Your Anti-Depressant Medication Experience

Look into L-theanine. That shit’s like cloud nine in a pill.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]T11 wrote:
The one thing that always makes me laugh about anti-depressants is that a side effect is suicide. [/quote]
Do you know why?

Think about being so depressed that even getting the energy to kill yourself is to much effort?

Then start someone on anti-depressants and they are now elevated but enough to kill themselves.[/quote]

You both are wrong. Not all anti-depressants cause suicidal ideation. The warning label that now comes with all prescription anti depressants is cover your ass, legal boilerplate. The reason why it’s there is because the medical profession does not know why certain drugs cause this so they just put blanket a warning on an entire class of drugs that work through a variety of different mechanisms.

The reason why the medical professions cannot definitively explain why this happens is because having had the experience of drug induced suicidal ideation is a prerequisite to genuinely understanding it. So that severely limits the number of medical people who could begin to understand it.

Based upon my own experiences I would say the most likely cause is because anti depressants function as a dissociative. ie ketamine. It is the feeling of having the brain detached from the body that makes those thoughts come up.

[quote]Sifu wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]T11 wrote:
The one thing that always makes me laugh about anti-depressants is that a side effect is suicide. [/quote]
Do you know why?

Think about being so depressed that even getting the energy to kill yourself is to much effort?

Then start someone on anti-depressants and they are now elevated but enough to kill themselves.[/quote]

You both are wrong. Not all anti-depressants cause suicidal ideation. The warning label that now comes with all prescription anti depressants is cover your ass, legal boilerplate. The reason why it’s there is because the medical profession does not know why certain drugs cause this so they just put blanket a warning on an entire class of drugs that work through a variety of different mechanisms.

The reason why the medical professions cannot definitively explain why this happens is because having had the experience of drug induced suicidal ideation is a prerequisite to genuinely understanding it. So that severely limits the number of medical people who could begin to understand it.

Based upon my own experiences I would say the most likely cause is because anti depressants function as a dissociative. ie ketamine. It is the feeling of having the brain detached from the body that makes those thoughts come up.

[/quote]
Sigh.

Did your parents have any children that lived.

Do you think “medical people” get their degrees from the mail?

I know you like to come off as the all knowing, why dont you stay in PWI

I wonder where this will go:

Pretty cool.

I was on an SSRI and neurontin for anxiety and from the age of 18 to 22, definitely felt like it was over kill for panic attacks and anxiety which was treatable by means of CBT and some behavioral habit changes I had made… Getting off both med’s also had a lot of withdrawals that came with it. I think if someone is for meds and uses it for short term relief while pursuing cognitive, behavioral, and mental re training good on them, though it seems in most cases unless for bi polar and schizo that the effects of relief seem placebo…

The only thing I would say from personal experience of being on meds for so long is keep the doses low, and try and change and re train any habits necessary to get off them as soon as possible, withdrawals can be pretty sucky. In my own opinion I would suggest people try CBT and DBT first before making the quick jump on meds, there are a lot of side effects, some long lasting after cessation of the drug in certain instances as well.

I also have a friend who had MS and Bi Polar I, MS is a disease where the bodies auto immune system attacks the brain and spine leading to all sorts of various cognitive dysfunctions, pains, among other things. His bi polar had states of severe mania that put him in a hospital in his 20s…

At one point he was on 13 different medications just to make it through days dealing with both these challenges, however he started practicing a lot of meditation and kundalini yoga and weaned off all the drugs he was on very slowly with a complete remission of both bi polar and MS, wrote a book about the experiences and some other life experiences, I know people can have remission of Bi polar but to have a complete remission of MS seems like extreme grace and healing.

Have you had any extensive blood work done? Its not uncommon for people who feel depressed to be hypothyroid. I know of some who swear their life turned around when they started dessicated thyroid.

[quote]jasmincar wrote:
Hello people,

A big chunk of the population take anti-depressant. I really don’t know if these are good or not.[/quote]

The answer you’re looking for is NOT.

The reasons why can be found here: ssristories.com

No, the answer is this:
Depressed? Your doctor recommending them?, they’re good
Not depressed? /Your doctor doesn’t recommend them? they’re not.
But like I say, don’t try snorting prozac.

I’ve been on fluoxetine (Prozac), sertraline (Zoloft) and now Escitalopram (Cipralex). The first two had side effects of zero libido and ED, which have only started to wear off nearly 2 years after stopping taking them (though I understand side effects vary from person to person). The Cipralex side effect at the moment seems to be anorgasmia, though this may just be residual side effect from the other meds.

The good side effects are that I no longer want to die and I now have normal emotions again.

[quote]Grumpig Hunt wrote:
I’ve been on fluoxetine (Prozac), sertraline (Zoloft) and now Escitalopram (Cipralex). The first two had side effects of zero libido and ED, which have only started to wear off nearly 2 years after stopping taking them (though I understand side effects vary from person to person). The Cipralex side effect at the moment seems to be anorgasmia, though this may just be residual side effect from the other meds.

The good side effects are that I no longer want to die and I now have normal emotions again.[/quote]

The third is also brand named Lexapro, and is thought to be the gentlest of the bunch. My ex was on Celexa (citalopram) and had no trouble with sexual side effects.

OP, I took Welbutrin for about 3 years back in the early 90s. For clinically depressed people the science very strongly indicates that talk therapy and medication in concert are exponentially better than just talk therapy or medication.

To parrot Grumpig I no longer want to die and have normal emotions.

Being diagnosed as bipolar after years of struggling i still can’t handle the fact quite well that i depend to take medication everyday.(lithium).
But i guess i can’t complain, since i haven’t had mood swings and i’m living a stable life for more than a year.