Your Best You

What do yo do to be the best version of yourself?

Do you floss daily?
Do you avoid gluten?
Do you read a particular magazine?
Do you frequent a particular forum?
Do you give yourself a pep-talk in the mirror every morning?
Do you make it a point to smile more?
Do you read regularly?
Do you use nootropics?
Do you put your pants on left leg then right leg?
Do you seek self improvement?

What do you do to be your best self?

Do you floss daily?
No

Do you avoid gluten?
Generally
Just online sources like tnation and others

Tnation and others

No

I’m a generally happy, laugh-at-anything kind of guy, so I don’t need to add extra smiles

Do you read regularly?
Yeah, it’s pretty time consuming

Do you use nootropics?
Yes, I have a regular regimen that I follow

Yes, I do !

Yeah, gym, reading, how I treat other people, emotional, try to improve in all aspects

Well, I kind of hate myself, and am pretty hard on myself, so I think that helps. Probably “suffer” from slight illusory inferiority. Always feel like I’m behind on what I’m doing, try not to waste time and such.

All the above, but “quid pro quo” Clarisse…you didn’t tell us what YOU do first, ya gotta give some to get
some…Know what I mean?
And what I just did is PART of being your “best self”, thus endeth the first lesson…:wink:

I switch the order of leg when I put my pants on in the morning so as to avoid imbalances.

great thread idea

I try to live by the concept of important vs urgent.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
Do you floss daily?
No

Do you avoid gluten?
Generally
Just online sources like tnation and others

Tnation and others

No

I’m a generally happy, laugh-at-anything kind of guy, so I don’t need to add extra smiles

Do you read regularly?
Yeah, it’s pretty time consuming

Do you use nootropics?
Yes, I have a regular regimen that I follow

Yes, I do !

Yeah, gym, reading, how I treat other people, emotional, try to improve in all aspects

Well, I kind of hate myself, and am pretty hard on myself, so I think that helps. Probably “suffer” from slight illusory inferiority. Always feel like I’m behind on what I’m doing, try not to waste time and such.[/quote]

LOL, dude, thanks for participating, but I really didn’t mean for people to answer those particular questions. I just kinda wanted to show how random the things I was thinking about cause I figured a lot of people on here would just say something to the effect of “I go to the gym” haha.

Care to share any of the forums you frequent? If TN allows that sorta thing?

The best me is the me I’m working towards next year … perpetually

Meaning, no matter what I accomplish, no matter who I am, I can always be better and am working towards that

For instance, I served 6 years in the military, now I’m finishing my bachelors degree in May, then I’m planning on applying for graduate school and pursue a Ph.D.

In between I’ve improved my social and communication skills, I’ve tutored “at risk” kids, I’ve gotten married to the love of my life

I also plan on continuing to learn at least one foreign language but don’t want to stop there.

The key to your best you is to never stop … there’s always more … whatever interests you, do (but don’t forget to stop and smell the roses).

To be my best self I have to share time and be useful for others.

Too much time alone or locked up in my own head is disastrous

I see it as my civic duty to get off the subway train first in order to create a barrier against the fucking idiots that try to rush on before everyone else has alighted.

Use Nootropics.
Exercise.
Read.
Meditate(irregularly).
Study(Uni)
Make it a point to push myself socially.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

What do you do to be your best self?[/quote]

I vote with integrity on Guess Her Muff.[/quote]

Man I totally forgot about that website, there goes the rest of the day.

[quote]tmay11 wrote:
Use Nootropics.
Exercise.
Read.
Meditate(irregularly).
Study(Uni)
[/quote]

This is pretty much myself at the moment, with two additions:

Trying to clean up my diet.

A few months back, while browsing the clearance rack of Barnes and Noble, I picked up His Essential Wisdom by the Dalai Lama. It’s basically just a coffee table book of one liners that you can read in an hour.

Implementing some of the ideas in my daily life has really helped me chill the fuck out and be a much more pleasant person, so I work on implementing said ideas as often as possible.

Push, HAHA! I trust that you give it your best.

Polo, good points! Out of curiosity, how did you go about improving your social/communication skills?

Skyz, that’s a good one! Being useful to others is one that I got from the Dalai Lama book that I try to implement.

Nards, rest assured, you are a local and international hero.

Yeah, I feel like Captain America bustin’ in with all the 107 behind me.

Oh, and I bought a yoga mat and have realized that all I do is stretch on it. No wacky yoga postures.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

[quote]tmay11 wrote:
Use Nootropics.
Exercise.
Read.
Meditate(irregularly).
Study(Uni)
[/quote]

A few months back, while browsing the clearance rack of Barnes and Noble, I picked up His Essential Wisdom by the Dalai Lama. It’s basically just a coffee table book of one liners that you can read in an hour.

Implementing some of the ideas in my daily life has really helped me chill the fuck out and be a much more pleasant person, so I work on implementing said ideas as often as possible. [/quote]

Sounds interesting.

Any favorites you want to share ?

[quote]tmay11 wrote:

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

[quote]tmay11 wrote:
Use Nootropics.
Exercise.
Read.
Meditate(irregularly).
Study(Uni)
[/quote]

Implementing some of the ideas in my daily life has really helped me chill the fuck out and be a much more pleasant person, so I work on implementing said ideas as often as possible. [/quote]

Sounds interesting.

Any favorites you want to share ?
[/quote]

The biggest one for me is something to the effect of:

Whenever someone wrongs you, thank them, because they just presented you with an opportunity to display patience and forgiveness.

Also, figuring out what you can and cannot control has helped with daily stress levels tremendously.

I’ve been meaning to start meditating on a regular basis. Anyone got any suggestions/links for a beginner?

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

Whenever someone wrongs you, thank them, because they just presented you with an opportunity to display patience and forgiveness. [/quote]

Such a great way to put it.

As a grownup, forgiveness sure aint easy. (and of course, that’s also true of many other worthwhile things in life)

The whole of my knowledge distilled into a single maxim:

Serve others, excellently. Never finish.

Certainly not an idea I came to know independently, but it certainly is and idea I came to understand independently.

I have lived an extraordinary life, and I’m just getting started. I am blessed with more opportunities, fortune, experiences, happiness, friends, fun, ability and love than any person should ever deserve to have. That is not to say I have reached some plane of existence beyond that of other humans. Far from it. I still have more than my own share of troubles. I will say, however, that I have come to understand certain truths that, when rightfully applied, make available to us, in unlimited quantity, all of the things that humans strive and toil and claw and kill each other for.

For those who really want to learn something, listen now. This is it:

Make the central focus of your life the task of discovering how you can help the most people in the greatest amount with the abilities you have. If you don’t know what those abilities are, then make the central focus of your life the task of figuring that out.

How many of you can say, I am truly happy with my life? How many people do you know who are willing to say such a thing? Not satisfied. Happy. Who can say, I love my life for what it is?

This is the key, right here. Those who get this, don’t need to hear it. Others will nod their heads and skip to the next thread. But there are a few of you out there who are reading this right now that have a little itch. I’m talking to you. I was you, once. This is how you scratch it.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

Whenever someone wrongs you, thank them, because they just presented you with an opportunity to display patience and forgiveness.
[/quote]

One of the most beneficial truths I’ve discovered from living in Japan has been just this. Our typical, reactionary tendency to push back against whatever pushes us is, in most cases, the worst way to succeed, win, establish dominance, or gain anything in a negotiation (and any conflict is a negotiation). On the contrary, when we blindly react, we actually allow ourselves to be controlled.

I want you to try something. Really try it (not you, necessarily, rrjc, the general “you” out there). It will not be easy, because, for most of us, every fiber of our being screams out at us to do the opposite. Trust me, if you try this you will see exactly what I mean. The next time you get in a spat with someone: Apologize.

That’s right. Say, I’m sorry. Say it before you say anything else. Say it sincerely and feed back to them what it is you are sorry about so that you demonstrate you actually understand and care.

Let me be even more clear: Say you’re sorry even if the issue in question is 100% NOT your fault. Don’t worry about that. Just apologize.

In almost every case, the person who confronted you will be so taken aback by your response that it will knock him completely out of “attack” mode. In many cases, he will actually reverse his statement, refuse to accept your apology, and then apologize himself for his own behavior. In either case, he is now in a different frame of mind, and when the both of you do talk now, you enter the conversation from positions of mutual respect and benevolence, rather than enmity and anger.

If you’ve never done this, it is absolutely mind boggling how effective it is. I actually learned it while dating my wife. Having dated only Western women up to then, I was used to butting heads about all sorts of stuff any time a conflict arose. However, every time I would go and bring something up, ready to jump on her (say, for example, for her making a mess of the house and my having to clean it up), she would just meekly, sincerely apologize. Now, all of a sudden, I felt like the big jerk for even bringing up such a petty thing.

Understand: This is NOT a demonstration of submission. This is an astonishingly effective tool for entering negotiations of every kind on equal footing. Even if something is not your fault, if you are both screaming at each other, not listening to what the other one is saying anyway, then what’s the point? Lose-lose. This simple, contrarian response effectively disarms your adversary and turns him into your ally, or, at least, a less angry adversary who is still willing to give some ground to reach a conclusion.