Your DB Bench/Fly Differential

I’m just curious about what some of your numbers are in the flat db bench and flat db fly. As I’ve stated on here before, I’m not a very strong individual - pressing movements being a particular weak area for me. I did finally hit a personal best of 10 reps with the 100’s in the flat db bench. I also hit a pb with db flys getting 10 solid reps with the 70’s. So my differential is 30 lbs.

I was curious if others are close to that or closer/ wider apart? What are some of yours? Mind you it doesn’t have to be your exact 10 rep max. 8-12 will suffice.

flat dumbbell bench 100 for 15 (rest pause lol)

don’t do flies.

difference 100 pounds

How about inclines? I incline DB bench the 70’s for 10 reps and incline fly the 35’s for 10 reps. So 35 pounds

I’ve never maxed out on flies, but if I were to estimate, my differential would be a lot more than 30. I’ll do 12 rep sets with the 140s on DB bench and generally do sets of 10s with the 60s on flies. I’m triceps dominant.

65’s on db flat for 10, 40 for 10 on flies.

25lb dif.

DB bench 42.5kg for 5

DG Fly 22kg for 5

20.5kg difference

to get a more accurate comparison
go by %
what percent of your bench is your flye
that’s more useful info

Probably 130s if you go for 10. But on flys it’s about 45s-60s. So, more than 50% difference. I rarely do flys.

110 DBs x 10. I go lighter on flies just o protect my shoulders, usually around 30-35lbs.

[quote]1morerep wrote:
I’m just curious about what some of your numbers are in the flat db bench and flat db fly. As I’ve stated on here before, I’m not a very strong individual - pressing movements being a particular weak area for me. I did finally hit a personal best of 10 reps with the 100’s in the flat db bench. I also hit a pb with db flys getting 10 solid reps with the 70’s. So my differential is 30 lbs.

I was curious if others are close to that or closer/ wider apart? What are some of yours? Mind you it doesn’t have to be your exact 10 rep max. 8-12 will suffice. [/quote]

In your case, there is only a 30% differential between these 2 exercises. I don’t believe a calculation even exits to measure this, but I would expect somewhere along the lines of a 50% differential to be more realistic. Even pro BB’s who can press heavy 150 dbs, are unlikely to perform flies for with 110 / 120 pound dbs in good form. My 2 cents.

Before my shoulder got hurt I could get 6 with 120’s on the flat. And could get 6 to 8 on the incline with 110’s. Those were never on the same workout days though.

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:
Before my shoulder got hurt I could get 6 with 120’s on the flat. And could get 6 to 8 on the incline with 110’s. Those were never on the same workout days though.[/quote]

ok?

You may want to throw in decline DB presses (and add some hammer strength work for your chest) if your incline is almost the same as your flat bench. You’re either very very shoulder dominant or lack chest development.

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:
Before my shoulder got hurt I could get 6 with 120’s on the flat. And could get 6 to 8 on the incline with 110’s. Those were never on the same workout days though.[/quote]

OT, traditional DB flies have never worked for me, even as an assistance exercise for the bottom posn on flat bench press…

I began doing them on a steep incline a year back but more as a fly-press (not a hugging motion but the palms look overhead throughout and you stretch the hands out as much as possible as you bring them in…if that makes any sense)

[quote]Defekt wrote:
MytchBucanan wrote:
Before my shoulder got hurt I could get 6 with 120’s on the flat. And could get 6 to 8 on the incline with 110’s. Those were never on the same workout days though.

ok?[/quote]

I can usually get 60 to 65 on flies. For some reason my incline version was a bit stronger.

thx for the input guys. i was just curious because i thought it unusual to be somewhat strong with flys and kinda weak by comparison with presses.

db press 110x6
flyes 70 x 8

[quote]1morerep wrote:
thx for the input guys. i was just curious because i thought it unusual to be somewhat strong with flys and kinda weak by comparison with presses. [/quote]

I think it is unusual but with the results you’ve gotten I wouldn’t give a damn.