Your Beginning

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:

[quote]TD54 wrote:

In my opinion, beginning strength levels have no determination whatsoever in regards to a sport like bodybuilding. Strength sports sure, but a physique contest? Nah.

Besides, genetics is all about how well/quickly your body adapts to the stress of weight training. If it had never had that stress before, you would have no idea what you’re capable of so judging someone from the start is pretty pointless.

Now if they already look jacked without ever having touched a weight, it’s safe to say they have amazing genetics.[/quote]

So we can say starting strength basically has little to nothing to do with your genetic limitations as a bodybuilder. What I am wondering now is does a persons starting size have anything to do with their genetic ability to “grow.” Lets say we have someone who is naturally jacked at about 6 foot 240lbs. Then you have someone who is naturally 6 foot 140 lbs. Now if that 140 lb guy worked his ass of to get to a shredded 240, you would say he has very good genetics for bodybuilding, despite where he started. Now that both of these people are at the same size, which of these people would you choose to be if you were trying to become the next Ronnie? I honestly don’t know which I would choose
[/quote]

lol if someone is “naturally jacked” at 6’ 240 they could easily be a top pro if they chose.[/quote]

So since you believe that a naturally shredded 6 foot 240 lb guy could easily be a top pro (I don’t disagree), then you would obviously also believe that starting size has a huge impact on your genetic limitations, correctamundo!?

[quote]TD54 wrote:

In my opinion, beginning strength levels have no determination whatsoever in regards to a sport like bodybuilding. Strength sports sure, but a physique contest? Nah.

Besides, genetics is all about how well/quickly your body adapts to the stress of weight training. If it had never had that stress before, you would have no idea what you’re capable of so judging someone from the start is pretty pointless.

Now if they already look jacked without ever having touched a weight, it’s safe to say they have amazing genetics.[/quote]

So we can say starting strength basically has little to nothing to do with your genetic limitations as a bodybuilder. What I am wondering now is does a persons starting size have anything to do with their genetic ability to “grow.” Lets say we have someone who is naturally jacked at about 6 foot 240lbs. Then you have someone who is naturally 6 foot 140 lbs. Now if that 140 lb guy worked his ass of to get to a shredded 240, you would say he has very good genetics for bodybuilding, despite where he started. Now that both of these people are at the same size, which of these people would you choose to be if you were trying to become the next Ronnie? I honestly don’t know which I would choose
[/quote]

lol if someone is “naturally jacked” at 6’ 240 they could easily be a top pro if they chose.[/quote]

yeah there is no one in the world who is “naturally jacked” at 6’ 240 and doesnt work out (or work on a farm throwing hay bails around all day or something). Thats pretty much impossible

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]TD54 wrote:

[/quote]

yeah there is no one in the world who is “naturally jacked” at 6’ 240 and doesnt work out (or work on a farm throwing hay bails around all day or something). Thats pretty much impossible[/quote]

Yeah that’s a very extreme example, although I’m sure there are people that are very close to fitting that bill

I entered college weighing 150 lbs at 5’8. Started lifting halfway through my sophomore year (I was about 20), and while still weighing about 150 lbs, could bench about 135 on the bar (maybe throw on a couple of dimes if I had eaten an extra bagel in the cafeteria earlier in the day). I remember watching the guys who could bench 185 and thinking how they were just damn strong,… and the few ‘big guys’ in the school weight room who could actually do two plates per side? They were just Beasts! -lol.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I entered college weighing 150 lbs at 5’8. Started lifting halfway through my sophomore year (I was about 20), and while still weighing about 150 lbs, could bench about 135 on the bar (maybe throw on a couple of dimes if I had eaten an extra bagel in the cafeteria earlier in the day). I remember watching the guys who could bench 185 and thinking how they were just damn strong,… and the few ‘big guys’ in the school weight room who could actually do two plates per side? They were just Beasts! -lol.

S[/quote]

Damn, that must’ve been a small college lol. I still work out a college weight room (small school) during lunch break and I notice the same thing. Almost no one benches 3 plates, stronger kids rep 225 and when I did 335 the one time, the whole gym stopped to watch. But I will say, more kids squat and deadlift here than any other gym I’ve been to. They hardly ever go over 275 on either but at least they’re trying.

The girl are all 19-21 and tight so that makes up for not having any strong mofo’s to motivate me.

I remember starting lifting in college and asking a girl to spot me for my max set with 65lbs on flat bench. She then proceeded to do 95lbs on the bench right next to me. I was ecstatic when I got to put a 45 on each side for the first time and never thought I’d get to put 2 on each side.

I first walked into a gym at 17-18 years old about 98lbs at 5’6… I mainly used machines, but I do remember using 20-25lb db’s for shoulder presses after about 3-4 months.

The gym was really my only form of exercise, I just went for fun, sometimes 3x a week sometimes 5x or sometimes skipped it for a month or two, most kids would of been playing sports etc.

But I only started serious weight lifting when I was 20, weighed 145 at 5’8 and could bench 135 for 4-6 reps.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

S[/quote]

Damn, that must’ve been a small college lol. I still work out a college weight room (small school) during lunch break and I notice the same thing. Almost no one benches 3 plates, stronger kids rep 225 and when I did 335 the one time, the whole gym stopped to watch. But I will say, more kids squat and deadlift here than any other gym I’ve been to. They hardly ever go over 275 on either but at least they’re trying.

The girl are all 19-21 and tight so that makes up for not having any strong mofo’s to motivate me.[/quote]

My school gym is ridiculous. I go to ETSU its a smaller university, and I have several buddies that transferred from UTennessee. They were all amazed at how big the guys at our gym were. Everyday I go to the gym there are at least 5 guys who are around 6’ 240+ lbs and under 10%bf. Most of which are actually competitive bodybuilders. Most of them are pushing some pretty crazy weight. A buddy of mine hit a 500lb raw bench press at 190 lbs. Dude has some ridiculous genetics. He can hit 585 for an easy triple on squat after very little training.

[quote]legacyfighter wrote:
500lb raw bench press at 190 lbs.[/quote]

My school gym is ridiculous. I go to ETSU its a smaller university, and I have several buddies that transferred from UTennessee. They were all amazed at how big the guys at our gym were. Everyday I go to the gym there are at least 5 guys who are around 6’ 240+ lbs and under 10%bf. Most of which are actually competitive bodybuilders. Most of them are pushing some pretty crazy weight. A buddy of mine hit a 500lb raw bench press at 190 lbs. Dude has some ridiculous genetics. He can hit 585 for an easy triple on squat after very little training.[/quote]

I’m taking some summer classes at ETSU right now. Didn’t know there were that many big guys

[quote]TD54 wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]TD54 wrote:

[/quote]

yeah there is no one in the world who is “naturally jacked” at 6’ 240 and doesnt work out (or work on a farm throwing hay bails around all day or something). Thats pretty much impossible[/quote]

Yeah that’s a very extreme example, although I’m sure there are people that are very close to fitting that bill
[/quote]

a very extreme example that you brought up. And I am going to say that I’m sure there ARENT people very close to fitting that bill. How many people do you actually see who are a jacked 6’ 240lbs who lift weights all the time? Pretty much almost none… so how would there be these naturally jacked dudes fitting the same bill when you rarely see guys who lift hitting that size?

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]TD54 wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]TD54 wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

a very extreme example that you brought up. And I am going to say that I’m sure there ARENT people very close to fitting that bill. How many people do you actually see who are a jacked 6’ 240lbs who lift weights all the time? Pretty much almost none… so how would there be these naturally jacked dudes fitting the same bill when you rarely see guys who lift hitting that size?
[/quote]

When I give that example I’m thinking of some NFL linebackers who are just huge year round. Yes they do workout, but i’d have a hard time believing any of them would lose that much muscle if they didn’t workout for a year. I mean they’re capable of working their asses off to get in shape for the season and they aren’t losing much muscle. I’m sure a lot of them eat like absolute shit too. I remember reading an article and there was a comment about someone who trained steven jackson, saying he eats absolute garbage all day and maintains 8% bf. If all of us had to be put through training camp and a full season of football i’m sure we would lose a shit load of our gains because we’ve come so far. Obviously this is pure speculation and I can’t get even close to proving any of it.

Backing off slowly

^^Ok I see what you’re getting at. I thought you were referring to their being actual people who have insane enough genetics out there to live sedentary lives and have a “naturally jacked” 6’ 240 physique.

Yeah there are professional athletes who have terrible diets for the most part (Chad Ochocinco comes to mind) who have insane physiques but that has to do with genetics like you said and the fact that they train for a living… so they are able to out train their diets somewhat/their bodies have been conditioned for 2+ decades of nearly year round athletics.

[quote]gregron wrote:
^^Ok I see what you’re getting at. I thought you were referring to their being actual people who have insane enough genetics out there to live sedentary lives and have a “naturally jacked” 6’ 240 physique.

Yeah there are professional athletes who have terrible diets for the most part (Chad Ochocinco comes to mind) who have insane physiques but that has to do with genetics like you said and the fact that they train for a living… so they are able to out train their diets somewhat/their bodies have been conditioned for 2+ decades of nearly year round athletics.
[/quote]

I also thought about ochocinco hah. I remember seeing a video of him driving to mcdonalds for breakfast. Wish i could get away with that.

Bench: I remember putting the 25’s on my brother’s skinny weider bar and getting stapled. Ended up doing the side-to-side dump – put a nice dent in the wall. Sadly, hasn’t gone up much from there.

Deadlift: Bought one of those 300lbs Wal-mart sets. Worked up to 300x5, no belt. Still stuck on this one as well.

Mmatt: There arent so many during the summer. Brad is still there, he’s pretty good size, I think joel comes in during the summer too. He used to compete in bodybuilding at 265. There are a few other big guys there during the summer, but i dont know their names.

JayPierce: I wouldnt believe it either if i hadnt seen it with my own eyes. Its actually my roommates older brother. He’s hit 520 now, but he weights like 205.

[quote]TD54 wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[/quote]

I also thought about ochocinco hah. I remember seeing a video of him driving to mcdonalds for breakfast. Wish i could get away with that.[/quote]

yeah he said how he eats McDonalds for almost every meal of the day every day… he was going to McD’s during training camp instead of eating the catered food that they had… It’s crazy, but he does lift/train/box constantly so he can get away with it. Theres no way a blood test would come back with good results though… there couldnt be?

JayPierce: I wouldnt believe it either if i hadnt seen it with my own eyes. Its actually my roommates older brother. He’s hit 520 now, but he weights like 205.[/quote]