Your DB Press vs. Bench Max

I’m just curious to see what everyone’s dumbbell repping weight is compared to their bench 1rm.

So, what weight do you rep for db press and what’s your 1rm for bench?

From personal experience and from what others have told me… I think it’s a ratio of about 1 to 1.75. You should be able to bench 1.75x as much as you can DB press. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Everybody will be a little different but I can dumbbell press about 80-85% of my max bench press (adding the 2 dumbbells together).

5x5 85 DBs vs 245 1rm Bench

there are a lot of variables when comparing the two.
-most gyms don’t have very heavy dumbells.

• are your dumbell pressing including the lifting off the floor, laying back and then pressing?
    -once the dumbells get up in weight, your grip is very wide compared to a normal bench.

that being said, my gym has dumbells that go up to 140’s. I can do those for around 20-25 reps. my flat bench is around 520 with a pause.

meat

4 x 6 85
1RM BB 245

but I always thought my DB was a little high compared to my BB (or rather, my BB was a little low compared to DB)

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:

• are your dumbell pressing including the lifting off the floor, laying back and then pressing?
    -once the dumbells get up in weight, your grip is very wide compared to a normal bench.

that being said, my gym has dumbells that go up to 140’s. I can do those for around 20-25 reps. my flat bench is around 520 with a pause.

meat[/quote]
Holy shit.

I can pump out 3 reps with the 110s and can bench 235x3. I attribute this difference to using DBs exclusively for a while before manning up to the barbell.

One rep max Barbell:300

Dumbbells: 120 x 6 (have never tried one rep DB max)

D

Interesting topic, I’m somewhere in the neighborhood of 325 max Bench 285x5 reps, and 100 for 8 with DB.

I would never max with a DB due to shoulder problems.

Anybody have an idea of transfer from Iso-Hammer Smith Bench Machines to a Bench press?

365lb bench (340 w/pause)
90 x 15 db (after benching)

My max BB bench is around 250-255, and after a good 10 x 3 workout with bench press i can do three sets of 8 with 80lb dumbells. Its the highest my gym has, and without doing something heavy first they wouldent be enough. 5’9 195lb 16 y.o.

My 1RM in dumbbells is probably 34 kg. In BB benchpress it is probably 80 kg.

280 1RM on Bench
115 x 5 DB

meat[/quote]

I’m here for you if you ever need help getting those pitiful numbers up to a respectable level.

[quote]on edge wrote:
maraudermeat wrote:

meat

I’m here for you if you ever need help getting those pitiful numbers up to a respectable level.[/quote]

thanks… I don’t live very far from you so it won’t be a long trip. :slight_smile:

700lb db
1500lb bb

I also run a mile in 29 seconds.

[quote]biglift88 wrote:
700lb db
1500lb bb

[/quote]

That was very original. I applaud you.

D

[quote]biglift88 wrote:
700lb db
1500lb bb

[/quote]

That ratio is too far off. You must be lacking stability.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
biglift88 wrote:
700lb db
1500lb bb

That ratio is too far off. You must be lacking stability.
[/quote]

Yeah…i bet you use creatine and have no functional strength…cheater

meat[/quote]

-respect.