T Nation

Young (15) Lifter, help needed.

Hi

I’m wondering if there’s anything I should be changing in my workout to gain more mass. I lift monday, wednesday and friday. I can only lift on these days because I do a bit of martial arts as well. I do a 2 day split. This is what my trainer recommended because I only lift 3 days a week however another person I talked to suggested a 3 day split. My split is as follows, 4 sets, 8,12,6,10 reps. Day 1= Legs, bicep and tricep. Day 2= Chest, Back and shoulder. I try to concertrate on good form and I just started eating 5-6 meals a day.

What should I change or add to this program to add more weight? I’m only 15 and a half by the way. I have a skinny build (5’9 140) and I dont want to get really big just add about 15 lbs.

Thanks for the help.

Focus on heavy, multi-joint exercises (squats, deadlifts, presses of all sorts, rows, chins). Also, gaining weight is as much of a function of eating big. Check out the Massive Eating articles and start keeping a food log. You might be suprised that you’re undereating by 1000 calories or more. Early issues have some good Poliquin training programs. Also, you could check out the Dawg school articles. You don’t provide enough details of your training for me to really critique what you’re doing.

Just keep working out. When I started I was in a very similar situation. I was 15 and 150lbs. and I also enjoyed fighting. My first workout consisted of Bench 5x5, Squats 5x5, Up-right rows 5 sets x 8 reps. and regular arm curls 5 sets x 8 reps. I grew like crazy I was up to 190lbs ripped. When I graduated I was 17. As I learned more I added more principles to my training. But when you are starting out you don’t need to do much to grow. By the way I also ate every thing in sight. I drank at least a Gallon and a half of milk a day. I was the got milk poster boy.

Good Luck

PS If you want get as big as possible you need to make lifting your number one priority.

Man, what I wouldn’t give to be 15 again and have T-Mag as a reference (not to mention “knowing what I know now”, heh heh)! Jason N. is right on both counts. Focus on big compound-joint movements (bench, squat, row, deads, chins, and powercleans) and eat 1-2 grams of quality protein per pound of body weight every day. Get adequate carbs as well (search the back issues for amounts). Use a diet like Massive Eating, and don’t worry about getting “too big”. You can modify your training and diet after you gain your 15 pounds, although I’d be willing to bet that if you successfully gain that much, you’ll want to gain more. Good luck, and keep us posted.