I am 24. I believe I have a low testosterone issue and would like to fix it. I know many people see the age 24 and testosterone and freak out saying "Relax, bro, you are young and your t-levels are fine. Wait until you are older, if you even need it then!"
Fair enough, but hear me out.
1) I have had low energy levels overall for several years now, despite working out consistently (yes, I do lots of compound lifts with proper form). My diet is also EXCELLENT and mostly natural. Lots of veggies, EFAs, fruits, natural proteins, you name it. I do not use caffeine or any supplements at all. This is not an option for me; please respect that and do not recommend caffeine.
2) I have always been skinny / weak for the most part. A disciplined lifting regime and good diet have brought me from 145 at 5?11? to 167 over the last 4 or 5 years. Not a huge deal, but not too bad. I feel like I?ve been stalling though and should be gaining more for the amount of work I put into this. I look normal for my age and height, maybe a bit skinny. But I should look a LOT better than normal given my work and diet.
3) My Test Levels are 340, which is on the very low range of normal (most labs say normal is ~280 - ~1100 or so). However, this normal range is for all males combined (including 80 year olds). I have found studies that claim a normal score for a young male is in the 600s. I am more than 1 standard deviation below this. It is worrying.
4) I don?t really have sexual issues. I can get it up with girls, I masturbate once a day or so. I don?t really have interest in sex after busting once for another few hours. But I can last a while. Not really too worried sexually. Maybe not ideal, but just fine. That being said I have noticed less urge to have sex with girls over the last year, whereas before I was a total horn-dog. No, I am not gay.
The point is: My low test-levels, along with struggles in the gym, and an overall fatigue/tiredness have really made me consider doing something about this.
1) OTC Supplements (such as ZMA or Tribulus). I have tried ZMA twice before. Both times have made me break out. I suppose on a simple logical level, this means my zinc levels were sub-optimal and the supplement actually did increase my T-levels. Of course I did not get blood tests done around that time and I?m not sure how much T-levels change with this supp. The acne is annoying, but I guess if I want to increase T-levels one way or another, this is something I will have to deal with. I understand ZMA does not increase T-levels in many people, but my acne suggests to me it did for me. It is DEFINITELY from the ZMA. I am positive.
2) More intense OTC supplements (e.g. DHEA). I am worried about taking this as I do not know that much about pro-hormones.
3) Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT). I imagine it will be hard to find out that will treat a 24 year old. Money is not a concern. I am just worried about health side-effects or testicular shrinkage from this. I think I would benefit from very detailed blood work and more details on my T-levels. I just don?t know who to call or where to start. I certainly don?t want to fuck with my sperm count as I plan on having (lots of) kids.
Conclusion: I know that HRT is dangerous for younger people. I just don?t know if I want to go on living in a perpetual low-energy state and with snail-like progress at the gym. I?m not as happy as I was when I was a few years younger. My energy levels have declined and I am not as excited about life / going out and having fun. No, I am not depressed or suicidal. I still do things and have a good job, but I am just tired. I want this to change. Waiting it out will not work. Of course I would prefer to not use steroids ? I would never use it for just bodybuilding if the fatigue was not also a concern.
Please, anyone with advice, it is much appreciated.