Yoohoo Dr. Pangloss

Hey Doc,

I decided to reboot this thread to have a look-see with you on this chart:

What do your think? I think it looks like a bear market for the next couple of years.

Looks like Doc has other things going on so I will carry on without him.

If you look at the chart I linked it’s a ten year chart of the S&P 500 index. What I notice when I look at this chart is for eight years the index consistently made higher highs and higher lows. An investor in the S&P 500 simply can’t ask for better.

Unfortunately, since about last April that trend has been broken. The index since that time has been making lower highs and lower lows. Nobody’s been hurt much by this so far but the trend line looks to have crested a mountain and is now going down the back side. I haven’t shorted stocks in years and years and I’m not sure I will now because, in my opinion, shorting stocks requires constant vigilance which I don’t the time or interest to give. From here though if the index moves back up to the range of 2000 to 2050 I will be very tempted to put in a short.

Another short candidate I see is Amazon. AMZN is so richly valued with a PE of over 900. If consumer spending takes a dip Amazon will take a bath (sorry, couldn’t help myself). One thing that pretty much guarantees I would never take such a position is the cost of gas is so low. I just filled up for 2.16 per gallon. With Americans saving so much on gas they’re bound to be buying all kinds of crap on that E-Wallmart.

Thoughts anyone?

Bump!

Since it was part of this thread, I figured I’d revive it-

Bought some marijuana yesterday- CBDN @ $3.64/share. Nothing huge, but the chart looked so good I couldn’t resist.

Anybody else into anything interesting lately?

All I see is red when I log onto Fidelity… :facepalm:

There has been a lot of that lately. At the wifes urging I sold a couple that weren’t going anywhere, up or down, and got some Nintendo a little while back. Nice gain at first, then its sliding back down. Relatively up, but nothing crazy. Up about 10% since yesterday on the weed though.

1 Like

I almost bought Nintendo when the Pokemon crazy started. I’m glad I didn’t. I’ve had Sony stock forever and it’s never really moved.

I just took a shot on CMND. It’s just boring med tech, but I like the PE ratio.

I took TWTR for a ride this summer and saw a 35% jump before selling. I’m considering buying again if it drops below 17. Just kicking myself for not putting more in, initially.

I’m suffering that kicking myself thing right now.

TWTR has had some crazy peaks and valleys. What got you into it?

I’ve got some interesting stuff on, I’ll add to this thread a bit later. I’ve had some big losers this year, too.

1 Like

Honestly, two reasons. The first is more of a gut instinct. In that Twitter is almost irreplaceable as a social network (which, ironically I don’t use) and it’s stock value didn’t match what I perceived to be its value to users.

The second was their desire to enter live streaming and periscope was gaining momentum. I almost sold, but they bought a U.K. Video streaming company then announced streaming NFL games and the debates and it steadily climbed.

I made a commitment at the beginning of the year to follow 3 companies closely and TWTR happened to pay off, albeit small due to my inability to go all in. Lol

Are you sure you got that ticker symbol right Sky? CBDN looks like a thinly traded Brazilian stock.

Are you guys trolling us?

My favorite investment theme right now is auto pilot. As you probably all know I’m a huge Tesla fan but Tesla could fail. They’ve got massive debt, massive spending, they are pushing the time tables too hard and the acquisition of SCTY is way too big of a burden.

Tesla could fail but auto pilot is an unstoppable trend at this point. The trick is to figure out which companies are the best ones to put your capital into. MBLY is good, NVDA is great. I’m sure there are other good auto pilot plays, please share. I’m all ears.

The most profit I’ve made this year is from trading a POS Chinese solar company called JA Solar or JASO. The great thing about knowing a stock is a piece of shit is you have no emotional investment so no qualms about selling it.

JASO has the most ridiculously low PE (possibly the lowest PE of any stock on the NASDAQ or NYSE) and solar is an industry of the future so I’m never afraid the buy the POS when it gets crazy low and since I know its a POS I sale it when it invariably spikes up. I just sold it yet again last Friday after only owning it for a few weeks. The price will drop again and I will repeat.

Good catch! It’s CBDS. Cannabis Sativa inc.

What happened in March to get that blunt fired up?

CNMD… :derp:

There has been a lot of movement on the decriminalization/legalization and medical use side of it. This got my attention- http://www.health.pa.gov/My%20Health/Diseases%20and%20Conditions/M-P/MedicalMarijuana/Pages/default.aspx#.V_-brPWcFjo

And I’ve had it on my watch list for a while, since reading about it in Forbes. Seeing it consistently green in a sea of red made it hard to resist too.

How do you read that to know when to jump in/out? I was looking at the chart and it has some really distinct spikes. Is it as simple as jumping out near the peak as long as it is a good bit higher than where you bought at?

Getting out of JASO is easy. The POS CEO and his crownies have made a buyout offer to steal the company for 9.69 per share. If the price gets up close to 9 it’s an easy sell because there is not much more upside from there so why hold.

Going long is more about the price getting too ridiculously cheap. Understand, the PE is under 3 and their cash reserves are larger than their market cap. In other words the company is valued at less then their cash reserves. They do have debt but even considering that, the stock price is selling for much less than book value. This is why I ay the CEO is stealing the company with his 9.69 offer.

Thanks OE. I’m going to see what I can do about setting aside a little to use to just buy and sell on that.