T Nation

You Know You've Hit Rock Bottom When...

Your dad has oral cancer and goes through a huge surgery where they remove a tumor and 16 lymph nodes. And he has to have radiation therapy every day for six weeks and 1-2 chemo treatments. But luckily, he has a 75-80% chance of beating it.

He asks you to move back home to help him out, and it’s stressful enough trying to deal with the above, not to mention a new living situation.

You pay for rent in an apartment you no longer live in, and no one will let you out of your lease early without paying an arm and a leg.

Your car (my baby!) is damaged by some girl that can’t drive and backs into it while it’s parked, tainting it forever.

You’re stressed out beyond belief with everything happening within a two-week period

You lose 10lbs from not eating right or working out regularly and it makes you feel like shit (and I had just made fantastic gains!).

You turn 30.

You have no time with your significant other.

And, finally…

You lose your job!!!

February was such a great month! That’s why you haven’t seen me posting lately.

But at the time it was announced that my job will no longer exist due to restructuring within the firm, I could only laugh.

I’m now taking control of my life and turning it around. I figure that if I can get through this, I can get through anything.

Luckily, I’ve had a few interviews and am hoping to find something better in the near future. As of next week, I’ll be unemployed. As of next month, I’ll start worrying about money to pay the bills.

In the meantime, all I can do is take it day-by-day and turn it all around for the better.

Wish me luck!

Hang in there, bro! Things WILL get better…

Good luck bro, you’ll make it and come out stronger on the other side. I’ve also been through some real trials lately, and I bet you’ll find some relief from getting your training back in order. Be strong.

Claw your way back up!

That’s a rough month, Nate. The Nation is here for ya. You, as well as your dad, will be in our thoughts. Let me just say that, the advancements that have been made in radiotherapy over the past few years are simply amazing. I do research in surgical oncology, and my ex-girlfriend was a radiation oncologist. I have seen, firsthand, some amazing things happen with the advents of cancer treatment. I’m confident that your dad is in good hands.

And on another note:

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
…I’m now taking control of my life and turning it around. I figure that if I can get through this, I can get through anything…

…In the meantime, all I can do is take it day-by-day and turn it all around for the better.

Wish me luck![/quote]

This is evidence that you haven’t hit rock bottom. If you’re still willing to back up, punt, and give it another shot, you can do/have great things.

We’re hear for ya, bro.

~Terumo

Be positiive Dog. There are a lot of people pulling for you and your dad. Getting focused on your training again could be a major source of comfort in your life. God bless you.

Once at the bottom, you can only go up.

I feel your pain

bummer.

however, sounds like you are looking upwards re the job front.

having interviews again is like getting back into the gym after a lay off. your powersnatch feels slow, but after a few sessions, it feels all whippy again.

Hope your father pulls through, and the living together works out. it could be a good thing (said hopefuly)??!!?

turning 30, well, 5 more years and you can enter the hallowed halls of the old gits club (other forum), you can do zip about it, and me persoally, i look forward to my 40’s (am 28, so nearly there). you are wiser, stronger, tougher, kinder and finally all of these plus some means = 18 year olds!!!

Good luck to you, Nate. Sometimes life gets us down and it seems like there is no way to get back on track.

In no way am I trying to compare lists or see who had it worse, but I had a rough last year that I am still working to get past. I lost my job, my wife left me right after moving cross country with me, because of that I was left with no place to live, my car was stolen and used in an armed robbery by my brother, and because of that I didn’t even have my car to sleep in, the same car is now going to get repossessed, and I got behind on all my bills with no sign of catching up any time soon.

But now I have an apartment and a job(a low-paying job, but it’s a job) and I’m slowly, and I mean slowly getting back on my feet. And I’m pretty happy with life right now. I’m doing ok.

You will, too. Just try to keep a positive attitude and outlook. Yeah, I know it’s hard, but things will get better. Being negative only makes it worse. It seems like you already have the right idea. Just take life one-day-at-a-time.

Good luck to you and I hope things start looking better quickly.

Toddy

Nate, I’m so sorry to hear about your dad, as well as all the other stuff going on in your life right now. Stay strong and keep fighting the fight, and things will get better. Your dad is in our prayers! T-Nation is here for you.

While health issues were not a concern, I have certainly gone through the career pain – when a replacemet job was not forthcoming. It will be years yet before I have recovered financially.

Other people having their own problems or advice that it will get better did not help me. So, I don’t really expect my understanding will help you, but realize that all things are temporary.

When these issues pass you will have learned some things about yourself. You will appreciate some things differently. Hang in there and be strong.

[quote]vroom wrote:
People having their own problems or advice that it will get better did not help me. So, I don’t really expect my understanding will help you…[/quote]

Vroom’s exactly right. When someone offered advice or told me about a similar situation that they went through, it didn’t do anything for making me feel better. I didn’t start feeling better until things got better.

I guess all I’m doing is saying good luck, keep your head up, and trust me, things will get better.

This should make you feel better. Your 30 year old wife and mother of your 16 month old daughter didn’t just die of cancer 4 weeks ago.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
vroom wrote:
People having their own problems or advice that it will get better did not help me. So, I don’t really expect my understanding will help you…

Vroom’s exactly right. When someone offered advice or told me about a similar situation that they went through, it didn’t do anything for making me feel better. I didn’t start feeling better until things got better.

I guess all I’m doing is saying good luck, keep your head up, and trust me, things will get better.[/quote]

Yeah man. What can I say? For having your world turned upside down, you sure have your sh!t together. Hang in there and know that the T-Nation is behind you.

BFG

Yo Nate,

Things can only get better from here and it sounds like you know that already. Oh, and i dont think you need much luck because as Chris says “luck is for the unprepared”. from what i have seen of your posts on T-Nation you are a solid dude and if you know as much about your job as you do training and nutrition you should have no problem landing on your feet. i know you cant control your dad’s situation so on that end i hope everything turns out OK.

Trailer

Nate, glad you shared with us and I know I can certainly appreciate your pain. This last month or so has not been a banner month or two for me either (my girlfriend has been fighting her way through chronic myeloid leukemia the last 2 years and then I found out last week that one of my best friends was diagnosed with leukemia as well). I am not sure how much solace it will provide to you, but know that there are a lot of people on this site who are standing behind you. I don’t know if you are a religious/spiritual person or not, but I’m a firm believer in the idea that God doesn’t give you any life situations you can’t handle… so you must be one tough, ornery S.O.B.

Havng tough.

Kuz

• Return with honor.

Oh damn, Nate.

I’d been wondering where you’d disappeared off to, especially with all the hot babe picture threads goin around =)

Now I know. I truly wish your father the best…that is such a scary situation, something I never like thinking about.

Not much else to say, other then stay strong any way you can, and the best of luck to you in the near future.

Its always good to have you around posting, but taking care of your life is definately more important, but keep us updated!

Best of luck!

Dude, I’ve had a rough month. Job stress, significant-other stress, lack of motivation in the gym, etc.

But you just put my shit right back into perspective where it needed to be.

When it rains it pours.

Good luck pulling through.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your comments, thoughts and prayers.

I know things will get better, and I know it could always be worse (as some of you seem to be going through worse or have already).

Bad things happen to all of us at one point or another, and it’s definitely how you react that makes the difference.

I know that with the support of friends, family, my girlfriend, and T-Nation, I can get through this and I’ll be stronger for it.

Again, thank you!