Your Biceps Training

Letâ??s be honest, we all want giant, round, mountainous, and monstrous biceps. It’s just one of those things that are unavoidable, like the rising of the sun.

That being said, my bi’s are just puny :frowning: so I thought why not start a thread about what has worked best for everyone here that has solid biceps.

Point: What exercises, reps, sets, etc… Have helped you build your biceps? Pics of your arms would be good as well (to see if your advice actually holds water)

If this evolves into a how to build _____(insert body part) the best, well that would be cool too.

I like to mix up different methods.

I am a big fan of static holds at the top of the movement. Squeeze the bicep as hard as you can and hold at peak contraction for a few seconds.

I also like the CT’s 2/1 technique on the preacher machine which allows you to overload the eccentric portion of the movement.

Pics are in my hub.

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

I am a big fan of static holds at the top of the movement. Squeeze the bicep as hard as you can and hold at peak contraction for a few seconds.

I also like the CT’s 2/1 technique on the preacher machine which allows you to overload the eccentric portion of the movement.

Pics are in my hub.[/quote]

I’m gonna be honest, when you a zraw were going after X, I assumed you were some tiny dude, boy was I wrong (nut hugging is over I promise). I’ll have to look up CT’s 2/1 technique. I don’t have a preacher machine unfortunately, but I can work static holds using my Rings, which should work out pretty well.

[quote]Waittz wrote:

[/quote]

Video is nice!

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

I’m gonna be honest, when you a zraw were going after X, I assumed you were some tiny dude, boy was I wrong (nut hugging is over I promise). I’ll have to look up CT’s 2/1 technique. I don’t have a preacher machine unfortunately, but I can work static holds using my Rings, which should work out pretty well. [/quote]

CT describes it in this article:

Accentuated Eccentric Techniques

The 2/1 technique

This technique can be used quite effectively with exercises such as seated rowing, cable rope curl, cable rope triceps extension and most exercises that can be done using the triceps rope. It also works on most machines.

The way it works is pretty simple: you lift the weight (overcoming/concentric portion) using two limbs (both arms if you’re doing an upper body exercise, both legs if itâ??s a lower body movement) and you return the weight (yielding/eccentric portion) with one limb.

So the load during the yielding portion of the exercise is twice as high as during the overcoming portion. The load to use should be light enough so that you can accelerate it during the overcoming portion but heavy enough to make the single-limb yielding portion hard to do. A load of around 70% of your maximum two-limb result is a good place to start.

The overcoming portion should be done as fast as possible while the yielding portion is to be executed in five seconds. Sets of three to five reps per limb are performed (so six to ten total reps per set).

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

I’m gonna be honest, when you a zraw were going after X, I assumed you were some tiny dude, boy was I wrong (nut hugging is over I promise). I’ll have to look up CT’s 2/1 technique. I don’t have a preacher machine unfortunately, but I can work static holds using my Rings, which should work out pretty well. [/quote]

CT describes it in this article:

Accentuated Eccentric Techniques

The 2/1 technique

This technique can be used quite effectively with exercises such as seated rowing, cable rope curl, cable rope triceps extension and most exercises that can be done using the triceps rope. It also works on most machines.

The way it works is pretty simple: you lift the weight (overcoming/concentric portion) using two limbs (both arms if you’re doing an upper body exercise, both legs if itâ??s a lower body movement) and you return the weight (yielding/eccentric portion) with one limb.

So the load during the yielding portion of the exercise is twice as high as during the overcoming portion. The load to use should be light enough so that you can accelerate it during the overcoming portion but heavy enough to make the single-limb yielding portion hard to do. A load of around 70% of your maximum two-limb result is a good place to start.

The overcoming portion should be done as fast as possible while the yielding portion is to be executed in five seconds. Sets of three to five reps per limb are performed (so six to ten total reps per set).[/quote]

Hmmm interesting, thanks.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Letâ??s be honest, we all want giant, round, mountainous, and monstrous biceps. It’s just one of those things that are unavoidable, like the rising of the sun.

That being said, my bi’s are just puny :frowning: so I thought why not start a thread about what has worked best for everyone here that has solid biceps.

Point: What exercises, reps, sets, etc… Have helped you build your biceps? Pics of your arms would be good as well (to see if your advice actually holds water)

If this evolves into a how to build _____(insert body part) the best, well that would be cool too.
[/quote]

Dumbbells helped me the most with overall size until I injured myself.

I would recommend getting that curl weight up. I don’t see many guys who can curl over 60lbs with decent form at all with small biceps.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
LetÃ?¢??s be honest, we all want giant, round, mountainous, and monstrous biceps. It’s just one of those things that are unavoidable, like the rising of the sun.

[/quote]

Dumbbells helped me the most with overall size until I injured myself.

I would recommend getting that curl weight up. I don’t see many guys who can curl over 60lbs with decent form at all with small biceps.[/quote]

It sucks, but I don’t have access to DBs right now, only BB. I’ll keep that in mind though once I start buying DBs.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

It sucks, but I don’t have access to DBs right now, only BB. I’ll keep that in mind though once I start buying DBs. [/quote]

If I only had a bar, I would be doing everything from holding he peak contraction to doing 21’s.

It is hard to “overtrain” your biceps. If they need rest, they hurt or the tendons do. They help too much in other exercises to worry much about that.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Letâ??s be honest, we all want giant, round, mountainous, and monstrous biceps. It’s just one of those things that are unavoidable, like the rising of the sun.[/quote]
Actually some of us just want big powerful legs.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

It sucks, but I don’t have access to DBs right now, only BB. I’ll keep that in mind though once I start buying DBs. [/quote]

If I only had a bar, I would be doing everything from holding he peak contraction to doing 21’s.

It is hard to “overtrain” your biceps. If they need rest, they hurt or the tendons do. They help too much in other exercises to worry much about that.[/quote]

I will try that. I’m adding a day specifically for arm mass (Wed). I’ve never been into training the “beach muscle” so this should be an interesting experiment.

Thanks.

[quote]flch95 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
LetÃ?¢??s be honest, we all want giant, round, mountainous, and monstrous biceps. It’s just one of those things that are unavoidable, like the rising of the sun.[/quote]
Actually some of us just want big powerful legs.[/quote]

Well, then how do you get them for personal experience?

[quote]flch95 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
LetÃ?¢??s be honest, we all want giant, round, mountainous, and monstrous biceps. It’s just one of those things that are unavoidable, like the rising of the sun.[/quote]

You need the big biceps to help the big powerful legs get out of bed in the morning.

I have puny biceps but i’ve recently started hitting them twice a week. Doing 4 sets of incline curls on back day and also have a arm workout which i do 12 sets for biceps. Wonder if i could get away with adding more volume to the bicep workout on back day. A lot of my sets are taken close to failure. I hate ramping in weight and only do it on big movements. I know a lot of guys here love to ramp up even in curls and db lateral raises.

[quote]flch95 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
LetÃ??Ã?¢??s be honest, we all want giant, round, mountainous, and monstrous biceps. It’s just one of those things that are unavoidable, like the rising of the sun.[/quote]

You need the big biceps to help the big powerful legs get out of bed in the morning.

[/quote]
Haha, didn’t think of that.

[quote]TheDon12 wrote:
I have puny biceps but i’ve recently started hitting them twice a week. Doing 4 sets of incline curls on back day and also have a arm workout which i do 12 sets for biceps. Wonder if i could get away with adding more volume to the bicep workout on back day. A lot of my sets are taken close to failure. I hate ramping in weight and only do it on big movements. I know a lot of guys here love to ramp up in even curls and db lateral raises.[/quote]

I ramp up in nearly all weights used.

Your biceps are at risk of a tendon tear with heavier weights. While this may be of little concern to most people, if you are moving in excess of 70lbs dumbbells when curling, it would be dumb to not warm up well and gradually get your body ready for that all out max set.

That is how guys get really big biceps.

[quote]TheDon12 wrote:
I have puny biceps but i’ve recently started hitting them twice a week. Doing 4 sets of incline curls on back day and also have a arm workout which i do 12 sets for biceps. Wonder if i could get away with adding more volume to the bicep workout on back day. A lot of my sets are taken close to failure. I hate ramping in weight and only do it on big movements. I know a lot of guys here love to ramp up in even curls and db lateral raises.[/quote]

I ramp up in nearly all weights used.

Your biceps are at risk of a tendon tear with heavier weights. While this may be of little concern to most people, if you are moving in excess of 70lbs dumbbells when curling, it would be dumb to not warm up well and gradually get your body ready for that all out max set.

That is how guys get really big biceps.[/quote]

Hm . Would you recommend that to someone who’s only curling 45lb Dumbells? Seems like your get hardly worked if you did - 25 for 10 reps , 35 for 10 reps , and 45 for 8-10 reps as the only real set that was challenging was the last…

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]flch95 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
LetÃ??Ã?¢??s be honest, we all want giant, round, mountainous, and monstrous biceps. It’s just one of those things that are unavoidable, like the rising of the sun.[/quote]

Well, then how do you get them for personal experience?[/quote]
Well, FWIW, I’m still tiny but I’ve grown my legs bigger than the so called “ideal grecian male” measurements, lol, (my progress actually shows upper body neglect but that’s another thread). What worked was lots of squats in all variations (preferably twice a week), sumo, ATG, front squats, parallel, below parallel, single leg split, as well as walking lunges, static lunges, step ups. Hack squat machine is good too. What I didn’t do was leg press or leg extensions. There’s just something about the free weight squat. Even though you “feel it more” with the machines, they just don’t work the same, shrugs. It’s funny, they say for size, the higher rep ranges work, but for me, I pretty much stuck between 4-8.

Also glutes!! Don’t think guys know how much the gurlzzz LOVE a good ass on a guy, get mine spanked lots, lol…not that, any of us are lifting for them, btw,…no, of course not, lol.

I swear the key to biceps mind/muscle connection eludes me.

Somehow, I think mine have grown despite my mental hangup, but probably not optimally. It seems I can’t REALLY feel them unless I turn my pinkies in (eg. right hand counterclockwise leading with pinky).

Is that even normal? Also, free standing db curls don’t seem to do it for me. Preacher dbs or cables, and elbows elevated seem to be my sweet spot.

I view this as my biggest weakness.