 3, start training singles.

What are your thoughts on this, and how did you work from higher reps to your 1 rep max.

Just curious, my bench is going to be the first to stall, I think I have 120kg 5x5 in me at 77kg bodyweight, I did 112.5kg 5x5 bench with no problems, pretty easyish, just wanna keep progressing and not stall for too long.
Cheers in advance guys for any opinions

Just deload and work back up to a 5RM again.

What you’re suggesting sounds to me like an excellent way to get injured.

… I’ve done it in the past and I wasnt injured, made nice progress actually? I dont get greedy with weight so havent been injured lifting before.

But Im looking for something different, to learn more, to find out how everyone else taper’s down to test their 1 rep max.

Just looking to find out others experiences, I dont agree with the injury comment, but I guess this is a forum and your opinion is your own and thats cool, just looking know others experiences.

Sounds like it would take forever!
You need to find what your max is now, do a short peak, as outlined below, and find out what you can do. Your plan seems more like a way to continue to try to develop strength(and to get injured; too intense for too long).
Try this:
Week 1:
Take your best 5x5 weight and only do 1 set of 5, if that set was easy add 10lb and do another set of 5
Week 2:
Add 10lb and do 1x3 with it (after warming up of course) If that set was easy add 10lb and do another set of 3.
Week 3: Work up to a max single, using 3-5mins between heavy sets.
Week4: Try your max single that you found in week 3, adjusting your early sets so as to avoid tiring yourself out. Then you could get another max, remember you can add weight in 5lb at the end.
Then REST for 1 week (no weights at all, to allow your CNS to recover) lots of food and sleep. Don’t even do squats ‘because they don’t use the bench muscles’ CNS= CENTRAL nervous system.
After that week off start at about 85-90% of your previous 5x5 and work it up.
Remember you can’t do 5x5 with your 5RM, if you really want to focus on the weight you lift you’ll need a peaking program adjusted to you abilities. Research some powerlifting threads.
Good luck.

[quote]Boffin wrote:
Your plan seems more like a way to continue to try to develop strength(and to get injured; too intense for too long).
quote]

This must have been what LiftStrong meant, he just didnt go into detail enough for my to get what he was saying.

Ok, I understand and take on board what your both saying now.

Thanks for the advice guys.
I’ll find out my 5 rep max, and go from there.

Cool, let us know how you get along.