T Nation

Yet Another Police F*ck Up. (W/Vid)

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/07/22/bc-woman-shoved-sandy-police-downtown-eastside.html

Three cops walking in the sidewalk and one of them shoves a disabled woman down and stares her down. W.T.F??!!

Oh, and they are “deeply sorry”.

Assholes.

“the tall guy pushed me down because they thought I was grabbing their gun because I touched the belt,” [the victim] said."

That certainly does not justify the action but to me it would be understandable.

“The Absurd”, in philosophy, refers to the clash between the human tendency to seek inherent meaning and the human inability to find any. In this context “absurd” does not mean “logically impossible,” but rather “humanly impossible.”[1] The universe and the human mind do not each separately cause the Absurd, but rather, the Absurd arises by the contradictory reality caused by the confrontation of both, simultaneously.

Absurdism, therefore, is a philosophy stating that the efforts of humanity to find inherent meaning in the universe will ultimately fail (and hence are absurd), because no such meaning exists, at least in relation to the individual. As a philosophy, absurdism also explores the fundamental nature of the Absurd and how human individuals, once becoming conscious of the Absurd, should react to it.

Ethical nihilism is the meta-ethical view that morality does not exist as something inherent to objective reality; therefore no action is necessarily preferable to any other. For example, a moral nihilist would say that killing someone, for whatever reason, is not inherently right or wrong. Other nihilists may argue not that there is no morality at all, but that if it does exist, it is a human and thus artificial construction, wherein any and all meaning is relative for different possible outcomes. As an example, if someone kills someone else, such a nihilist might argue that killing is not inherently a bad thing, bad independently from our moral beliefs, only that because of the way morality is constructed as some rudimentary dichotomy, what is said to be a bad thing is given a higher negative weighting than what is called good: as a result, killing the individual was bad because it did not let the individual live, which was arbitrarily given a positive weighting. In this way a moral nihilist believes that all moral claims are false.

^Fuck that. They were walking three abreast down a crowded sidewalk. Fucking d-bag. An apology isn’t enough. He needs to make up for it somehow.

So retarded. I’m getting sick of this shit. But coem on. I dont care if your in a blasted wheel chair. if you reach over and touch/grab an officer’s belt then he needs to act fast. Its not like he shot or tazed her. Its just too bad that when they realized what happened the coppers didnt help her up.

Dude, she was yelling for them to give her space, BECAUSE SHE WAS HOBBLING. You know, disabled and all.

I was also trying to see a way to justify this, but they looked like movie stars walking down the red carpet.

She was pretty fair in her assessment so I believe her when she says she said excuse me three times.

Well Ive gone round and round on this topic in my head. Its a difficult situation. Cops have to maintain a mental edge to stay sharp. I guess that can lead to bad decisions.

But bad decisions should be punished by more than an apology.

Honestly, I don’t blame the cops. That part of Hastings is as nasty as it gets.

=

[quote]andrew_live wrote:
So retarded. I’m getting sick of this shit. But coem on. I dont care if your in a blasted wheel chair. if you reach over and touch/grab an officer’s belt then he needs to act fast. Its not like he shot or tazed her. Its just too bad that when they realized what happened the coppers didnt help her up.[/quote]

and if you believe that story, i have a few you might have missed as a child. let’s start with X’s favorite, the tooth fairy.

If what the cop says is true, he thought she reached for his gun, then I get that, however he should have helped her up. They’re still fuck sticks for not moving when they saw her hobbling down the road.

Considering these are the same fucks that were part of the attacks on random civilians during the protests…people walking home…reporters…

What a bastard. God I hate bad cops.

It appears that the cop was just being a dick. That said, Hastings is a complete clusterfuck of mentally ill and junkies. She may or may not have been yelling for space, but whether the cops were able to hear or understand her is another question.

My guess is they figured she was just another one of the thousound or so addicts.

You can never step into the mind of an officer. Here in WA there were 4 who were shot in the head while having coffee. Guy just walked in and killed them all. They CANNOT have people grabbing them – I don’t care what their reason. The problem is getting every damn thing on video and then arm chair quarterbacking on whether it was right, wrong, whatever. You carry a guy, you deal with crazies, assholes, criminals and you deal with ANY situation in a split second and then we’ll see just how perfect you are.

[quote]attydeb2005 wrote:
You can never step into the mind of an officer. Here in WA there were 4 who were shot in the head while having coffee. Guy just walked in and killed them all. They CANNOT have people grabbing them – I don’t care what their reason. The problem is getting every damn thing on video and then arm chair quarterbacking on whether it was right, wrong, whatever. You carry a guy, you deal with crazies, assholes, criminals and you deal with ANY situation in a split second and then we’ll see just how perfect you are. [/quote]

I’m amazed that you think that it’s 100% acceptable that once it was all said and done, and the lady was laying on the ground, obviously helpless and harmless, that they didn’t even help her up or see if she was okay. The one helping her up would still have two partners to watch his back while he did it, so there was no excuse for the scenario to play out that way. If they’re too heartless and selfish to care about the general population because of the fact that they have a dangerous job, then they shouldn’t be police officers. These cops seem to have joined the force for the wrong reasons.

Well, at least no house pets or civilians were shot.

So the handicapped/retarded girl was able to grab his belt…? is he about the worlds worst cop then? But aside from the cock and bull story about her “grabbing at his gun,” the cop was already past the girl, turned around, at which time the girl’s hand closest to the cop was clearly on her backpack strap near her shoulder and then he shoved her down.

He should be and certainly has been punished for acting like a dumbass, so let’s all move on…

While this occurrence is deemed justifiable due to the disabled, hobbling, polite woman whom attempted to step out of the officers way placed her hand somewhere within the vicinity of the cops belt, I don’t understand how the THREE officers didn’t offer to help her up after one had thrown her to the ground.

The Vancouver P.D. I believe had a case last year in which they picked up a homeless man after a disturbance complaint, dumped him somewhere quiet and out of the way as he then proceeded to die from hypothermia during the night.

I understand the whole ‘you cant understand what they go through’ rap that inevitably is pulled out during every conversation similar to this but that doesn’t give any excuse to officers that act like this.