T Nation

Your Diet To 180-200lbs

Just wondering if you guys can get me an idea of your current diets on bulks if you have one. Currently looking to reach 180 then maybe 200 down the road. I am in college and will be working quite heavily to pay for the food and other expenses. My schedule goes as follows

Monday: class 11am to 1150 1-3 PM 630-9pm

Tuesday: 8am-9am 1-2:15pm

Wed and friday: 11-1150 1-3

thursday: 8-9 1-2:15

Weekends are free in terms of class.

I have not figured out job hours since i start after christmas break but I'm assuming ill work 20 hours a week. Currently 165 looking to be 180. Advice!

Well I went from about 200-275 while staying lean from about 2011-now, naturally.
Key staples in my diet that havent really changed:

lean ground beef (i eat about 1-1.5lbs a day)
milk (around half a gallon a day,mostly in shakes)
oatmeal
8-10 eggs a day (usually 5-6 in the morning, and a few boiled eggs inbetween meals)
greek yogurt
lots of peanut butter

For individual meal ideas, I was broke and in the army so money was a big issue. But a fave of mine was mixing 1lb ground beef with one of those bags of instant mashed potatoes, the meal itself costs like $5 and is around 1100 calories with 80-90g of protein. And before bed I’d usually eat graham crackers with peanut butter

[quote]cparker wrote:
Well I went from about 200-275 while staying lean from about 2011-now, naturally.
Key staples in my diet that havent really changed:

lean ground beef (i eat about 1-1.5lbs a day)
milk (around half a gallon a day,mostly in shakes)
oatmeal
8-10 eggs a day (usually 5-6 in the morning, and a few boiled eggs inbetween meals)
greek yogurt
lots of peanut butter

For individual meal ideas, I was broke and in the army so money was a big issue. But a fave of mine was mixing 1lb ground beef with one of those bags of instant mashed potatoes, the meal itself costs like $5 and is around 1100 calories with 80-90g of protein. And before bed I’d usually eat graham crackers with peanut butter
[/quote]

All of this. Some alternatives to the above:

Peanut butter + Carmel Corn Rice cakes
Greek yogurt + chocolate protein powder = chocolate pudding
Ground beef + rice + coconut or olive oil
Eggs + sausage + veggies

Making the basic things taste delicious makes gaining weight very easy.

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

Making the basic things taste delicious makes gaining weight very easy. [/quote]

some of the best dietary advice I’ve ever seen.

I can buy a chorizo from my local supermarket that clocks in at about 60g of protein and 1000 calories, pretty much all from fat.

Cook that up with some onions, garlic, peppers, tomatoes, spinach, etc., make a basic carbonara sauce with an egg, some yoghurt and lemon juice, add as much pasta as you like and you’ve got a god damn sexy high calorie feast full of nutrients that takes like 15 minutes to prepare.

Just an example of how knowing your way around a kitchen makes the whole gaining weight thing easy and delicious.

Sure, sometimes you’ll have to do gross things like eat an entire packet of ground beef mixed into a half dozen eggs because you missed a meal and need to make up the deficit, but learning to cook is still your greatest ally when it comes to gaining weight, IMO.

I’m a big fan of burgers. Beef, turkey, chicken, pork burgers. They’re always an easy and convenient way for me to get solid protein. The chicken and turkey ones don’t have too much fat so I’ll throw in some coconut oil to help it cook. I use a variety of mustards and spices.

Carbs are always easy. Potatoes are dirt cheap. I prefer mashed. 1 potato with a 1/2 stick butter, salt, and any seasonings. For me, I especially like puffed cereals. They are so easy to keep eating. It seems like they are able to puff nearly all starches. Puffed corn, millet, buckwheat, wheat, rice, etc. I’ll buy those straight (no sugar) and mix them with the Kashi cereals.

Every shake you make, add ANPB and oats. Always whole milk for everything.

Eat fruits and veggies of course. If you find that veggies fill you up too quickly, put them in a blender. I’ll add about 5oz of leafy greens to every shake I drink.

Hard boiled eggs are always easy too. Cook anything you can on the weekend in advance for the whole week if you’re pressed for time. Start carrying a large cooler with you.