T Nation

You Making Pay?

With the hockey season now over, is it me or does this just bring to light the fact that people are paid way too much for the wrong professions?

I understand that your worth what someone is willing to pay, but athletes and actors/actresses are getting out of hand.

How can you justify paying someone 6 million a year to throw a ball and yet the teacher you trust your child with makes crap or the doctor that just saved you life will be financially bitch slapped by insurance companies. And don’t get me started about greedy politicians.

[quote]flabtoslab wrote:
With the hockey season now over, is it me or does this just bring to light the fact that people are paid way too much for the wrong professions?

I understand that your worth what someone is willing to pay, but athletes and actors/actresses are getting out of hand.

How can you justify paying someone 6 million a year to throw a ball and yet the teacher you trust your child with makes crap or the doctor that just saved you life will be financially bitch slapped by insurance companies. And don’t get me started about greedy politicians.
[/quote]

Just don’t support it. Don’t go see the movies, don’t buy the DVDs or merchandise. Do go out to the ball game and don’t patronize the advertisers.

Nobody’s forcing anyone to do all that, but hundreds of millions do. That’s were the money comes from. Only a few get to share it, good for them and fine by me.

I’m a lot more pissed off when CEOs pay themselves ridiculous salaries and then slash local jobs and use cheap labor in China, India, Indonesia. Or plan only for a short-term share price hike so that they can exercise their stock options, not worrying that the company might be in deep shit in ten years.

In professional sports, the stars might be making millions, but even the hot dog guy makes at least minimum wage.

In movies, most stage hands and peripheral staff are unionized and have decent wages.

But many corporation have near billions being spent on the board of directors and make that money by paying women and children across the globe mere pennies a day.

And then give some of the millions to a superstar to advertise their shoes, hats or other merchandise and millions of fans, oblivious, rush out and buy them.