Yet Another Velocity Diet Log

OK, After seeing others results and some PM’d advice from The Man, I’m jumping on the bandwagon and am chronicling it semi-publically here.

Initial Stats and Background:

“Your Ass looks like about a thousand pounds of chewed bubblegum!” - Gunny Hartman

Height: 5’7"
Weight: 292lb this morning
Waist: HOLY SH**!!! (52")
Athletic Status: Gimped former powerlifter.

Sob story: Its been a rough year. I spent most of it recovering from C5-6 spinal replacement surgery, following the Vicodin and Corona Diet (patent pending). I’ve been clean of the painkillers for a couple months now, and I’m trying to put things back together healthwise. I work 50-70 hours per week, with the occasional back-to-back 100 hour weeks thrown in at a desk job. So essentially, my problems are mostly of my own making, with a tiny bit of force majeure thrown in.

Goals: Fit back into my old/normal clothing, and not be a walking heart attack in waiting. More importantly, if I can regain control of this one aspect of my day-to-day and break some of my unhealthier habits, it will be worth it.

Diet details, weeks 1 and 4:
2 HRX 2x per day,
3 TRIBEX (blue pill) 2x per day,
4 Flameout,
5 Metabolic Drive shakes with flax meal (home) or Benefiber (work) per day,
Extra fish oil or peanut butter to round out any needed calories,
Green tea and water for beverages

Diet details, weeks 2 and 3:
6 4-AD-EC am only,
4 HOT-ROX Max Strength 2x per day,
4 Flameout,
5 Metabolic Drive shakes with flax meal (home) or Benefiber (work) per day,
Extra fish oil or peanut butter to round out any needed calories,
Green tea and water for beverages

Diet details taper-off period:
Replace one shake with a meal of lean meat and green veges every three days until reaching 3-4 solid meals and 1-2 shakes per day.

Workout: I’m following the ABBH 1 template, with reduced volume if necessary, every other morning. Alternate mornings are walks with light intervals of running (8s jog, 12s walk). Evenings will be walking the dog 1-3km, wearing an X-vest currently loaded to 25lb.

No pics, as our off-brand digital camera committed Hare-Kiri recently.

Comments welcome, though I may get on here only once per day to record that day’s impressions.

Is there anyway you can take your before bodyfat? And then take it again afterwards?

Either way, I look forward to following this. Good luck.

I don’t have any calipers at this time, but I would fairly accurately guess: Way Too Dang High!

I’m going by scale and waist measurement for this V-Diet run. No blood work, pics, or bf%. Just keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks.

[quote]Brendan Ryan wrote:
Is there anyway you can take your before bodyfat? And then take it again afterwards?

Either way, I look forward to following this. Good luck.[/quote]

Looking forward to watching your progress. Keep it updated.

Morning, day 2, or “How did I get here?”

Could not sleep last night. I think I’m sensitive to the HRX, or it may just be all in my head right now. I have noticed that the HRX makes my heart race for about an hour, and I get that “skin-crawling” feeling. Neither is unpleasant, it just… is.

Anyhow, I woke up late and felt like stir-fried road-apples until I got the first shake down. Needless to say, sleeping through my alarm put me off my game plan. I will have to lift after work today. No big deal.

More later.

Quick notes:

Solid food weekly meal will be Wednesday evenings. My wife and I don’t like crowds much anymore, so we avoid weekends and go out on Wed night. She’s not a partier, so avoiding bars will not be a problem.

I’m also taking 2 fiber choice tabs 2x per day in between shakes. I think the extra soluble fiber does more good stuff than we usually give it credit for.

I like your sense of humor and wish you good luck.

The supps make the first day “odd.” So, hang in there…it gets better very quickly. The worst week is clearly week one…then it gets easy.

Thanks all, and thanks Dan John for stopping by (long time since the Old School Strength BBS heyday, eh?). If anyone has advice, dont’ be shy - lay it on me.

Another note I forgot to mention: I have divurticulosis, so the flax meal may or may not stay in the program. I’ve had one bout with the -itis infection and do not relish reliving that. Right now, that is the only thing that might derail me. I’ll chance it for now.

What is the consensus from former/current V-Dieters on feeling a little too run down?

Butch up?
Add a shake?
Add more fish oil?

Thanks,

Scott

[quote]sknd100 wrote:
What is the consensus from former/current V-Dieters on feeling a little too run down?
[/quote]

It’ll get easier. While I never thought the diet was “hard,” it got really easy for me around day 10 or 11. Basically, just deal with feeling run down. I assure you that whatever feelings you’re enduring now will be easy in compasion to when you have a heart attack from carrying around so much weight.

“Butch up” it is. Thanks, CL…

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:

It’ll get easier. While I never thought the diet was “hard,” it got really easy for me around day 10 or 11. Basically, just deal with feeling run down. I assure you that whatever feelings you’re enduring now will be easy in compasion to when you have a heart attack from carrying around so much weight.
[/quote]

The third day was hardest for me.

Don’t worry too much about the lack of sleep, unless it starts to get out of hand.

I had the same problem, and I’ve always been fairly insensitive to stimulants, so I’m betting that it was the change of diet, mostly the low carbs that disturbed my sleep.

I got better sleep after about a week and a half or so.

You might also want to look over the differences between the workout routine that Chis did with the V-Diet and the ABBH I. They are simmilar, but I think Chris’ routine had one less day per week.

Good luck with the diet!
I’m sure you’ll be glad you did it once you finish your 28 days.

It’s smart of you to already plan how you’re going to come off of it too.

It sounds like you’ll do great. Don’t hesitate to chime into your thread whenever you feel like you need some motivation to get through it. Keeping a running log and people responding to it helped me a LOT.

I had a lot of difficulty sleeping with the change of lifestyle, but ZMA at night made the sleep thing a breeze. Never have I had that great of sleep! Good luck.

[quote]sknd100 wrote:
Morning, day 2, or “How did I get here?”

Could not sleep last night. I think I’m sensitive to the HRX, or it may just be all in my head right now. I have noticed that the HRX makes my heart race for about an hour, and I get that “skin-crawling” feeling. Neither is unpleasant, it just… is.

Anyhow, I woke up late and felt like stir-fried road-apples until I got the first shake down. Needless to say, sleeping through my alarm put me off my game plan. I will have to lift after work today. No big deal.

More later.
[/quote]

Great log so far, keep it up man.

First weight workout went OK, but I bonked at the end of the workout:

Dan John kettlebell warmup:
16kg kettlebell - halos, windmills, goblet squats.

A1 - Bench Press, 10 sets of 3
A2 - Bent Row (same bar), 10 sets of 3
alternated A1,A2 with 1 minute rest in between.
Finished up with Curls for the Gurls, 3 sets of 6 with 16kg kettlebell.

Thanks for the kind words all. Keep them coming.

As far as ABBH versus a 3 day total body, I like the ABBH split and you do 3 workouts one week, 4 workouts the next, i.e., every other day you hit weights. Its balanced work as well which is something I probably need to do more of (see horizontal push/pull workout above).

Surge post-workout perked me up a bit but tasted like I imagine Jessica Biel’s rosebud would taste like: sweet, but with an unmistakable funk. I’ll have to try the new flavor soon.

One shake to go…

im startin next week minus the 4 AD EC thing. I dont even know what that is, unless it is 4androstendeniol, in which case i do know… ahha. good luck dude, and in a week i will be right there with you.

Yes it is. I had a few left just hanging around on the corner and getting old, so I decided that that would be my only major “tinkering” with the recommended supps. Its just for educational purposes, and hopefully a little muscle gain whilst losing fat.

You’ll love it, after you’re done hating it. Or so the folks around here post. Hehehe…

I couldn’t stay off the scale tonight, and show a 3lb drop since yesterday morning. Jury’s still out, and my official weigh-in will be next Sunday.

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:
im startin next week minus the 4 AD EC thing. I dont even know what that is, unless it is 4androstendeniol, in which case i do know… ahha. good luck dude, and in a week i will be right there with you.[/quote]

Day 3, or “Holy amphetamines, Batman!”

Had to work until 12:30am this morning with a short break to weight train (previously posted) and then couldn’t sleep longer than 1.5 hours. WTF?

The dog missed her walk last night and I bagged the walk this morning. Missed my first shake of the day, but no big deal. Back on track with the second one and strangely more awake than ever.

Weights again tomorrow. The nasty hungries are setting in at odd times, but nothing I can’t deal with.

The only major problem that I anticipated has come to pass. The flax meal has to go. I can tell by feel that it is irritating my divurticulosis. I’m switching to a psyllium based fiber supplement and more healthy supplemental fats from macademia oil and fish oil. I WILL NOT LET THIS DERAIL ME!!!

Of course, if the -osis turns to -itis (full-blown infection with high fever) anyway, I’ll have to drop any fiber whatsoever and get to the doctor for heavy doses of Cipro.

So, to summarize my un-carbed rambling, I’m still on track with a few minor adjustments.

Hey, Tim Patterson! So when is T-Nation coming out with full-body transplants so I can get a younger, lower-mileage model???

[quote]sknd100 wrote:
The only major problem that I anticipated has come to pass. The flax meal has to go. I can tell by feel that it is irritating my divurticulosis. I’m switching to a psyllium based fiber supplement and more healthy supplemental fats from macademia oil and fish oil. I WILL NOT LET THIS DERAIL ME!!!

Of course, if the -osis turns to -itis (full-blown infection with high fever) anyway, I’ll have to drop any fiber whatsoever and get to the doctor for heavy doses of Cipro.

So, to summarize my un-carbed rambling, I’m still on track with a few minor adjustments.

Hey, Tim Patterson! So when is T-Nation coming out with full-body transplants so I can get a younger, lower-mileage model???

[/quote]

Don’t worry about it. I couldn’t hack the flax meal either.

I subbed in natural pb, fiber supplements, and more fish oil caps (I was using 15 fish oil caps, and 4 Flameout, with 2 tbsp of pb).

Good luck!