Yogurt Or Cottage Cheese

Is the casein to whey ratio the same in yogurt and cottage cheese as in milk? I am thinking of the over night fast here, and because yogurt is often nicer than cottage cheese.

Also, does eating yogurt avoid the health problems associated with milk? ie. allergies and flatulance etc. Apparently cottage cheese does (not sure about the cancer link though).

Look at the ingrediants closely.

Milk has lactose sugar. Many people have trouble digesting lactose and as such have bacteria that digest it and produce gas in the intestines. One can use Lactaid pills (enzyme to digest lactose). The gas may be just lactose intolerance.

Actual alergy to milk protein is also a possiblilty. This will also lead to gas.

When I looked at the yogurt it did not have very much protein as compared to cottage cheese. I do not know the specific protein makeup in yogurt.

Both! There’s a low-carb one called CarbCountdown (http://www.hphood.com/products/products.list.Cb.asp). It’s got 50% more protein (Whey) and the casein we like. It’s got the bacteria that’s good for digestion, and it’s low in lactose. Personally, I like them for breakfast or before bed. Sometimes if I am looking for more protein, I’ll stuff a couple tablespoons of cottage cheese just before bed.

I have a related question: lactose in milk while having a low GI has a very high II (insulin index). That is, the lactose digests slowly yet it still causes a very significant rise in insulin levels. Is this also true of cottage cheese, yogurt?

Crowbar

[quote]Rich Hand wrote:
…(not sure about the cancer link though). [/quote]

Cancer link?

Yustas

In communities who eat dairy as part of their daily diet a positive correlation can be seen between this intake and cancer. However, I do know that consuming organic milk instead of inorganic milk reduces this risk atleast in women; to do with the IGF levels.

I’d like to know about whether cottage cheese causes a big insulin response too. I’m looking for a slow digesting protein to eat before bed.

If it does cause this response it wouldn’t be a good idea to eat it before bed. As an alternative a P+F meal would be a good idea as fats seem to slow the apsorbtion of protein, limiting overnight catabolism.

Here’s a quote from JB’s “Bed Time Story” article.
“At this point, you might be asking yourself why I simply don’t recommend milk. Well, I’m hesitate to suggest milk as a result of the recent data showing that unfermented, intact milk (skim or whole) may not be all that great for you. The high incidence of milk allergies and lactose intolerance coupled with a huge insulin index makes me hesitant to give my endorsement to the moo juice. However, milk products like cottage cheese behave differently than milk and are another solid choice. The whey content of cottage cheese could use some beefing up though, so don’t be afraid to throw in some whey or milk isolates.”
So it appears that cottage cheese doesn’t have the huge II that regular ol’ milk does, and it only contains 5 grams of CHO per serving. But I think I remember that yogurt (even sugar free) does cause a large insulin response. Although, years ago TC stated that he feels that every bodybuilder should eat one serving of yogurt every day for the benificial live cultures it contains. I personally wouldn’t eat yogurt before bed.

The question of whether or not yogurt and cottage cheese have high GI or II ratings could be easily answered if there was a single, consolidated, user friendly database available. However, there is not one. The most recommended database, that I know of, is Dr. Mendosas. His huge database on the GI of foods is almost useless. I mean, he has corn flakes ranging from the 50’s to the 80’s. Why the HUGE discrepancy? I know, I know, different labs and different methodologies. But wouldn’t it be nice if scientists just said “the glycemic indice of corn flakes is 75, period! let’s print that and then move on to the next food.”

Well that’s good news about the II of cottage cheese - just be careful because I’ve seen skim milk included in the ingredients of some of the low fat variwties of cottage cheese!

I feel that soldierslim - what a pain in the ass! I read an article the other day saying that sourdough bread could help improve the insulin response to certain meals - i wanted to find a GI for it to see if it was a good idea to buy some - the range was huge lol!