T Nation

Your BBing Demons?

1.) What is holding YOU back from being the BEST BBer (making the best progress - fat loss and/or muscle gain) you can be right now?

2.) What do you think you can do about it?

Simple questions that might generate some interesting discussions. The key for this thread to work is SELF-REFLECTION, HONESTY, and DETAILS.

Of course the point of this thread is also that other posters offer helpful suggestions.

Let us bring back some quality to this forum.

I start:

1.) My worst demon is that I find it VERY hard to bulk in a reasonable way. I eat way too dirty and way too much too soon, leading to more fat gains than necessary. As a result I look way worse nekkid most of the time than needed and I have to spend too much time getting rid of the extra fat, cutting into my time where I could gain LBM.

Why do I do that? I’m not entirely sure to be honest. Lack of self-discipline? In a sense yes BUT I have shown numerous times that I can be as self-disciplined as any BBer when the goal is cutting. After I actually make the decision to start a cut, I turn into a machine and endure any pain necessary. I can’t do that with bulking.

2.) I’m not sure how to solve that issue to be honest. For example, working with Shelby didn’t help really. Also my problem is not the typical “permabulker” mentality.

If i had to take a guess I would say you want the results asap. Eating out of control expecting muscle growth to pour out and cutting extremely strict to produce great fat loss.

Work on your patience and don’t second guess what you know will work.

Mine would have to be allowing distractions to get in the way of my eating. I can eat once a day and not get hungry at all. Luckily I can often dirty my diet up to make up for these days without worrying about getting fat. This has taken me from a skinny fat 130 to my current lean 195.

Is your goal to compete and or have you competed previously ? Reason I ask is, having just stepped on stage for the first time a few weeks ago I now feel a lot more educated on how important nutrition is in achieving whatever your goal is … So basically I now know how NOT to ever let my bodyfat return to where it was a year ago (ie before I started working with the coach who put me on the right path).

When I was in the final stretches of my pre-contest prep I would day dream of all that stuff I was going eat once it was over … but when the time actually came, I got my fix for a day or three and then wanted to get back on track … Mentally, emotionally ect I just feel better eating good clean food … Also, in nine or so months time I want to be starting my next pre-contest cut from a far better position than last time (ie not having to shed as much bodyfat) …

As far as the X’s and O’s are concerned, the major difference with my ‘bulking’ diet now is timing my carb intake … Breakfast + pre and post workout meals are ‘go time’ for complex carbs … rest of the day its lean meat and green veges (ie no complex carbs). So basically just putting in the fuel when its needed most. Even if you find it hard to keep things clean, getting your junk on either side of your training might be a good move ?

Also keeping some form of cardio in there might be wise as well …

I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety when i was a child and i later became overweight in my teens through early twenties. Everyone in my family is overweight to varying degrees and i am the only male in my immediate family. My mother and aunt were both diagnosed with depression and are on prescription medication for it. My father also died at 38 years old of a heart attack and his father had four separate heart attacks before he died in his sixties. My uncle also had a heart attack and has been on heart medication since his late thirties.

Where i am going with this is when i was overweight it was because everything i ate for years was fast food or junk food. Looking back i was consuming on regular about 6,000 calories per day of all junk for years. I always wanted to blame shitty metabolism and genetics but i now know it was just a side effect of depression. I ate even when i wasn’t hungry for that comforting feeling.

This is something i still struggle with. Even though my body actually can lose weight and stay lean on pretty high carbohydrates i just can’t take cheat meals. It’s like the second that ice creme or hamburger hits my lips it sets off this signal in my head that tells me i need to keep eating dirty even when i don’t want more food. I fall off the wagon for days at a time when i have a cheat meal. Getting back on track is rough because after i have that one cheat meal i started to have craving for dirty food and it usually takes me at least a week or two of eating clean before it passes.

I honestly just wish i could go out once a week eat one cheat meal and get back on track. As of right now i just don’t cheat at all ever unless it is Christmas or my birthday or something. I bring Tupperware with me to parties and movies.

I have no idea when and how i will overcome with mental hurdle and this all or nothing mentality. But it makes having any sort of balance in my life very difficult.

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:
I start:

1.) My worst demon is that I find it VERY hard to bulk in a reasonable way. I eat way too dirty and way too much too soon, leading to more fat gains than necessary. As a result I look way worse nekkid most of the time than needed and I have to spend too much time getting rid of the extra fat, cutting into my time where I could gain LBM.

Why do I do that? I’m not entirely sure to be honest. Lack of self-discipline? In a sense yes BUT I have shown numerous times that I can be as self-disciplined as any BBer when the goal is cutting. After I actually make the decision to start a cut, I turn into a machine and endure any pain necessary. I can’t do that with bulking.
[/quote]

I have the exact same problem. Cutting goes great, bulking I eat too much and add too much fat. It’s just so easy to rationalize “well I want this so I’ll eat it, it’ll help me put on muscle anyway.” This time around I seem to be doing better so far, I kept almost the same diet as I had for cutting and just added in more carbs around my workout to start and took out most of the cardio I was doing, weight is slowly coming on. I’m also paying a lot more attention to the scale and making sure I don’t add weight too fast, if I do, I eat much more strict for a couple days.

Great idea for a thread btw.

1.) What is holding YOU back from being the BEST BBer (making the best progress - fat loss and/or muscle gain) you can be right now?

Couple items:

1. Same as above, I eat too much too fast, leading to more fat gain than anything.
    1b) I refuse to weigh meat (steaks etc) to count calories - I feel that is obsessive and actually kind of hard since every piece of meat has a different amount of fat on it IMO.
  2. Seems like the only way my friends socialize is via drinking on weekends which leads to a lot of extra calories for myself.

Stop drinking - not realistic though, at the very least for long periods.
Buckle down and count - which I also find to be silly if I am still going to be drinking on a regular basis

My demon was not sticking to the diet long enough. When bulking I would start to gain fat and would then cut calories too soon. When cutting the reverse would happen; lose a minuscule amount of size and the cutting would be over. I knew it was the wrong way, but still messed it up.

I am a lot better at this now, but it took me far too long to get past this psychological barrier (again, it was not lack of knowledge). Maybe having a coach would have kept this under control and helped me achieve more? (that worked for Dave Tate in a recent article) Current solution is the obvious one: Bulking starts as summer ends. I am also guilty of my bulking being a bit too dirty when eating out, but all other food is pretty good.

Another demon has been focusing on lifting a heavier weight as opposed to building muscle. Focusing too much on lifting more as opposed to a hypotrophy focused style of lifting…when hypotrophy was the objective! Quality of the negative for instance. Don’t get me wrong, focusing on lifting heavy does fit in as part of the training diary, but to build muscle you are better to train like a bodybuilder than a powerlifter for most of the time.

The best solution for this has been to lift early in the morning and track the results. Early in the morning there are less people and this removes some of that pressure. The results then reinforce that I am doing things correctly.

I can’t be the only one have these 2!

My worst problem is injuries. Frequent injuries that keep me from pushing my self in the gym constantly. The injuries are from other sports that I partake in and they are both with very high injury rates. Tumbling (Floor in gymnastics) and Martial Arts. There are months where I have to nurse a sprained shoulder or compressed back.

Well the most obvious solution is to quit those two things and concentrate on just bodybuilding, and perhaps the frequency of my injuries is a sign that I am getting up in age to keep tumbling. But so far I haven’t been able to do that.

Anyone else have other sports that get in your way? What do you do you or have done about it?

I think everyone’s demon is that elusive quality of disciple that is disappearing in today’s world. Disciple is something the average person doesn’t possess anymore. It’s what separates the winners from losers, champions from non champions, and the successful from the unsuccessful.

1. DEPRESSION

2. If I knew, it wouldn’t be a problem

Simple questions that might generate some interesting discussions. The key for this thread to work is SELF-REFLECTION, HONESTY, and DETAILS.

Of course the point of this thread is also that other posters offer helpful suggestions.

Let us bring back some quality to this forum.[/quote]

1. Money.

2. Work more, make more money

This answer sucks I guess but its really it…

I have the willpowe
I have the drive
I have the time
I want it bad enough to do all I can

1. Depression
  2. Anxiety

If it was not for this my life would be a lot better in general, but if I was better at dealing with anxiety my training would be off the hook. It’s a lot better than I give myself credit for though.

I get pretty hung up on making everything as controlled and perfect as possible, and as we all know, that hardly ever works out. Gotta learn to roll with the punches.

EDIT: Kind of answered the qeustion wrong.

1. Depression and anxiety

2. I can continue working on my depression and working on different thought stopping techniques and such. Finding a way to calm myself and clear my mind would be nice. I get better as time goes on but I wish I could do better.

1. My problem is i want to look like a BBer, but i hate training like one

2. I wish i knew

1. Powerlifting. If I didn’t love lifting heavy things so much, I’d be more aesthetic.

2. Stop focusing on the big 3 so much.

Also, like zraw said, money.

[quote]zraw wrote:

Let us bring back some quality to this forum.[/quote]

1. Money.

2. Work more, make more money

This answer sucks I guess but its really it…

I have the willpowe
I have the drive
I have the time
I want it bad enough to do all I can [/quote]

Extacly my case.

injuries, injuries and injuries
thats all

1. Depression, nausea, and low energy levels… which are likely all related.

2. And I’m working with a couple doctors on it.

[/quote]

1.getting in enough quality animal protein when I’m not dieting, relying too much on protein shakes.
2.prep my food better.

[quote]BigHawk wrote:

Couple items:

1. Same as above, I eat too much too fast, leading to more fat gain than anything.
    1b) I refuse to weigh meat (steaks etc) to count calories - I feel that is obsessive and actually kind of hard since every piece of meat has a different amount of fat on it IMO.
  2. Seems like the only way my friends socialize is via drinking on weekends which leads to a lot of extra calories for myself.

Stop drinking - not realistic though, at the very least for long periods.
Buckle down and count - which I also find to be silly if I am still going to be drinking on a regular basis[/quote]
I feel ya on #2