T Nation

Young Weight Lifter

My son is 15 and very into sports he has been lifting (under proper for his age supervision) as he lifts this off season can anyone recommend the best supplement for him. he has normal weight 6’ 155 - 160 and has trouble drinking the powder drinks. I know protien is good, but I was looking for anything beyond that such as creatien or ? THX

At his age he really doesn’t need any supplements, just good quality food and lots of it. At 6’ and only 155lbs he’s pretty skinny and could stand to eat much much more. There aren’t too many legal supplements that will help him much compared to just hard work. Creatine could help, but probably not worth it. Surge would be good for PWO, but he could eat about anything after a workout and see a benefit.

I understand you want to help your son out and offer him some supplement suggestions, but wouldn’t it be better to teach him the value of hard work and eating right and that supplements are no t a replacement for that?

I have to agree with eengrms76. At such a young age he has unlimited potential to grow on his own through proper nutrition etc. I have a few clients I have trained for a long time, starting at a young age, and it was not till recent that we added some supplements to their nutrition plan.

If you want to ensure he gets the proper amount of protein (try 1.5 grams per bodypound a day to bulk). in addition to high protein foods, try getting some protein bars, intead of powders. Carbs are ok for him just make sure they are impact carbs and not all sugar crap.

I would not suggest creatine at this time.

Good luck,
AA

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
At his age he really doesn’t need any supplements, just good quality food and lots of it. At 6’ and only 155lbs he’s pretty skinny and could stand to eat much much more. There aren’t too many legal supplements that will help him much compared to just hard work. Creatine could help, but probably not worth it. Surge would be good for PWO, but he could eat about anything after a workout and see a benefit.

I understand you want to help your son out and offer him some supplement suggestions, but wouldn’t it be better to teach him the value of hard work and eating right and that supplements are no t a replacement for that?[/quote]

Protein, good fats, complex carbs, simple carbs, bad fats. Preferably lots of the first three. Protein shakes such as Grow can be a relatively inexpensive way to get quality protein but they can give some people “protein farts.”

i agree with whats been posted, just a shit load of good food is what he needs, it took me quite awhile to get this right, like most skinny guys i was always saying “i eat heaps” but really i ate next to nothing

JBs massive eating articles is what really helped me get it right, and i now realise my gains are really determined more by my diet than my training(provided my training doesnt totally suck hehe) especially when it comes to gaining size.

heres some links:

massive eating reloaded part I
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459429

massive eating reloaded part II
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459431

this is just 2 articles, i would continue to read as much as possible on nutrition, JB and Lonnie Lowery’s articles on here are great

creatine, protein, carb drinks while training, and enough quality real food.

His testosterone is as high as it will probably ever be. All that’s really needed is the proper diet. I wouldn’t want to get someone started on supps at a young age, because then it might be seen as “this is how you grow muscle”. Just pay attention to diet and training methods.

However, there’s always good in a taking multi-vitamin/mineral.

I am 15 and have made phenominal progress in the span of a few months when I put my mind to it. For example, following this wrestling season, I was able to up my deadlift by about 45 lbs, my bent-row by about 50 lbs, and gain an inch on my arms in a little less than three months. If you lift heavy and hard (I used Westside), along with a solid eating plan, you should be able to make incredible gains at this age. I use creatine but the supplements for the most part aren’t necessary.