Young Guns

Hey guys, I’m a 16 1/2 yungin from Joisey and would like some pointers on how to train, since im still growing and all. I’ve heard everything from low weights damages tendons, high weights = sloppy form and tendon damage to cardio is bad for bulking, and those are just the ones off the top of my head! Any help would be much appreciated

I would suggest reading the articles in the Archives and coming back and asking specific questions if you are having a hard time understanding.

s3, yes read the articles for beginners in the archives. Read also the forums concerning beginners. Reading is an important activity in any field. T-Nation is the most important source of information. For beginners I suggest “Big Boy Basics” by Chad Waterbury. Read it carefully. Start to train with low weights. Ad example for the 2 most important exercises, Squat and Deadlift, an empty barbell. Learn the correct form of execution. Try to do the sets/reps suggested by Chad. If you succeed add 2-4 lbs for the future workout. Eat good food: milk, meat, fish, eggs, cheese, vegetables etc.
Do not hesitate to ask questions on the Forums.
Have a good time !
Luca

Keep it simple and stick to the basics. I really like Chad Waterbury’s recommendations. I suggest looking at Big Boy Basics and ABBH 1 and 2. Both would be great for someone wanting to get bigger and stronger without making it too complicated.

take the time to get adjusted and familiar with the weights and the exercises. it helps if you can get some guidance… especially for squats and deadlifts as well as other compounds lifts. just so you get the right form and technique!

i would suggest that you get started with body weight exercises (pushups, pullups, dips etc)… then move on to a few machines… then free weights…

but no matter what you do, start doing something :slight_smile:

[quote]shamr0ck wrote:
take the time to get adjusted and familiar with the weights and the exercises. it helps if you can get some guidance… especially for squats and deadlifts as well as other compounds lifts. just so you get the right form and technique!

i would suggest that you get started with body weight exercises (pushups, pullups, dips etc)… then move on to a few machines… then free weights…

but no matter what you do, start doing something :)[/quote]

I don’t recommend this sort of progression.

First of all, what if he’s not strong enough to do bodyweight exercises like chins and dips?

Second, why progress from bodyweight to machines to free weights? Machines are gay. They should be used sparingly if you want to build size and strength. The benefits of free weights are far superior than starting with machines because they are “easier” to learn. Easier is not better.

He should keep it simple by sticking with the basics (squats, presses, deadlifts, etc.) and work on gaining strength and size so he can do bodyweight exercises with ease and eventually added weight.

A simple program like BBB, ABBH or the Next Big Three are definitely well suited for someone new to the game. Follow them as written. Eat big, train hard. Keep it simple.