T Nation

Your Competition Experiences?

So this is my first experience of any type going to a BB competition this Saturday. Im not competing, my dad is. He just turned 50 last year and this is his second comp, his last was at 40. Now I didn�??t grow up with or around him but in the last few yrs we have gotten really close and he is the reason Im trying to get into BB. I mean lets face it no one wants to be out done by their 50 yr old dad. Any way, I think Im just as excited as he is and cant wait to go. I think it will be a great learning experience and motivator for me.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experiences they had that you could share from your first BB or power lifting comp that you would like to share. Any thing interesting, funny, messed up what ever.

This is totally gonna be an awesome thread.

no it isnt, because barely anyone on this site is an actual competitive bodybuilder.

I just finished a strongman competition this weekend. I still hurt. It was so long compared to the powerlifting competitions I’ve done in the past.

It was lots of fun.

I’ve wondered this myself as well. A couple of times talking about how I was pondering how I might do if I really cut up. The answers are typically the overly supportive ‘you can do it!’ BS. Then I’ll see someone’s log during their contest prep, and most of the time, it’s someone who is most likely gonna look like an idiot on stage (ie. not enough muscle before cutting, you just know it won’t look good in the end). No one wants to look like an idiot, and lets be honest, it’s hard to get a handle on just how big certain competitors in the magazines are. I was corresponding with Jim Cordova for a while. He won the Worlds, and overall at the Universe (natural, middleweight). He and I are about the same height, so I was trying to get a handle on his actual stats (we all know bodybuilding is an illusion on stage). At 5’9, his heaviest contest weight is 172 lbs. Try as I did, I couldn’t get him to give me any actual measurements. He did acknowledge that most natural competitors are a lot smaller than you would think.

If there are indeed some folks on this board with real worthwhile contest experiences and info, I certainly look foward to hearing from them.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I’ve wondered this myself as well. A couple of times talking about how I was pondering how I might do if I really cut up. The answers are typically the overly supportive ‘you can do it!’ BS. Then I’ll see someone’s log during their contest prep, and most of the time, it’s someone who is most likely gonna look like an idiot on stage (ie. not enough muscle before cutting, you just know it won’t look good in the end). No one wants to look like an idiot, and lets be honest, it’s hard to get a handle on just how big certain competitors in the magazines are. I was corresponding with Jim Cordova for a while. He won the Worlds, and overall at the Universe (natural, middleweight). He and I are about the same height, so I was trying to get a handle on his actual stats (we all know bodybuilding is an illusion on stage). At 5’9, his heaviest contest weight is 172 lbs. Try as I did, I couldn’t get him to give me any actual measurements. He did acknowledge that most natural competitors are a lot smaller than you would think.

If there are indeed some folks on this board with real worthwhile contest experiences and info, I certainly look foward to hearing from them.

S
[/quote]

I’m gonna quote this for an epic truth.
I would love to compete one day, but right now I surely enjoy reading other people’s progress especially when it involves competitions

my training partner was so nervous during his pre-judging that when he stepped on stage he forgot to take his socks off and the judge announce over the loudspeaker “bodybuilder #11 take your socks off please so the judges can see your the muscular cuts in your toes” the audience erupted in laughter.(my buddy ended up winning the men’s novice, open tall and came in 2nd place overall)

Not sure if any of this will interest you but here it goes anyway.
I�??ve been competing in Bodybuilding since 1995; I compete with INBF which is a Natural org. If you win the overall form a pro qualifier you then become pro and compete with WNBF. Jim Cordova, Jon Harris and Dave Goodin (just left) are some of the athletes that compete with that org. For me that�??s my ultimate goal is to become a WNBF pro.
I do 1 or 2 shows every 2 years and April 26th, yes less than 2 weeks I will be up on stage again.

My stats:
5�??6�?? Off season 190lbs around 12%
Hope to compete this year at 165lbs
Contest history:
5 second place (2 off them to the overall winners and now pros)
3 thirds
2 fourths

As far as experiences, the first time dieting was one of the hardest things I�??ve ever done but it has gotten easier every time since, even though I�??m much more aggressive.
This is what I�??ve found works for me with a lot of trial and error.

I diet 20 weeks. I work up to 1 hour cardio in the am and 1 hour cardio pm and a little over an hour weight training. This year 7 weeks out I�??ve been at 2 hours cradio 6 days a week and 7 weight training session a week. Some may say that�??s overtraining but again what works for me is extreme, and I don�??t seem to ever feel overtrained.

Diet starts at about 4000 kcal a day and every couple of weeks I lower it a bit on how I feel, look and weigh. Right now I�??m at my lowest 2700kcal. For me I use high protein medium carbs and low fat.

Every time I diet down I don�??t think I could work any harder or do anything more but this year was very extreme as far as work, time and dedication goes. Wish me luck.

Prepare yourself to be propositioned by fat old rich guys?