T Nation

Yikes, I Weigh 320lbs

Well, I weighed myself today…Mother F*%^#)@! Piece of S%*# Scale. I hate that damn thing.

Back Squats

10x3xBW
10x2xbar
10x1xbar + 20#
5x2xbar + 20 #

This the 2nd session I’ve worked on squat form. When doing body weight I can feel and see via a mirror that I’m getting a full ROM in the squat. But, when I switched to the bar only I couldn’t get the same depth in the squat. I think there are two reasons for this. One, my quads are weak and can’t handle the depth in the squat with the little weight from the bar and/or two, there isn’t enough weight on the bar to ‘push’ me down.

When I added the two 10# plates it was a little better and starting with my second set I could feel myself going low into the squat. I was tempted to add more weight for another set, but since I couldn’t walk for three days following my first squat session I though it would be better to work into this a little slower so I can get a couple of workouts in this weekend instead of being propped up on the couch w/sore quads.

Any particular DB exercise I can use the supplement this work to help me expedite strengthening my quads?

Quad extensions
10x1x110
10x1x120
10x1x130

Ham curls
10x1x100
10x2x110

Calf raise
10x1x240
10x1x270

Kroc Rows
20x2x40
failurex2x50

ISO Lateral DY Row
10x1x45
10x2x70

Rear Delt Row
10x3x120

Elliptical 10 minutes

Weight = 349# F*#@ I’ll be honest I was surprised by my weight. I though for sure my weight was lower. I was really disappointed. I know that I’m making progress because my overall body is getting smaller. and my clothes are almost to big. I feel absolutely terrific, but that said its time to re-calibrate my diet and start tracking and counting food/calories.

For the last three months I’ve restricted my carb intake to veggies and limited fruit, mainly bananas in my protein shakes, and a banana when pushed for time in the morning. My diet has consisted primarily of protein e.g. eggs, bacon/sausage in the mornings, and steaks, chicken, and hamburgers for lunches and dinners. A typical breakfast is 4-5 eggs (yolk and whites) with 2 bacon/sausage. Steaks are typically 16 oz, chicken a breast and a leg, hamburgers 4 with lettuce as my bun. I try to get my fats from 1/4 to 1/2 avocado with my meals. I’m drinking a 60g protein shake post workouts only. The only cheats I allow are cheese which is typically two slices of Swiss about 1-2 oz per slice. Snacks are nuts primarily roasted/salted peanuts or whole raw almonds. Once a week I’m usually in a position where I’m out with the family and allow myself a meal with full carbs e.g. hamburger and curly fries or something similar.

I have an old FitDay paid account (and I found the password:)) so I’ll start logging my diet daily to see what the calorie count is and start adjusting my food intake to get to a calorie deficit. I’m also going to increase my cardio substantially every week.

I guess now that I know my weight needs to play a bigger priority in my overall fitness training I’ll need to figure out what type of diet program I should set up. A Paleo type diet sounds good to me because I enjoy eating meat (my dad was a dairy farmer and meat cutter) but I’m not sure its the best type of diet for my needs right now. I really haven’t read a lot of literature about the Paleo diet, and with the cardio increases I’ll incorporate weekly I’m concerned about energy levels, but I’m a reader so more study on this diet is a definite possibility. I do have experience with the zone diet which I liked, but it has a higher percentage of carbs which my body seems to have a resistance to. I like oatmeal and whole grain products, but can do without most starches. If you have an opinion on either of these two diets or can direct me to others that might help me where I am right now then I’m all ears.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I know I had gained weight since the last time I weighed myself. I was bigger than I’d ever been in my entire life when I started working out in the spring, I must have been even heavier than I originally thought. Also, I’m not sure how much weight one can gain from adding muscle, and I’m definitely sure I’ve added muscle, in a three month span of time with 4 workouts per week.

In any event I’m not deterred just need to do what needs to be done to get my weight down to a healthy level so I can live a long and healthy 2nd half a century, turning 50 in September. Onward and upward!

If you are not losing like you want then you need to really count your macros and work from there.

I take it that you have no diabetes, thyroid or other unknown issues?

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
If you are not losing like you want then you need to really count your macros and work from there.

I take it that you have no diabetes, thyroid or other unknown issues?[/quote]

None. Except for my weight I am now and always have been pretty healthy. I’ve been 275+ for at least 10 years, but even though a big boy I’ve remained active. My weight has yoyo’ed between 275-330 most of this time. I credit any weight management to my kids who were athletes as children, high school, and in college. I coached their teams as kids, and they always wanted me to work with them at their sport individually, and I also trained alongside them in their off seasons. I gained more weight over the last three years through pressure eating (I’m in the real estate development business and things ain’t been good until recently) from worrying about and trying to keep the business afloat, and the banks from taking back some of my projects. I was successful, but my health/weight paid the price.

I’m almost scared to say it but if you feel good, and you clothes are getting looser, ignore the scale. Just make sure you pay attention to your diet and keep moving forward on your lifts. You will improve your body composition and that is what you are after. If you haven’t weighed yourself since May, just take this as a baseline and move on from here. Weight is just a number, your health, and how you look, and feel are more important.

[quote]corrmhona wrote:
I’m almost scared to say it but if you feel good, and you clothes are getting looser, ignore the scale. Just make sure you pay attention to your diet and keep moving forward on your lifts. You will improve your body composition and that is what you are after. If you haven’t weighed yourself since May, just take this as a baseline and move on from here. Weight is just a number, your health, and how you look, and feel are more important. [/quote]

I haven’t weighed myself since sometime in late 2012. I’m really not concerned by the number except for its health implications. As a guy who’s turning 50 in a little over a month I’m concerned more about longevity, and its common knowledge that the bigger the body the harder the heart has to work which can lead to many health problems. So in this respect I’m concerned about weight, but not for the purpose of vanity.

Don’t get me wrong I’d like to trim down 100 lbs or more over time, but my goal is to do it in a healthy active fashion, and through a good clean diet. I enjoy lifting and to a certain extent various forms of cardio e.g. biking, running and the elliptical. I also really like circuit training with weights which I’ve done in the past when I had a full gym in my house. I no longer have this as it was at my old bigger home which we sold earlier this year and then moved into a one of our former rental homes which is much smaller. Setting up a circuit at the gym is difficult because of the required equipment, the space, and all the other people using the same.

You’ve hit the nail on its head. The weigh in today is exactly as you said a new baseline.

I’ve taken some time to read through this log. Seems like you have it all handled with the exception of the # on the scale. Like a previous poster stated, the number isn’t as important as the way you feel inside. Only you can determine the changes in your daily health. The number is just a number. Muslce weighs more than fat. As you decrease the fat cells and increase the muscle mass you can actually get heavier. Don;t fret, it’s just the initial phase. To be honest, 5/3/1 is not what you need. Based on your goals, you should be looking at more volume work to help torch BF and get leaner and tighter.

I too am holding steady at 352 but I don’t look like what most expect. Just to give you an idea, my chest width is 56". I started powerlifting late and switched to a powerbuiding lifestyle. This has changed my structure immensley. I stick to low rep counts for Squat/Bench/Dead on ME days and hit them a bit higher on DE days. My avitar is a peak at what I look like holding my son when he was a newborn.

Keep up the cardio, work hard, and make small changes until you find what works. I just hut the 40 club so I’m not far behind you. I stand at 6’5". Like you I’m wokring to continue to tighten and shred. I’m not concerned with losing weight since it plays a huge roll in remaining strong. I just have been recomping.

Never quit and remember why you started!

Thanks, Derek, Corrmohna.

Viper, thanks fro reading through. Its funny you mention 5/3/1. I had a similar conversation with my son this weekend. He seems to think the best thing is to lift high volume until I start lifting heavier then tapper off to program incremental gains. As a former Div I football player he’s got enough time in the weight room that I can rely on him for some sound advice.

My original thought process was the 5/3/1 program would help me gain strength while also reserving energy for more cardio in any given week as I worked through weight loss. As I’ve mentioned my goal is to reduce fat, primary too, but in addition to building strength (and hopefully adding some muscle).

My plan is to lift as my son suggests, high volume with increasing weight, and then dial in hard on my diet while increasing cardio to include at least 30 minutes of cardio on gym days and 45 minutes on non-gym days.

I will post my weight and calorie consumption daily along with my exercises.

Saturday

Weight=339.8 (Scale at home)
Cals 1,615
Fat (g) 67.4
Carbs (g) 89.1
Prot (g) 158.6

Couldn’t make it to the gym the wife had a mile long honey do list for a party so DB work in the backyard.
Side Flyes
10x3x20

Standing Military Press
10x3x25

Scull Crushers
10x3x25

DB Curls
10x3x25

EZ Bar Curls
10x3x55

EZ Bar Reverse Tri
10x3x55

elliptical 20 minutes

Big party and BBQ at our home Saturday afternoon/evening. The above food score doesn’t include beer galore Sat night. Even though I BBQ’d 30 lbs of ribs and steaks (Rib Eye) with all the fixings, I ate healthy, but the beer blew any chance of it being a good kcal day.

Sunday
Hungover
Weight=?
Cals 3,071
Fat (g) 174.4
Carbs (g) 237.1
Prot (g) 134.6

Yup, that there is one shitty ass day of eating. I hardly had the energy or the desire to move so no cardio. Great start to the new plan.

Monday
Still feeling the toxic and lethargic affects from Saturdays party.
Weight=346.6
Cals 1,650
Fat (g) 67.4
Carbs (g) 89.1
Prot (g) 158.6

30 minutes elliptical

[quote]urbanman wrote:
…He seems to think the best thing is to lift high volume until I start lifting heavier then tapper off to program incremental gains. As a former Div I football player he’s got enough time in the weight room that I can rely on him for some sound advice.

, high volume with increasing weight, and then dial in hard on my diet while increasing cardio to include at least 30 minutes of cardio on gym days and 45 minutes on non-gym days.

I will post my weight and calorie consumption daily along with my exercises.

[/quote]

Spot on ^^

Tuesday

Bench
10x1x135, 8x1x145, 6x1x145, 4x2x155, 2x2x155

ISO lateral incline press
10x2x45, 6x1x70, 4x1x70,

Lat raise
10x2x60

Elliptical
30 minutes

Had to cut the gym workout short this morning for business purposes. The nights not over yet so hoping to take the dogs for a long walk after my daughters train comes in late this afternoon, but you know trains aren’t always punctual OR the people catching them, might turn into a long night at the train depot.

Weight=344.6

Cals 2,214
Fat (,g) 105.7
Carbs (g) 53.4 (28g’s from two whey protein shakes)
Prot (g) 256.2

DB

Lateral raise
10x3x15

Front raise
10x3x25

Standing Military Press
10x3x25

Scull crushers
10x3x25

Curls
10x3x25

EZ bar curls
10x3x55

EZ bar Tri Reverse
10x3x55

20 minutes stationary bike

Weight=341.4

Cals 1,414
Fat (g) 32.6
Carbs (g) 48.0
Prot (g) 228.2

Really low calories today. Not on purpose its just the way the day went today. Its then end of the day and I can really feel the lack of energy. My daily eating isn’t usually this low in calories.

Travel day today

Elliptical
30 minutes

Weight=337.6

Cals 1,951
Fat (g) 57.1
Carbs (g) 53.6
Prot (g) 294.6

Travel day, again.

Elliptical
30 minutes

Stationary bike
15 minutes

Weight=337.4

Cals 2,823
Fat (g) 125.7 (Fu@%$#& fastfood)
Carbs (g) 42.8
Prot (g) 248.9

Finally, get to go to the gym tomorrow.

Squats
5x2x95, 5x2x115, 5x4x135

Calf raise
10x1x270, 10x1x280, 10x1x300

Krock Rows
20x2x50

ISO lateral DY Row
10x1x45, 10x2x70

Elliptical
30 minutes

Weight=338

Cals 3,238
Fat (g) 189.4 (didn’t know 5 sausage links had so much fricken fat)
Carbs (g) 93.6
Prot (g) 275.0

First day in a long time I had any type of real weight on the bar for back squats. It felt real good. My depth isn’t where I’d like it to be but I think that has a lot to do with my lack of quad strength. My plan is to keep to these lower weights with a high volume of reps to build some strength in my quads and hams and as the strength increases try to get a lower depth to my squat before I add more weight. I did have a great time squating today.

Made a new friend in the gym, and he might ultimately turn out to be someone to pair with for workouts. We at similar places in our workouts, and in age so it could work out well. Ironically, were both hard charging entrepreneurs with a goal driven mentality.

Hey Urban, reading through your thread and your attitude and outlook on life/training is very refreshing. Congratulations on your lifestyle changes and keep up the good work! You only recently began posting your macros for the day, but based on several of the days, I’d caution against dropping your numbers too low too fast. North of 300 lbs, I would hope you’d be able to lose weight while eating more than you currently appear to be. Of course, you have to remember that if you have only let’s say 180 lbs of lean body weight, the extra 120 lbs aren’t causing any extra energy expenditure. That said, I still feel it’s important to eat as much as you can while still losing weight to keep your metabolism/hormones running at healthy levels. If you make a big caloric drop, sure you’ll drop weight quickly. However, when your weight loss inevitably stalls, you’ll likely have to drop lower or add more cardio. For that reason, incremental drops when weight loss stalls are your best bet. I’d strongly urge you to get over your aversion to the scale; I understand your thinking, but the only way to truly know if you’re progressing in weight loss is to weigh yourself and adjust your macros accordingly.

Glad to have you here sir, I’ll be following along and chiming in if I think I can offer anything worthwhile!

Edit: sorry, I just noticed that I somehow missed that you have been weighing yourself now. Good decision!

pwolves,

Thanks for checking in and the encouragement.

On my caloric intake, I’d have to agree there are days when I’m not getting enough protein, and I’ve been working on adjusting it. Meal planning in/out of the home and office is something I’m working on with my wife so that our household meal planning is a consideration and part of my protein needs which I estimate at 300g +/-

As for calories, I don’t really want to add “calories” for the sake of adding calories if they consist of a higher % of carbs and/or sat fat. That said, my target is to keep my fat intake below 60g and carbs under 50g. Not been hitting this consistently on a daily basis since beginning to track macro nutrients a week or so ago.

I’ve been messing with some sample daily meal plans and had a couple of good days last week before travel later in the week. Two 8 oz fish meals, and a large beef meal sandwiched between two smaller balanced prot/fat/carb meals (or a protein shake). We’ve also had both sides of our family in town two consecutive weeks staying with us so that’s made it really challenging for clean eating (and no alcohol).

Weight=338

No training today.

Cals 2,768
Fat (g) 152.3
Carbs (g) 206.2
Prot (g) 146.6

Damn it another day of not being able to get to the gym. I want my home gym back.

Weight=341

Cals 2,107
Fat (g) 84.1
Carbs (g) 89.8
Prot (g) 253.7

Training partners are golden. Snap him up! Don’t think it is ever too early to buy a ring. Oh wait, that is something else…

Keep posting and get back in there. Don’t lose momentum. I’m off next week so you have to work out for both of us!