Your College

Southern Illinois University Carbondale Il (The ONLY SIU)

Class of 30 years ago. Never had a job in my field of study, (Civil Eng) but doing quite well, actually better than what my field is paying.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]USMCpoolee wrote:
University of Virginia. Great academics, I’ve lived almost my entire life in central Virginia, love the school, large southern school with lots of greek life. Great time. If only we beat tech in football this year.[/quote]

I’m 99% sure I’m going to head there for business school. I love Charlottesville, and think that part of the country would be a great change up from Northern California. My father went there and we visit a couple times a year, it’s a beautiful school with academics to match.[/quote]

I got a buddy at Darden right now. He loves it and has nothing but the best things to say about it. I just visited him and his wife over Memorial Day. They took me all over Charlottesville and I could not get over the fact that there were hot young women all over the place and they were either with ugly fucking dudes or, more often, were hanging out in groups of chicks with no dudes in sight. I vote UVa all the way. Plus, as a former lax player, I’m sure you’d dig being around a top program. (Or, if you’re good enough, you could play for them seeing as how you still have all your NCAA eligibility.)

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
I went to the University of Oklahoma for undergrad and law school. I loved it.

I am from a college town in Colorado, but had always been pretty introverted. At school, I learned (by necessity) to be social and talk to strangers. I was fortunate in that I attended OU on a scholarship, and was able to live my freshman year on a floor in the dorms with other geeks. That really helped me transition.

While it was great to be around nerdy book worms, I also got to experience the “Animal House” stereotypical college party experience. Add to that an amazing football team and a sweet college town, and school was the best seven years of my life.

I’d considered going to a private Ivy league type school, or even smaller liberal arts colleges with heavy academic emphasis, but in hindsight nothing could beat the total experience I had at OU.[/quote]

You wouldn’t happen to be a National Merit Scholar who lived on the National Merit floor, would you?

[quote]eic wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]USMCpoolee wrote:
University of Virginia. Great academics, I’ve lived almost my entire life in central Virginia, love the school, large southern school with lots of greek life. Great time. If only we beat tech in football this year.[/quote]

I’m 99% sure I’m going to head there for business school. I love Charlottesville, and think that part of the country would be a great change up from Northern California. My father went there and we visit a couple times a year, it’s a beautiful school with academics to match.[/quote]

I got a buddy at Darden right now. He loves it and has nothing but the best things to say about it. I just visited him and his wife over Memorial Day. They took me all over Charlottesville and I could not get over the fact that there were hot young women all over the place and they were either with ugly fucking dudes or, more often, were hanging out in groups of chicks with no dudes in sight. I vote UVa all the way. Plus, as a former lax player, I’m sure you’d dig being around a top program. (Or, if you’re good enough, you could play for them seeing as how you still have all your NCAA eligibility.) [/quote]

Love to hear it. The lax program is a huge bonus (in addition to the football team since I didn’t get one at UCSB and I love football). I don’t have any more years left to play, but if I do head there, I will definitely be attending as many sporting events as possible (if I don’t get sidetracked by the beautiful packs of beautiful woman).

[quote]ward bond wrote:
Southern Illinois University Carbondale Il (The ONLY SIU)

Class of 30 years ago. Never had a job in my field of study, (Civil Eng) but doing quite well, actually better than what my field is paying.[/quote]

Hey Hey, SIUE is where the cool kids go because we actually like having a city (St.Louis) to go kick it…damn salukis.

University of Pittsburgh, and i grew up in pgh. Not really much of a choice as I had free tuition there. Great school though (so glad i went to a large university). Good bars, lots of people and activities in which to get involved. Lots of drinking and other things. Great academics. Looking forward to getting my MBA elsewhere though considering ive been here too long.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
Graduated from University of California, Santa Barbara.

My experience there was perfect and I would not have changed a thing, nor would I have gone to any other university had I been given the chance. I double majored, played on the lacrosse team, was part of an athletes fraternity, lived on the beach, and was surrounded by some of the best looking women in the country. I am now making near six figures in my first year our of school. Hands down it was an epic experience and I am very thankful to have gone there.[/quote]

Posts like this should come with a ‘Results not typical’ sticker on them.

Graduated from Brigham Young University (BYU)

My college experience differs greatly from most peoples because I attended one of the most conservative schools in the country. We had an honor code, dress code and required religion classes. There are no fraternities allowed and most of the guys end up taking a two year break for their missions.

Overall it was a good experience and I’m glad I did it.

Graduated from Florida International University which is Miami’s public university.

I went to Penn State. Huge partys and always great football. Classes were huge. To huge for me, I’m more of a hands on person that prefers smaller crowds. After my first year I decided that you can’t earn money in school. Dropped out and went into sales. Bought a few rental properties. Bought a few more. Bought a few more. Yep, slum lord.

It did allow me to slowly move up to better rentals in a tri-state area. Now I spend my time state bouncing taking advantage of foreclosures. I do feel that I missed out on the growth period and friendships that college allows.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]attydeb2005 wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
Graduated from University of California, Santa Barbara.

My experience there was perfect and I would not have changed a thing, nor would I have gone to any other university had I been given the chance. I double majored, played on the lacrosse team, was part of an athletes fraternity, lived on the beach, and was surrounded by some of the best looking women in the country. I am now making near six figures in my first year our of school. Hands down it was an epic experience and I am very thankful to have gone there.[/quote]

I’m curious what majors got you nearly six figures your first year out.[/quote]

I doubled in Business Economics and English and now work for the international division of a large medical technology company. I think it’s my stunning good looks and brains to match that earned me the salary, but the diploma is printed on pretty nice paper, Dwight Schrut would be jealous.[/quote]

I’m currently doing Business Economics myself. Although I doubt I’ll be as fortunate as you are right after graduating, it’s good to hear this. It provides a stark contrast to my mother telling me my major wont get me anywhere :D.

I guess I have to step up to the plate for the small universities here. I wish I could go back. Played football (D-III, same conference as Mount Union) was in the athlete frat. Played ToyCop (RA) for one year and realized it’s really not fun to have to bust people at a school with less than 2000 people.

Did get to visit friends at BG and OSU to get some of the big college experience on some weekends, but most weekends at the Berg were a blur. Had a house with 4 other guys where we did “Crazy Six Packs”-(no homo) we got a different microbrew 3-4 times a week and covered the walls downstairs, the rule was at least 3/4 of the house had to try it or it couldn’t be posted.

It was a campus owned house that they were tearing down the summer after we lived there and man they should have never told us that, it resulted in punched/kicked in walls, broken windows, torn up carpet, a broken toilet that had to be replaced a month before we moved out because of wrestling which resulted in a hospital trip and 6 stitches.

Pretty small town though, so the relationship with townies, or “Groids” as we called them was strained most of the time. Several fights, small town cops having nothing to do but bust college kids, hence having to help bail underagers or fighters out of jail. We pretty much had our bars, and they had theirs, but whenever a group had a barcrawl worlds collided.

[quote]165StateChamp wrote:

I am from a college town in Colorado, but had always been pretty introverted. At school, I learned (by necessity) to be social and talk to strangers. I was fortunate in that I attended OU on a scholarship, and was able to live my freshman year on a floor in the dorms with other geeks. That really helped me transition.

While it was great to be around nerdy book worms, I also got to experience the “Animal House” stereotypical college party experience. Add to that an amazing football team and a sweet college town, and school was the best seven years of my life.

I’d considered going to a private Ivy league type school, or even smaller liberal arts colleges with heavy academic emphasis, but in hindsight nothing could beat the total experience I had at OU.[/quote]

You wouldn’t happen to be a National Merit Scholar who lived on the National Merit floor, would you? [/quote]

Walker 4E, baby!

[quote]165StateChamp wrote:

You wouldn’t happen to be a National Merit Scholar who lived on the National Merit floor, would you? [/quote]

Walker 4E, baby![/quote]

Cool! Me too! I’m going to be a freshman there this fall. Were you part of the Honors College? How were the rec facilities? I haven’t been down there yet so I have a lot of questions I can’t ask a counselor that I really hope you can answer =)

University of Cambridge (uk) - good university (one of the oldest in the world), but full of absolute geeks. Collegiate system is almost unique (alongside Oxford, Durham etc) and fosters a closer bond with those within your own college.

I graduated from Middlebury in the seventies. College life ain’t what it used to be.

Another Texas A&M Aggie. Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees. Great experience, great friends, hard work in the classroom, good grades, powerful degrees, good job(s) and I love to go back any chance I get. It wasn’t all great times, but looking back, definitely more good than bad.

I wasn’t a partier, but it was there to be had for those that were, though too many of them, many smarter than me flew too close to that flame and got burned in a hurry. Nothing like watching a National Merit Scholar turn in to an alchoholic.

I graduated from Western Michigan last month. It snows during the school year, so you’re inside all of the time.

2 years into my experience at NYU. Going to a school in the city I thought for sure there’d be assloads of hot girls… Not the case. Only a few half-decent girls that think they’re the shit because they are the best of the worst. A lot of shitty people at the school, glad I joined a fraternity, met guys that I actually didn’t mind chilling with. Any kind of social life completely revolves around bars/clubs/lounges. Kind of wish I got more of a traditional college experience.

I just graduated from the University of Arkansas with a degree in History and an (almost completed) minor in Legal Studies. I’ll be attending Law School this fall at Mississippi College School of Law. I have loved my time at the U of A, and would not change a thing. Definitely one of my better decisions.