T Nation

You Did Texas Method? Click Here

If you aren’t familiar with the exact routine here it is http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_texas_method

I’ve been training with Texas method for couple of months now. While my buddy of a squat XArena PRed on squat like crazy on this routine, I’ve been stuck and dumbfounded over the Volume Day training percentage, for squat. The training tells you to do 90% of 5RM on volume day for 5x5, but as far as I know, even 80% is going to stall progress. Did Anyone, ANYONE, who did this routine actually benefitted from doing the 90% volume day squatting?

P.S. Cuz if not, its a real dick move telling us readers to do something that doesnt work.

Usually it’s not the program that is the problem (at least if it’s been put on T-Nation). It’s usually the reader.

Eat more, grow more, get stronger, less bitching. If you don’t get results on a program that’s fine, not every program is going to work for every person. Find something that works for you and stop complaining about people putting up relatively good articles for free.

You said:

“my buddy of a squat XArena PRed on squat like crazy on this routine…”

Then you said:

"its a real dick move telling us readers to do something that doesnt work. "

Also, after skimming the article for about 30 secs I read this:

"Load: The weight should be such that all five sets of all five reps can be finished without more than 8-10 minutes rest between sets. For most people, this works out to about 90% of 5RM.

For example, if your 5-rep max squat is 345, then 315 x 5 x 5 would be Monday’s squat workout."

For most people. If you can’t do 90%, do the most you can do. But, if using 8-10 minutes between sets as prescribed, 90% of your 5RM seems reasonable.

[quote]Macmade wrote:
If you aren’t familiar with the exact routine here it is http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_texas_method

I’ve been training with Texas method for couple of months now. While my buddy of a squat XArena PRed on squat like crazy on this routine, I’ve been stuck and dumbfounded over the Volume Day training percentage, for squat. The training tells you to do 90% of 5RM on volume day for 5x5, but as far as I know, even 80% is going to stall progress. Did Anyone, ANYONE, who did this routine actually benefitted from doing the 90% volume day squatting?

P.S. Cuz if not, its a real dick move telling us readers to do something that doesnt work. [/quote]

Iv’e been reading a bunch of stuff lately on Texas method and I got stuck on this for a while too. But What I didnt realize at first is that its 90% of your 5x5 max not just a 5 rep max. I haven’t done it but here are my thoughts for what it is worth. Last time I test my 1 rep max squat was around 435, I’m going to try and squeeze out 405 for a 5 rep in about two weeks on my program ( not running TM )but there is no way in hell that I could do 405 for 5x5. I would estimate my 5x5 max at around 350 with 90% of that being a starting weight of 315. I’m confident that with starting at that weight that I could still progress for many weeks/months without failing.

From what I can tell, the program is designed to have high volume on mondays and then high weight on Fridays.

I would try using your 5x5 max rather than a true 5 rep max and I think the volume day will give you much more breathing room. That’s just my thoughts on it though and Ive never run that program yet.

Most who use Texas Method do so after beginner linear programming completely stalls (IE Starting Strength).

Say you ended starting strength with a squat of 315x3x5.

On your first INTENSITY day, you are supposed to just hit 315x5.

Then work backwards, and your first VOLUME day should be roughly 90% of the 315x5 (285x5x5).

The idea for the volume work is to drive the intensity work. You want to do as little volume as your body needs to drive up the intensity day. It’s been suggested that some may even drop volume day down to 4x5, or 3x5 (but don’t worry about that right now). If your intensity day isn’t going up, and you are 90%+ on volume day, you are probably doing too much on volume day. Try to drop the weight a little bit and build back up. Likewise, if your volume day is less than 90% and your intensity day isn’t going up, you probably need to do more. There’s a post on Rip’s forums that summarizes tons of users loads, and most are only working with about 85%. You tweak it as you see fit.

If you’ve manipulated volume day, and you have done a reset, and you are still stalling, then you can use a 3RM on intensity day, or do doubles, or 3-5 singles. Just keep adding weight to the bar.

Last edit: if you still don’t understand this basic program, go buy Practical Programming.

It’s clear that you’re destined never to squat more than 300lbs…

Kidding.

Everyone is different on this routine, I saw my best progress when my volume day was 3x5 @ 75% of 5rm.

[quote]BigBartDawg66 wrote:
You said:

“my buddy of a squat XArena PRed on squat like crazy on this routine…”

Then you said:

"its a real dick move telling us readers to do something that doesnt work. "

Also, after skimming the article for about 30 secs I read this:

"Load: The weight should be such that all five sets of all five reps can be finished without more than 8-10 minutes rest between sets. For most people, this works out to about 90% of 5RM.

For example, if your 5-rep max squat is 345, then 315 x 5 x 5 would be Monday’s squat workout."

For most people. If you can’t do 90%, do the most you can do. But, if using 8-10 minutes between sets as prescribed, 90% of your 5RM seems reasonable.[/quote]

I can do that. 90% is difficult to manage within 8-10 minutes but im capable, the thing is even if I was to do that, I can guarantee the intensity day that follows after 5-6 days of rest will fail.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
Usually it’s not the program that is the problem (at least if it’s been put on T-Nation). It’s usually the reader.

Eat more, grow more, get stronger, less bitching. If you don’t get results on a program that’s fine, not every program is going to work for every person. Find something that works for you and stop complaining about people putting up relatively good articles for free.[/quote]

The problem Im having is finding the right percentage for Volume Day training. I’ve made about 40lbs gain on squat so far in 3 months, but the gains were not consistent as it fluctuates giantly everytime I tweak my percentage (for good and for bad). In two weeks, I made 20lbs gain, this week I added 5lbs to my volume day and my poundage dropped by an estimated 20lbs.

One problem with commentators who lurk the forum is not having an inclusive understanding of OP’s problem, but choose to give an answer from a rather banal and simplistic approach. Examples such as telling one to eat more. I drink 1.33 litres of milk aday, macros equivalent of 7 chicken breasts, 3 cups of rice and 3-5 eggs a day as the basis of my diet, I weight 155lbs.

This routine definitely works great on squat, if one’s able to grasp the percentage successfully like XArena. But it’s a troll move to give as high of an expectation as 90% on volume day in the article.

1 Like

[quote]Re.po wrote:

[quote]Macmade wrote:

P.S. Cuz if not, its a real dick move telling us readers to do something that doesnt work. [/quote]

Iv’e been reading a bunch of stuff lately on Texas method and I got stuck on this for a while too. But What I didnt realize at first is that its 90% of your 5x5 max not just a 5 rep max. I haven’t done it but here are my thoughts for what it is worth. Last time I test my 1 rep max squat was around 435, I’m going to try and squeeze out 405 for a 5 rep in about two weeks on my program ( not running TM )but there is no way in hell that I could do 405 for 5x5. I would estimate my 5x5 max at around 350 with 90% of that being a starting weight of 315. I’m confident that with starting at that weight that I could still progress for many weeks/months without failing.

From what I can tell, the program is designed to have high volume on mondays and then high weight on Fridays.

I would try using your 5x5 max rather than a true 5 rep max and I think the volume day will give you much more breathing room. That’s just my thoughts on it though and Ive never run that program yet. [/quote]

90% of 5x5? Now it kinda makes sense. thanks!

[quote]gabex wrote:
Most who use Texas Method do so after beginner linear programming completely stalls (IE Starting Strength).

Say you ended starting strength with a squat of 315x3x5.

On your first INTENSITY day, you are supposed to just hit 315x5.

Then work backwards, and your first VOLUME day should be roughly 90% of the 315x5 (285x5x5).

The idea for the volume work is to drive the intensity work. You want to do as little volume as your body needs to drive up the intensity day. It’s been suggested that some may even drop volume day down to 4x5, or 3x5 (but don’t worry about that right now). If your intensity day isn’t going up, and you are 90%+ on volume day, you are probably doing too much on volume day. Try to drop the weight a little bit and build back up. Likewise, if your volume day is less than 90% and your intensity day isn’t going up, you probably need to do more. There’s a post on Rip’s forums that summarizes tons of users loads, and most are only working with about 85%. You tweak it as you see fit.

If you’ve manipulated volume day, and you have done a reset, and you are still stalling, then you can use a 3RM on intensity day, or do doubles, or 3-5 singles. Just keep adding weight to the bar.

Last edit: if you still don’t understand this basic program, go buy Practical Programming.[/quote]

Yeah, adaptation seems to be the key. But the margin between the percentage that overtrains and the percentage that undertrains is pretty tiny, it’s hard to really know what weight you shuld use. E.g. I did 225x5x5 for two weeks and last week I tweaked it to 230x5x5 and that absolutely killed me. But im pretty sure 225x5x5 will be undertraining cuz I’ve used the same weight when I was squatting 255x5. So where’s the boundary? If I drop to 3x5, and use 230, that’s still a huge discrepancy between whats prescribed in the article and what actually works.

[quote]Macmade wrote:
that’s still a huge discrepancy between whats prescribed in the article and what actually works.[/quote]

What may work for you or others, isn’t what always works for other people. The program was written for a general populace. Chances are, if you eat more, sleep more, and recover better it’d even work for you as written.

1 Like

[quote]Macmade wrote:

[quote]Re.po wrote:

[quote]Macmade wrote:

I would try using your 5x5 max rather than a true 5 rep max and I think the volume day will give you much more breathing room. That’s just my thoughts on it though and Ive never run that program yet. [/quote]

90% of 5x5? Now it kinda makes sense. thanks!
[/quote]

Ya like I said I haven’t run it yet but that’s how I would start. Im not sure if thats exactly how Rip meant but I always figure it’s better to start light and give yourself some room to grow. Others that have run it may have better insight.

[quote]Macmade wrote:
that’s still a huge discrepancy between whats prescribed in the article and what actually works.[/quote]

What may work for you or others, isn’t what always works for other people. The program was written for a general populace. Chances are, if you eat more, sleep more, and recover better it’d even work for you as written.[/quote]

Id really like to know those people who’ve used 90% and actually succeeded. Both me and XArena used percentages less than whats prescribe. XArena was able to improve substantially while I, using more volume, experienced otherwise.

[quote]Macmade wrote:

[quote]Macmade wrote:

What may work for you or others, isn’t what always works for other people. The program was written for a general populace. Chances are, if you eat more, sleep more, and recover better it’d even work for you as written.[/quote]

Id really like to know those people who’ve used 90% and actually succeeded. Both me and XArena used percentages less than whats prescribe. XArena was able to improve substantially while I, using more volume, experienced otherwise. [/quote]

i completed the 12 weeks a while ago using 90%. 5rm went from 305 to 355

[quote]Macmade wrote:
Id really like to know those people who’ve used 90% and actually succeeded. Both me and XArena used percentages less than whats prescribe. XArena was able to improve substantially while I, using more volume, experienced otherwise. [/quote]
I actually did this today (90% of my 5rm for 5x5). It sucked, but I was having a serious off day. On a good day it wouldn’t be too bad.

I haven’t done Texas method though, so I don’t know where it would fit in that programme and the relative cumulative fatigue etc.

One thing I do know is that, more than any other lift, the squat requires balls of steal and mental strength like a vice. You won’t succeed on any squatting programme without those.

Just try something else like Juggernaut, 5/3/1 etc