Your Biggest Phobia

Heights freak me out! My office building is 11 stories tall and hollow in the middle, the elevators are in the middle of the building and have cat walks going to them. I have to walk down the middle of the cat walk to get to the elevator or my knees buckle and I feel sick.

Spiders don’t bother me unless they surprise me.

I’m surprised no one has said snakes? They freak me out when I’m not expecting them but I would say I’m affraid of them.

Walking into the locker room and seeing some fat, hairy, saggy, old naked dude walking around with his sack flapping in the breeze for all the world to see. Skeeves me the fuck out. :frowning:

Clowns scare the hell out of me, but I will still beat the hell out of one. So it’s not like I am paralyzed by them.

My phobia is suspension bridges. I can’t cross them with my eyes open. They are held up with cables for god’s sake. That’s just wrong.

I personally don’t mind suspension bridges at all (cross one every day on my way to and from work), but do you want to hear a good suspension bridge story?

I cross the Brooklyn Bridge every day, morning and evening. This same thing happened to me twice, once on 9/11 and once on the day of the most recent big blackout in NYC (which I think was August 14th, 2003 if I remember correctly).

Both times I had to walk home (miles and miles and miles), which including walking over the bridge along with thousands of other people. Well, when thousands of people are walking over the bridge at a time their footsteps shake the thing a bit.

It was almost like walking when very drunk, because every time you’d take a step, the bridge would sway a little, so your foot would land in a spot that was offset (relative to your planted foot) from where you intended it to land, because the bridge had moved a few inches while that foot was in the air! FREAKY feeling. It wasn’t really scary to me at all, just very, very weird.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Clowns scare the hell out of me, but I will still beat the hell out of one. So it’s not like I am paralyzed by them.

My phobia is suspension bridges. I can’t cross them with my eyes open. They are held up with cables for god’s sake. That’s just wrong. [/quote]

Surrendering to my addictions.

I really hate spiders. Back in high school I woke up with one on my cheek one morning. Talk about paralyzing. I must’ve sat there for ten minutes staring that bitch down before my mom came in wondering what the hell was up.

I’ve never been so scared. Ever.

Jail.

Thanatophobia. (Death)

Being trapped and immobilized in the tunnel has always been mine too. The idea of falling down into a hole headfirst and getting stuck with my arms at my sides unable to move is terrifying. Especially if there’s just enough light to see the water below you slowly rising toward your face… ESPECIALLY if that water is teeming with spiders, rats and snakes!

Damn, now I just scared myself!

The immobilization fear is a pretty common phobia. I wonder if many of us who have it fell down between the bed and the wall and got stuck when we were children.

[quote]DF85 wrote:
spiders. When I was young I came face to face with a very large wolf spider on my hallway wall. I quiver when I think of it…

[/quote]

I hate those spiders! They used to be everywhere at my previous employers. I literally had one chase me down the hallway once.

I think I’m going to pass out now.

Large bodies of water scare me. I hate the thought of being stuck in a large body of water with crazy-ass random aquatic life being able to swim right up next to me and not even know it.

Snakes !!

1. Heights

2. claustrophobia.

3. Falling thru the ice (this is a new fear)

[quote]MsM wrote:
I hate those spiders! They used to be everywhere at my previous employers. I literally had one chase me down the hallway once.

[/quote]

That’s because it knew you were scared. Next time you see one, just say “I’m Rick James Bitch! I’m one of the Baddest Motherfuckers ever!”

Spider’ll be like, “this bitch is crazy!”

ever since the bridge in minnesota fell i am terrified of this one bridge i have to take to school. it is high as hell and you can see wires and rusted metal when you look over to the side at it. i try to go as fast as i can over it and if a cop sees me…well… im makin sure i’m off the bridge before he catches me

also afraid of commitment and long walks on the beach

Claustrophobia - with the particular fear of being trapped in a small space and drowning or suffocating.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
MsM wrote:

That’s because it knew you were scared. Next time you see one, just say “I’m Rick James Bitch! I’m one of the Baddest Motherfuckers ever!”

Spider’ll be like, “this bitch is crazy!”[/quote]

HA! That spider know Rick James be dead. Superdead. Cocaine’s a hell of a drug.

I used to be bothered by spiders until I moved into a place overrun by wildlife in general. Now I recognize that the spiders are fairly inocuous if kept in line and quite useful for keeping the other creatures at bay. We’ve reached a sort of mutual understanding; they stay in the corners of the ceiling (their webs are invisible unless you get really close) and on the margins in general, and I let them live. If they violate my territory though…

My long time phobia is being stuck in a large body of water a long way from a boat or the shore, and more specifically, being caught up in strong currents. I grew up where the ocean floor drops very fast from the beach and riptides were always a major concern and this probably fed into it. I guess it’s the same phobia as being immobile and helpless, but in a vast, unforgiving and wet environment.

Police. I can’t even be in the same room as them. I sweat, my heart starts to race, I start thinking of all the the laws I have broken and will continue to break. I think about what would happen if one walked in on me having sex with his daughter, maybe his wife, maybe both.

Those types of things. I don’t normally have a guilty conscience but cops make me paranoid.

Even at parties, I see a cop and it’s a natural reaction to run away. Don’t know.

men…afraid of spiders?