York Olympic Bars - Any Good?

I was wondering if anyone out there uses the Olympic bars made by York. Are they any good? They seem to be one of the more reasonably priced bars around and unfortunately I don’t have a big enough budget for my home gym to go for something like Eleiko or one of the top brands.

I do some Olympic lifting but nothing excessive, so I don’t need a top level competition bar. I just want a bar that will get the job done until I save up some more!

Cheers,

Ben

10,000 times better than the shitty bars you get with a typical “kit” at the sporting good store.

The york training bar are a lot better than regular gym bars. BUT as far as olympic lifting bar goes, it’s not as smooth (there seem to be more friction in the bearings so that the sleeve of the bar doesn’t roll as well) as eleiko bars. But the later are more expensive.

That having been said, the york bar is very decent and I use one quite often. It’s weird, but the bar they made in the late 70s and early 80s were much better… we still have 2 of those and they are the best bar I trained on.

What will it take for a “white”(no racism intended) guy to win the 100 meters? What is it about West African descended persons that allow them to win the 100 meters so often? Is it stride length? Stride frequency? It’s not technical perfection i am sure. What can be increased in humans that has not been explored? more strength is not her answer as pnly so much strength can be used in the time frame available.
Brandon Green

[quote]cccp21 wrote:
What will it take for a “white”(no racism intended) guy to win the 100 meters? What is it about West African descended persons that allow them to win the 100 meters so often? Is it stride length? Stride frequency? It’s not technical perfection i am sure. What can be increased in humans that has not been explored? more strength is not her answer as pnly so much strength can be used in the time frame available.
Brandon Green[/quote]

WTF?

I was reading people’s comments about York bars and stumbled upon this golden nugget. The venerable Bob Hoffman might have had an opinion or two for you on this one.

Anyway, who gives a shit? What good is the answer to this question gonna do for the majority of us? None in my opinion.

However, I wouldn’t be so quick to say technical proficiency is not a component of this success. Proficiency is not perfection. All world class sprinters are technically proficient even though their individual anatomical differences often throw a little “signature” into the kinesiological mix.

Racist thinking or not, it has been established that genetic (yeah, yeah as well as socio-cultural) factors are largely responsible for this difference.

All coaches can do is stay abreast of the lastest developments in sports training and thank god when they get a white athlete with the “right” genetic mix a la that kid out of Baylor University who won the Olympic gold in the 400 meters.

My bad, cccp. I thought you said technical proficiency not perfection. Well your right about that. You ain’t gonna see technical perfection blue, brown, black or white perfection. Valery Borzov was about the only sprinter I’ve seen who without such “perfection” would not have been as successfull as he was.

[quote]Need4Speed wrote:
cccp21 wrote:
Brandon Green

WTF?[/quote]

Uh, guys I think the last few posts have nothing to do with my thread! Please go to the relevant thread unless you have something to say about York Oly bars,LOL!

[Moderator Note: This tends to happen during Prime Time, due to members clicking on different contributors’ names in the Prime Time box on the home page and being taken to the last thread the given contributor posted on.]

I was an Olympic lifter and thrower in college. I agree with Christian, York bars are not in the same class as Eleiko and they are not what they used to be. Eleiko is the standard. However, I can’t see where that is really a big deal unless you are planning on doing max effort singles or hosting sanctioned competitions. For the typical training setting, the York will do a great job.

I think York has corrected the problem with their bars. When they introduced the new style of bar and bumpers a few years ago, the bars weren’t that good. In fact, at one of the national level contests they debuted them in, the bar actually locked up! I think the backup bar locked up too, so no one was overly impressed.

From what I’ve heard these problems are a thing of the past, although they still don’t spin as nicely as an Eleiko or Uesaka.