You Learn Something Every Day

I tried it again, not over a fire, just the stove.

Boiled 1 cup water. Added 1 cup coffee. Stirred and reduced to a bare simmer. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Strained it.

I ended up with barely 1/2 cup of liquid. I then reconstituted it to 1 cup with more hot water.

Still don’t really care for it, but maybe I’ll try it with some better coffee next time. It’s (obviously) strong, but it mostly just tastes burnt with some acidity and bitterness.

Also, I learned the other day, that my 55,000 BTU wok burner works a lot better for making pan-cooked steak than my electric stove or oven. Who woulda thunk.

Some of the fat in the pan catches fire too, so you get that nice flame-licked crust too.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Real men don’t strain their cowboy coffee. They drink it. And chew it.[/quote]

That’s the way they make it in Indonesia. And yes, if you are so inclined, you may chew on the half-inch of sludge on the bottom of the cup. Or glass, if you’re in Sumatra.

[quote] I learned the other day, that my 55,000 BTU wok burner works a lot better for making pan-cooked steak than my electric stove or oven. Who woulda thunk.

Some of the fat in the pan catches fire too, so you get that nice flame-licked crust too. [/quote]
That’s pretty cool. Do you think it would work with an oxy-acetylene cutter if I kept it on orange flame?

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Also, I learned the other day, that my 55,000 BTU wok burner works a lot better for making pan-cooked steak than my electric stove or oven. Who woulda thunk.

Some of the fat in the pan catches fire too, so you get that nice flame-licked crust too.

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p672/menelfea/716772471_zps6eb17cb6.jpg[/quote]

Alpha

[quote]LoRez wrote:

Boiled 1 cup water. Added 1 cup coffee. Stirred and reduced to a bare simmer. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Strained it.

I ended up with barely 1/2 cup of liquid. I then reconstituted it to 1 cup with more hot water.

Still don’t really care for it, but maybe I’ll try it with some better coffee next time. It’s (obviously) strong, but it mostly just tastes burnt with some acidity and bitterness.[/quote]

I have no idea where this concept of 1:1 coffee to water is coming from.

It’s difficult to call myself a “cowboy,” for some obvious reasons, but I certainly own property in Lincoln County, own and ride horses, and have about 300-400 head that I raise up and sell at any given time. So, I am not exactly Jesse Chisholm, but I know a bit about cowboy ways.

All the coffee I’ve ever seen made on a legitimate chuckwagon was 1 tablespoon or so per cup of water.

In short, you city slickers are over-cowboying it.

[quote]thethirdruffian wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

Still don’t really care for it, but maybe I’ll try it with some better coffee next time. It’s (obviously) strong, but it mostly just tastes burnt with some acidity and bitterness.[/quote]

I have no idea where this concept of 1:1 coffee to water is coming from.

It’s difficult to call myself a “cowboy,” for some obvious reasons, but I certainly own property in Lincoln County, own and ride horses, and have about 300-400 head that I raise up and sell at any given time. So, I am not exactly Jesse Chisholm, but I know a bit about cowboy ways.

All the coffee I’ve ever seen made on a legitimate chuckwagon was 1 tablespoon or so per cup of water.

In short, you city slickers are over-cowboying it.[/quote]

Hey, I’m just going by what I remember from the Lehman’s catalog.

And for white people, it don’t get much less city-slickerish than the Amish.

You’ve never been to Gwernogle then?

[quote]Der_Steppenwolfe wrote:

You’ve never been to Gwernogle then?[/quote]

That place actually exists.

Its part of Carmarthenshire, in the Llanfihangel Rhos-y-Corn parish.

Lets all pray that their caves have elecricity by now.

I know it does. It’s not very far from me.
Last time I was there, they’d managed to put a stop to the cannibalism and the incest, but electricity? I think not…

[quote] I learned the other day, that my 55,000 BTU wok burner works a lot better for making pan-cooked steak than my electric stove or oven. Who woulda thunk.

Some of the fat in the pan catches fire too, so you get that nice flame-licked crust too. [/quote]
That’s pretty cool. Do you think it would work with an oxy-acetylene cutter if I kept it on orange flame?[/quote]

Too sooty. An oxy-propane set up with a rosebud tip would probably rock it though.

When working outside in the winter I’ll make a little hot box out of plate scrap and put a rosebud torch inside. Gets glowing hot and cozy.

Damn, that sounds good.
Unfortunately, dad takes care of most of the machine shop side of things and he has an unreasonable prejudice against propane.
Do all fathers do these things by the way? Like mine hates japanese motorcycles (“plastic toys that you will not bring to my house”), Italian machinery in general etc.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p672/menelfea/716772471_zps6eb17cb6.jpg [/quote]
You sure love that burner lol.

Printers were sent to try us. I hate the administrative side of the business at the best of times, but if this bastard doesn’t start cooperating in pretty short order, I will ascend to the astral plain, travel to some far-off dimension of pain of which mortal men were not meant to know, summon a great army of formless, repellent abominations and return to have the entire staff of EPSON painfully murdered and their souls annihilated.

Damn, that sounds good.
Unfortunately, dad takes care of most of the machine shop side of things and he has an unreasonable prejudice against propane.
Do all fathers do these things by the way? Like mine hates japanese motorcycles (“plastic toys that you will not bring to my house”), Italian machinery in general etc.[/quote]

Yeah, some people prefer acetylene for the higher pre-heat temperature, but it becomes unstable after 15 psi. A plant can’t be piped in with acetylene because of that instability as it is very difficult to maintain stable pressure through numerous manifolds, but it’s great for places where you can dolly it around. I don’t have a preference other than taking a couple of minutes to get used to what ever I’m using.

My dad designed and installed a lot of commercial audio systems. He absolutely hated certain equipment. You couldn’t pay him enough to repair that manufacturers amplifiers. He’d tell people to throw it in the garbage and get a different one.

Sounds familiar.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:
You sure love that burner lol.[/quote]

That, I do. Lol

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

Damn, that sounds good.
Do all fathers do these things by the way? Like mine hates japanese motorcycles (“plastic toys that you will not bring to my house”), Italian machinery in general etc.[/quote]

Yeah, some people prefer acetylene for the higher pre-heat temperature, but it becomes unstable after 15 psi. A plant can’t be piped in with acetylene because of that instability as it is very difficult to maintain stable pressure through numerous manifolds, but it’s great for places where you can dolly it around. I don’t have a preference other than taking a couple of minutes to get used to what ever I’m using.

My dad designed and installed a lot of commercial audio systems. He absolutely hated certain equipment. You couldn’t pay him enough to repair that manufacturers amplifiers. He’d tell people to throw it in the garbage and get a different one.

[/quote]

Which amps did he like the most?

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Yeah, some people prefer acetylene for the higher pre-heat temperature, but it becomes unstable after 15 psi.[/quote]
YEP.