Youngest Mother??

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
ThatGirl77 wrote:
Holy crap. That is so messed up. And profoundly SAD.

Unbelievably sad. I work with kids like this every day. Granted they’re at least 12 by the time I get them. In some instances we’ve had court ordered custody of the child even before it’s born. That way we can place right after birth if needed. [/quote]

Thank God for ppl like you who do a good job and truly want the best for the kids.

what amazes me is how young girls are when they come to a reproductive stage. i dunno the rate of age decrease of when a girl begins menstruating but i wouldn’t be surprised to see girls younger than that become pregnant.

Her parents should be skinned and burned alive.

[quote]mike08042 wrote:
G stands for General, PG 13 means 13+ or you must be with a parent if you are under that age, 16+ ,means you must be 16. One time, I believe it was for the movie Blade, a father was taking his son to see blade, the kid was like 10 or 11 and by law, I cannot let him take his son to see it. He got really pissed so I explained to him that I can get a fine for 300,000$ if I let him, and told him he should talk to the govt if he didnt like it. I loved that it was a Private cinema, which means you can not let anyone in you dont want to, without a valid reason, though I never did that irresponsibly. This is kind of like the govt saying your not being a responsible parent by taking them to see this movie. I bet she will be doing cocaine and heroin by the time she turns 13… [/quote]

You’re equating a pregnant drinking and smoking 11 year old girl with a father taking his 10 year old son to see an R-rated movie?

I was watching R-rated movies since I could talk, I don’t see the problem…

[quote]ThatGirl77 wrote:
lostinthought wrote:
ThatGirl77 wrote:
Holy crap. That is so messed up. And profoundly SAD.

Unbelievably sad. I work with kids like this every day. Granted they’re at least 12 by the time I get them. In some instances we’ve had court ordered custody of the child even before it’s born. That way we can place right after birth if needed.

Thank God for ppl like you who do a good job and truly want the best for the kids.[/quote]

Why thank you. I try. :slight_smile:

On another note…even though they are very very young…they are still the mother. I have had some kids on my caseload in the past who have turned out to be great young mothers. Even if they didn’t start off that way. They need help, education, resources…etc.

http://www.snopes.com/pregnant/medina.asp

[quote]grew7 wrote:
I was watching R-rated movies since I could talk, I don’t see the problem…[/quote]

Neither do I. If anything it gives young kids an advantage, because they will learn to swear much ealier and with much greater proficiency than other children their age.

My parents’ proudest moment must have been when I sang a 2 minute swearing song during lunch at day care when I was five. “Fuck fuck fuck fuuuuuuck, shit shit shit shiiiiiiiit, asshooooooole and biiiiiiiiiiiitch.” I was a cute kid.

[quote]jessb20hatch wrote:
what amazes me is how young girls are when they come to a reproductive stage. i dunno the rate of age decrease of when a girl begins menstruating but i wouldn’t be surprised to see girls younger than that become pregnant.

[/quote]

My first year of teaching, I was completely shocked when the forth grade girls started coming to me freaking out because they had started their period.

Thank god there was a female teacher across the hall I could send them to.

[quote]spartanpower wrote:
grew7 wrote:
I was watching R-rated movies since I could talk, I don’t see the problem…

Neither do I. If anything it gives young kids an advantage, because they will learn to swear much ealier and with much greater proficiency than other children their age.

My parents’ proudest moment must have been when I sang a 2 minute swearing song during lunch at day care when I was five. “Fuck fuck fuck fuuuuuuck, shit shit shit shiiiiiiiit, asshooooooole and biiiiiiiiiiiitch.” I was a cute kid.[/quote]

I still never swear outside the Internet. As long as the kids parents educate the kid about what is acceptable behavior and what is not, it’s fine.

Being a bad parent may make you let your kids watch R-rated movies but letting your kids watch R-rated movies doesn’t make you a bad parent.

I knew a mother who would take her daughter’s food and money. But no, she was a good parent because she wouldn’t let her sixteen year old daughter watch movies that weren’t rated G, right?

[quote]grew7 wrote:
Being a bad parent may make you let your kids watch R-rated movies but letting your kids watch R-rated movies doesn’t make you a bad parent.

[/quote]

Hi, Jack!

Gotta agree with grew here. My family got cable in the early 80’s, and I was never restricted from watching any movie regardless of rating. If something was over my head, I asked my mom, got a straight answer, and that was the end of it. No mysterious tabboo bullshit. When I’d go over a friend’s house, I’d wonder why we weren’t allowed to watch certain movies by their parents. Most of the time I’d think, “I saw it, what’s the big deal?”

When I was about 8, I asked my mom why she didn’t restrict things I watched like other parents did. She asked how many of my friends could have an intelligent conversation with an adult like I could. I was at a loss. I hadn’t realized how much further honest, open dialouge had put me, socially and intellectually ahead of my peers.

The bottom line is, movies can only impact kids as much as a parent lets them. With proper guidance and dialouge, parents are doing them a much greater service then simply telling them, “you can’t watch this because I say so”.

And while swearing was never considered a big deal in my house, when and where it was appropriate was always made clear to me.

[quote]electric_eales wrote:
This is just a reflection of the state of the UK now, and I fear most of the rest of the world.

Filling up with stupid, lazy assed benifit loving scum bags.

I hate it so much I might do a ‘falling down’[/quote]

lol… Was thinking about doing a Travis Bickle but a ‘Falling Down’ could work too. My next door neighbour is a gran at under 30. Every day I see 16 year-olds in groups of two or three all pushing prams. Something tells me they are not all nannys. Yesterday I saw a girl, couldn’t be more than 16, with a baby and another in the oven, not only wearing a ‘sexy’ belly top and she was smoking like there was no tomorrow.

World’s going to shit.

[quote]Digital Chainsaw wrote:
grew7 wrote:

Hi, Jack!

Gotta agree with grew here. My family got cable in the early 80’s, and I was never restricted from watching any movie regardless of rating. If something was over my head, I asked my mom, got a straight answer, and that was the end of it. No mysterious tabboo bullshit. When I’d go over a friend’s house, I’d wonder why we weren’t allowed to watch certain movies by their parents. Most of the time I’d think, “I saw it, what’s the big deal?”

When I was about 8, I asked my mom why she didn’t restrict things I watched like other parents did. She asked how many of my friends could have an intelligent conversation with an adult like I could. I was at a loss. I hadn’t realized how much further honest, open dialouge had put me, socially and intellectually ahead of my peers.

The bottom line is, movies can only impact kids as much as a parent lets them. With proper guidance and dialouge, parents are doing them a much greater service then simply telling them, “you can’t watch this because I say so”.

And while swearing was never considered a big deal in my house, when and where it was appropriate was always made clear to me.

[/quote]

You guys aren’t serious, are you? It’s not about having a smart kid (EVERYBODY thinks their kid is really smart). It’s about shielding them from all the crap they don’t need to be exposed to. I don’t buy the “they’ll be smarter” or “why should we shield our kids…” You’re crazy if you don’t. How do you explain why that man just got his brains beat out with a golf club (Sopranos), or why is that man licking that ladies boobies…or why that guy just got eaten by sharks… My friend told me he went to see Saw II and when he was there some guy had his young son with him. Couldn’t have been more than 10! That is sick. That crap does have a lasting effect on kids. I saw Jaws when it came out on HBO back in the 70’s. That freaked me out bad and still does. Why do people want their kids to grow up so fast…then we wonder why they get pregnant at 11, do drugs at 15, shoot up schools or act like little Paris Hilton’s. Children are not little adults.

<<The bottom line is, movies can only impact kids as much as a parent lets them.>>

That is BS! You are only fooling yourself.

<>

What kind of answer is that? Just because you can hold a conversation doesn’t mean you have the capacity to grasp complex ideas and filter out fact from fiction. How many adults are afraid of the dark? It has nothing to do with intelligence. My kid knew the names of just about every dinosaur by looking at their picture at age 5. I let him watch Jurrasic Park when he was 8 and he freaked out! He had a hard time sleeping for about a week. No matter what I told him, it still scared him badly.

Don’t kid yourself, kids are not mature enough to handle some of the stuff in the movies. Let them be kids. Why intentionally risk messing up his head because you think it will make him “socially and intellectually ahead of my peers”?

[quote]The girl, who has shoulder-length dark hair, began smoking at nine and started drinking tonic wine and vodka cocktails at ten. She claimed her cigarette habit was not harming the health of her unborn child.

She said: “I can give up smoking at any time, but I don’t find it affects my pregnancy.”

[/quote]

The saddest part is that the kid will probably not have much of a future being born into a family of idiots like that.

Truley a sad story.But why prosecute the boy ?

[quote]grew7 wrote:
Holy Damn-Ass Christing Hell.

[/quote]

LMFAO!!!

[quote]PGJ wrote:
letters
[/quote]

Have you met any children who have been fucked up like this? Have you seen any proof that it was because of something liek this?

[quote]PGJ wrote:
You guys aren’t serious, are you? [/quote]

Um, yes.

True, but in my case, I really was. Took a bunch of tests and everything. Now why aren’t I rich?

OK, I’ll concede this point. On early 80’s cable, the worst you could see was a Friday the 13th or a Halloween movie which are nowhere near the graphic gore-fests horror films are today, and pretty cheesy and laughable to anyone over 12.

Sorry to hear that. Have you had counseling? How old were you?

They don’t, and therein lies the problem; they don’t put any effort into helping them grow up at all. Keeping so many things tabboo, gets you the following:

Some ridiculous exceptions aside (like the one this thread was started on), most kids that do the stuff you mentioned are from upper-middle class homes. Their parents can’t figure out where they went wrong; they bought all the Disney DVD’s, made sure to never utter a swear word in front of them, or have any kind of real, honest talk about sex or drugs as they were coming of age. They provided them with every material thing they could have ever wanted, set boundaries and curfews, locked out all the “bad” channels on the cable box, the whole 9, and little Susie comes home knocked up at 14. Had to have been the “R” rated movie she saw at her friend’s sleepover last year, right?

And for the record: I never did drugs, was responsibly sexually active at 14, and am just now having my first child at 33. Guess those “R” rated movies really corrupted my behavior, huh?

[quote]<<The bottom line is, movies can only impact kids as much as a parent lets them.>>

That is BS! You are only fooling yourself.[/quote]

No, I am relating a true-to-life account of my experience. I admit I was hasty in generalizing that everyone’s experience would be like mine, but then again, so were you.

[quote]<>

What kind of answer is that? Just because you can hold a conversation doesn’t mean you have the capacity to grasp complex ideas and filter out fact from fiction.[/quote]

I could, you and your offspring apparently couldn’t. Sorry.

I don’t know. How many?

Depends on how you define it. Granted, irrational phobias affect otherwise intelligent people, but unless you have some serious mental hang-ups, stuff like being scared of the dark and the boogey man in your closet should be long gone by 11 or 12.

And you don’t see that as highly unusual? That movie was made for 8-year-olds!

You have a point. I generalized based on my personal experience and that was wrong.

Why is it I always seem to hear this phrase from parents whose children don’t know how to use cutlery or behave in public? Not saying this is the case with you, but I think this whole “let them be kids” crap has turned into “don’t challenge them at all, and avoid all of their questions that make you feel uncomfortable”.

I would never make my daughter watch anything she was uncomfortable with, and now that you’ve mentioned it, I would bypass certain shows/movies until a later age. The thing is, our boob-tube choices are pretty tame at my house, so I have kind of forgotten the breadth and depth of shit in today’s programming; thanks for reminding me.

That being said, if she, at age 7 or 8, was really insistent upon seeing something her mom and I were watching (which would not be The Sopranos or man-licking-boobies; like I said, our choices are pretty tame) I don’t think shoving her in her room and telling her to go to sleep is the answer. I don’t think you give kids enough credit; they pick up on the hypocrisy of this “do as I say not as I do” bullshit pretty early on and it builds up over time. By the time they are in their teens (or sooner) their respect for their parents is all but non-existent. But I digress…

I would let her watch what we are watching and if she had questions, I’d answer them as honestly as I could. If she got scared, bored, confused, etc., so be it. A life lesson I would then point out: Be careful what you wish for. “See? Mom and dad told you watching this wasn’t a good idea for you, but you wanted to see it anyway, so there you go”. I think showing them that you’re right goes a hell of a lot farther than just telling them.

Like the old saying goes, “the truth lies somewhere in the middle”:

I was an unusually bright, well-behaved, and introspective kid and I can’t expect anyone, even my own children to live up to this.

PGJ, you are a grown man still freaked out by a cheesy shark movie you saw as a kid, and your 8-year-old son had a fit over Jurassic Park. I think you would be hard-pressed to find anyone that would not find this unusually neurotic.

I am not trying to be insulting here, just pointing out that our points of view are extremely polarized based on our personal experiences. Middle ground here seems to be the answer.

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
Truley a sad story.But why prosecute the boy ?[/quote]

Because he raped a drunk 11 year old girl.

What Goes In Must Come Out:
Children’s Media Violence Consumption at Home and Aggressive Behaviors at School

http://www.mediafamily.org/research/report_issbd_2002.shtml

Study: Sex-filled media linked to promiscuity
Sexual content in music, movies, TV can lead to intercourse at younger age

Restricting R-movies linked to decreased teen smoking, drinking

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~news/releases/2002/feb/021402.html

Fewer Children Smoke When Parents Make R-Rated Movies Off Limits

http://www.no-smoking.org/july04/07-06-04-3.html

Conclusions. Parental restriction from watching R-rated movies strongly predicts a lower risk of trying smoking in the future. The effect is largest among adolescents not exposed to family smoking. By exerting control over media choices and by not smoking themselves, parents may be able to prevent or delay smoking in their children.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/114/1/149?ijkey=uolw7ZJXg0c.Q&keytype=ref&siteid=aapjournals%20