T Nation

Your Advice on a Routine

So a little bit about me...I've been lifting for about 2 years, 1 year seriously. I've been playing rugby and hockey for the past 10 years (hockey since I'm a kid and rugby for over 3 years). I've stopped playing rugby this winter and decided to switch to bodybuilding and do other stuff because of many injuries I had while playing rugby.

I want to dedicate myself to bodybuilding/powerlifting (more of the former however). I'm looking for a good routine to add some strength and size. I've been training with bro-splits for a while and they were good for keeping me in shape during my in-season and off-season, but not really to build the slabs of muscle or strength I was looking for (I know nutrition is more important, but I eat tons anyways and try to track my macros).

I've stumbled upon the following routines:

• 5/3/1 - BBB Template - Sounds amazing for strength gains, hitting muscles 2x a week, big compounds and awesome accessory lift template for bodybuilding purposes.

-HST - Used it in the past for 3 cycles and had tremendous results. More of a hypertrophy program, but it can be seen as a hypertrophy and strength program. I would program it as a upper/lower split.

-Westside Barbell for Skinny Bastards - Sounds really good for size and strength gains too.

My goal : Big and Strong. I don't want those skinny physique guys build nor do I want the blocky bodybuilder look of today although there physique is mostly a result of all the drugs they are taking today (gh, insulin,etc.). I'm looking for that Reg Parks look or early Arnold look. Diet will be one to grow big, but without going crazy on the bf, so a slight calorie surplus is what I'm going for with carb cycling.

Cliffs:

-Looking for a routine to get big and strong (I want to remain agile).
-5/3/1, HST or Westside Barbell for Skinny Bastards
-I want that Reg Parks look or Golden Era of bodybuilding.

If HST is giving you ‘tremendous results’ then keep doing it.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
If HST is giving you ‘tremendous results’ then keep doing it.[/quote]

Lmao…yeah…I mean it did give me good results compared to my bro-split, but I think it was more because it fit my schedule well considering it was only 3 days full-body every time so it went hand in hand with my rugby training and practices.

Man, I’d say take 5/3/1 BBB and modify the HST program as some assistance work. Pick exercises that compliment your strength work.

[quote]Bill Billows wrote:
Man, I’d say take 5/3/1 BBB and modify the HST program as some assistance work. Pick exercises that compliment your strength work.[/quote]

That sounds like a really good idea !

I think I’m going to go ahead with 5/3/1 because my strength needs some work and the convenience of working around compound movements is appealing to me.

5/3/1 with BBB

Look at Doggcrap too. Solid program.

[quote]Brett620 wrote:
5/3/1 with BBB

Look at Doggcrap too. Solid program. [/quote]

Not ready for DC yet…I need more strength…I would run 5x5 or something similar focused on linear strength, but I feel like I need that extra volume.

Anyways, 5/3/1 it will be.