T Nation

YOU are SELFISH

In Obama’s latest stump, he accused everyone who did not want to give up their money for others as “selfish”.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/10/obamas-new-atta.html#comments

Sorry Barry, YOU are rich and your Aunt and brother live in squalor. Help them out? No.

Read the comments underneath the article.

Way to go ABC!!! It’s about time we see other news agencies besides Fox to show a candidate for what they really represent through what they are really saying…

I think BO is in trouble.


Obama’s New Attack on Those Who Don’t Want Higher Taxes: �??Selfishness�??
October 31, 2008 10:58 AM

On the stump this week, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., has pushed back against Sen. John McCain’s description of his tax policies.

“The reason that we want to do this, change our tax code, is not because I have anything against the rich,” Obama said in Sarasota, Florida, yesterday. "I love rich people! I want all of you to be rich. Go for it. That�??s the America dream, that�??s the American way, that�??s terrific.

"The point is, though, that – and it�??s not just charity, it�??s not just that I want to help the middle class and working people who are trying to get in the middle class – it�??s that when we actually make sure that everybody�??s got a shot �?? when young people can all go to college, when everybody�??s got decent health care, when everybody�??s got a little more money at the end of the month �?? then guess what? Everybody starts spending that money, they decide maybe I can afford a new car, maybe I can afford a computer for my child. They can buy the products and services that businesses are selling and everybody is better off. All boats rise. That�??s what happened in the 1990s, that�??s what we need to restore. And that�??s what I�??m gonna do as president of the United States of America.

“John McCain and Sarah Palin they call this socialistic,” Obama continued. “You know I don�??t know when, when they decided they wanted to make a virtue out of selfishness.”

It’s unclear if this was a nod to the Ayn Rand book “The Virtue of Selfishness,” with all that the invocation of Rand implies.

It would seem to be, given the themes of Rand’s work, what happens when independent achievers are demonized.

Which would fit with this description of those who want to keep their hard-earned tax dollars as “selfish.”

Atlas may not be shrugging, but Obama is.

– jpt

I bet his ass would be selfish if I showed up on his front porch and told him I wanted to move in and not work.

For all who want Obama, where do you live cuz I’m coming over to raid your kitchen. It’s the NEW American Way. Entitlement to Shit That Ain’t Yours.

I wouldn’t call it selfish, more protecting your self-interest.

That said, I like his point about “trickle up economics” being good for the country overall.

[quote]forlife wrote:
I wouldn’t call it selfish, more protecting your self-interest.

That said, I like his point about “trickle up economics” being good for the country overall.[/quote]

The economy never “Trickles up”. Poverty trickles up though!

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
forlife wrote:
I wouldn’t call it selfish, more protecting your self-interest.

That said, I like his point about “trickle up economics” being good for the country overall.

The economy never “Trickles up”. Poverty trickles up though!
[/quote]

QFT

[quote]forlife wrote:

That said, I like his point about “trickle up economics” being good for the country overall.[/quote]

Yeah, leave the health of the economy to the least motivated, least productive people in the nation.

Brilliant.

They have done this in Britain for years, the government confiscates as much money as it can from working people and then lavishes it on what the British call benefits.

What this does is makes it much harder for working people to get ahead because of all the dead weight of welfare recipients.

Then there are all the people who have lived useless lives on welfare who are incapable of fending for themselves and are completely dependent upon the government.

It is not good for democracy for the people to be completely dependent upon the government like the socialists try to make everyone.

Obama’s idea of trickle up economics is not good for America. Most of our consumer goods like cars and computers are made overseas.

If Americans run down to WalMart and go on a spending spree, China is the country that will benefit. So unless people consciously buy American the only Americans who will benefit are minimum wage earners, the bulk of the money will go abroad.

[quote]forlife wrote:
I wouldn’t call it selfish, more protecting your self-interest.

That said, I like his point about “trickle up economics” being good for the country overall.[/quote]

Hurray Keynes.

And no, it does not work that way.

[quote]forlife wrote:
I wouldn’t call it selfish, more protecting your self-interest.

That said, I like his point about “trickle up economics” being good for the country overall.[/quote]

It’s called bubble-up economics. That’s not what he is advocating. He is taking from some to give to others, that’s dickheaded. Government enforced charity is designed to make slaves of people.

Redistribution is burdening some to make up for the debt of others.

Message to Obama from Pat: Fuck You.

[quote]forlife wrote:
I wouldn’t call it selfish, more protecting your self-interest.

That said, I like his point about “trickle up economics” being good for the country overall.[/quote]

It really doesnt matter what you would call it since your not running for the presidency of the United States of America. The problem is that the guy who is running does call it selfishness.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
forlife wrote:

That said, I like his point about “trickle up economics” being good for the country overall.

Yeah, leave the health of the economy to the least motivated, least productive people in the nation.

Brilliant.[/quote]

Exactly. I don’t understand this “trickle up.”

Where will this money do more good – in the hands of people who are “selfish” and want to turn it into more money? Or spread way out among people who haven’t proved they can manage their own earnings, let alone a little extra?

And, for the record, I actually support some levels of social welfare.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Yeah, leave the health of the economy to the least motivated, least productive people in the nation.
[/quote]

Are you suggesting all those who would fall under his tax break are the least motivated, least productive people in the nation ?

The only reason I ask is, there are TONS of hard working, motivated, productive people in this nation who fall into the grouping of getting the tax break, who pay taxes and are NOT asking for a handout.

[quote]therover wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
Yeah, leave the health of the economy to the least motivated, least productive people in the nation.

Are you suggesting all those who would fall under his tax break are the least motivated, least productive people in the nation ?

The only reason I ask is, there are TONS of hard working, motivated, productive people in this nation who fall into the grouping of getting the tax break, who pay taxes and are NOT asking for a handout.

[/quote]

Well, if they’re not asking for a handout, they won’t be voting Obama.

[quote]therover wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
Yeah, leave the health of the economy to the least motivated, least productive people in the nation.

Are you suggesting all those who would fall under his tax break are the least motivated, least productive people in the nation ?

[/quote]

Not at all. “Bottom Up” economy means exactly that.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
therover wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
Yeah, leave the health of the economy to the least motivated, least productive people in the nation.

Are you suggesting all those who would fall under his tax break are the least motivated, least productive people in the nation ?

The only reason I ask is, there are TONS of hard working, motivated, productive people in this nation who fall into the grouping of getting the tax break, who pay taxes and are NOT asking for a handout.

Well, if they’re not asking for a handout, they won’t be voting Obama.[/quote]

This is simply untrue. Obama has support across all income levels (as does McCain). The last poll to look at the issue found support among the wealthy was tied. Obama and McCain each received 48% of the votes among likely voters in a survey of the wealthiest 10% of US households.

About 4% of the likely voters indicated they had not made a decision or were supporting another candidate.

The survey participants had an average income of $304,000 and an average net worth of $3.1 million

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Sloth wrote:
therover wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
Yeah, leave the health of the economy to the least motivated, least productive people in the nation.

Are you suggesting all those who would fall under his tax break are the least motivated, least productive people in the nation ?

The only reason I ask is, there are TONS of hard working, motivated, productive people in this nation who fall into the grouping of getting the tax break, who pay taxes and are NOT asking for a handout.

Well, if they’re not asking for a handout, they won’t be voting Obama.

This is simply untrue. Obama has support across all income levels (as does McCain). The last poll to look at the issue found support among the wealthy was tied. Obama and McCain each received 48% of the votes among likely voters in a survey of the wealthiest 10% of US households.

About 4% of the likely voters indicated they had not made a decision or were supporting another candidate.

The survey participants had an average income of $304,000 and an average net worth of $3.1 million
[/quote]

Because they’re asking for handouts on behalf of others.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
Sloth wrote:
therover wrote:
SteelyD wrote:
Yeah, leave the health of the economy to the least motivated, least productive people in the nation.

Are you suggesting all those who would fall under his tax break are the least motivated, least productive people in the nation ?

The only reason I ask is, there are TONS of hard working, motivated, productive people in this nation who fall into the grouping of getting the tax break, who pay taxes and are NOT asking for a handout.

Well, if they’re not asking for a handout, they won’t be voting Obama.

This is simply untrue. Obama has support across all income levels (as does McCain). The last poll to look at the issue found support among the wealthy was tied. Obama and McCain each received 48% of the votes among likely voters in a survey of the wealthiest 10% of US households.

About 4% of the likely voters indicated they had not made a decision or were supporting another candidate.

The survey participants had an average income of $304,000 and an average net worth of $3.1 million

Because they’re asking for handouts on behalf of others.[/quote]

That will primarily be financed by them. But still a fair characterization, I suppose, given that those without income tax will receive a credit.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
forlife wrote:
I wouldn’t call it selfish, more protecting your self-interest.

That said, I like his point about “trickle up economics” being good for the country overall.

The economy never “Trickles up”. Poverty trickles up though!
[/quote]

Apparently, it don’t really trickle down either. Let’s get real, it’s time for some good old fashioned Keynesian pump priming. The private sector is standing in line with one hand out and one hand holding their johnsons. I don’t see Citibank rushing to the rescue.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
In Obama’s latest stump, he accused everyone who did not want to give up their money for others as “selfish”.

[/quote]

He of course means they’d rather not give up their money via government, for “economic justice.” No Obama, that’s not selfish. It’s freedom.