Yogi's Random Training Thoughts

…and now back to the safety of the shadows…

3 Likes

Tried out the new upper routine - it’s taking a bit too long so I’m going to have to trim it a bit. It’ll now be:

Bench - 50% method a la Paul Carter
Machine Chest Supported Row - rest-pause
Incline Dumbbell - 350 method
Dumbbell Row - 350 method
Machine Chest Press - intensity technique
Pulldowns - intensity technique

Lots of Paul Carter influence there.

My new gym means it’s also hard to get a squat rack, so on leg days when the squat rack is full I will do:

Leg Extensions
Leg Curls
Dumbbell Bulgarian SS
Leg Press
Abs

I did that leg routine today and while I feel it does a better job of targeting my thighs preferentially over my hips (which I like), it doesn’t match the GVT front squats in terms of brutalising my entire body, so it’s hard to say which is actually the better choice. I think how I’ll do it is I’ll always do the GVT when the squat racks are free, but I’ll secretly always be hoping they’re not free so I can do the other leg workout.

3 Likes

And I got asked out in the gym today! There’s life in the old dog yet.

6 Likes

Do you have dumbbells heavy enough for goblet squats? They were my back up when the rack was busy.

That meat guy finally found the courage to ask you out, huh?

5 Likes

Walked into my gym yesterday and there were some fucking rings hanging in my favorite squat rack. Like Gymnastic rings, wtf.

Luckily, there are four other squat racks, but that is my favorite squat rack.

A few minutes later, the Asian girl that was dead lifting came over to my favorite squat rack and did some fat man pull up style shit on the rings. Then, she went over to the rowing machine and rowed for a few minutes, back to deadlift, back to rings.

I was pissed. How dare she do that in my squat rack.

But, she was pretty jacked, and there were four other squat racks, so I got over it. I curled in my squat rack to teach her a lesson.

Don’t think she got it.

15 Likes

She’s jacked but is she hot?

1 Like

I wish! Had to settle for a girl instead

1 Like

That’s a really good idea - I can do goblet squats instead of the leg press.

Never really liked doing leg presses, and the dumbbells in the new gym go up to 50k.

I’ve done it before when I had planned to back squat, rack was busy so I done leg extensions and hams while I waited, checked the rack and was still taken. Grabbed the dumbbells and worked my way up the rack doing sets of 10, ended up doing about 8 sets.

By the time I got on the rack a could barely squat a plate, mostly due to my core being fried.

Also any excuse I have not to squat I use!

yeah, the more I think about it, the more I like it as an idea.

I hate the leg press. I’ve never found one that I could comfortably use (probably more due to my own lack of mobility/flexibility than anything wrong with the machines themselves).

Goblet squats’d drill a more comfortable squatting technique, too. Not being able to load them up as heavily would mean higher reps and shorter rest, which my legs seem to grow best from.

I’m sold - leg press is out, goblet squats are in!

2 Likes

Literally have just read from post 950 to 1251 because I was so behind in your thread its ridiculous
Probably was already stated somewhere in that fucking bible passage you posted but why are you supposed to only cycle clen for such short periods and have similar off periods (7 on/off) etc?
Is that a personal preference or how its ACTUALLY supposed to be done?
Have been offered over and over and im still on the fence as ive seen the effects it has on lady friends (they were fucking mental) ((like more then usual))

your beta receptors downregulate really super fast. Like, in less than a week. You can take drugs like ketotifen to keep them running hot for longer, but, given how bad for you clen is, I really don’t think it’s a good idea (ketotifen is not without sides of its own, either).

Some people like to run it 2 days on/2 days off, but if you understand the half life then you’d see that by your second day off you’ve hardly cleared the clen from your system, so going back on doesn’t make any sense. I generally do 5 on/ 9 off.

Clen will rev your nervous system up to the nth degree, so yeah if you’re naturally anxious and sensitive to stimulants it’ll absolutely brutalise you, as it does me.

It’s just the classic risk:reward type scenario. You feel like you want to die, but you drop fat so fast you can see a difference in your physique literally day by day. It’s up to the individual whether or not that’s worth it.

EDIT: and if you are planning on using clen you really owe it to yourself to read that article I posted.

2 Likes

Such blasphemy on the day Rippetoe rose from the dead.

Honestly, if I could only do one quad exercise, it would be Smith Machine Hack Squats.

1 Like

y’know, I’ve never actually tried those! I think the Smith’s fucking brilliant though and do like it for a variety of things.

Smiths are even harder to get a shot of than racks at my gym but I could switch out the goblets for Smith hacks every now and then if the opportunity arose.

1 Like

Superset them.

Close stance, feet in front of you and pointed out, plates under heels, torso vertical for Smith Hack Squats, then Goblet Squats with shoulder width stance.

Look upon me! I’ll show you how much heresy I can spread on the day of Rippetoe’s ressurection!

2 Likes

how much milk should one consume when following said protocol?

3 Likes

That depends on how much of a heretic you are. I’m so far gone that even if I write a program for myself, I don’t DTFP.

3 Likes

did you see the thread in Paul Carter’s subforum where the guy describes himself as “a student of program design” like there was some kind of academic, theoretical side to it?

Got a giggle out of me

5 Likes

Can’t blame him. He’s probably natty.

2 Likes