Yet Another Beginner Blog

Greek yogurt is what it says on the tub, so that’s what I’m going to have to call it!

Anywho. As I said a while back, here’s what I’ve been doing. This is an upper body day, but I’m trying to figure out a good lower body routine. Search button here I come!

All weights are in kgs.

Standing Military Press -
20x5, 20x5, 25x4, 25x3

Bench Press -
50x5, 50x5, 50x3, 55x3

Upright Row -
25x5, 25x5, 25x5, 30x4

Dumbbell Fly -
20x5, 20x5, 20x5, 25x5

So, for a lower body routine I was thinking…

Squats
Step Ups
Deadlift
Lying Leg Curl

I’m also going to incorporate some ab work into my upper body days.

What say you people?

I thought you were doing the “Real Fast Fat Loss” program? What happened to that?

It’s quite simple.

I’m a beginner, and I found some of those exercises in the program difficult to do with proper form. I always felt like I wasn’t doing them right.

Also, I’m a student, and have no money for gym costs. Some of the stuff in the program, like bike sprints and kettle bell swings, I just can’t do as I don’t have the equipment or money to buy the equipment. I am lucky enough though, to have got hold of some dumbbells, a weights bench, and a barbell.

So I’m just using what I’ve got, starting simple and, after giving this routine 6-8 weeks, then I’ll step my training to the RFFL program.

[quote]Rich_T wrote:
On a side note, it’s easy to see how people get out of shape and still feel that they ‘don’t eat that much’.

A Snicker bar. It’s small. Weighs approx. 64 grams. Has nuts in it. It also has 323 calories!

Now, I used to snack on these things, thinking ‘it’s only a little chocolate bar. What’s the big deal? It’s hardly going to ruin my diet’.

Other hand. 200g of chicken. Filling. REALLY filling. Good for you, loads of protein. 342 cals.

I just find that scary. How the fuck do they manage to cram zero nutrition and 323 cals into 64 gram chocolate bar? It’s mental![/quote]

hmm snickers ~ haven’t tasted one in a long time -_-

Well, the program you have settled on has some issues. If you want to try the “Real Fast fat Loss” You can substitute individual exercises, like dumbbell swings instead of kettlebell swings, Running sprints instead of bike sprints. The workout will get your heartbeat up and give you a cardio workout as well as a strength workout. It’s not optimal for either but it should work well for fat loss.

The problem with your current program is that it is not balanced. Drop the upright row and substitute chin ups. Drop the flys and add bent rows.

Do 3 sets of each instead of 4 but add a warm up set. Try to get all 5 reps 3 times before you put the weight up. Keep rest times short and consistent.

With the lower body, you don’t need step ups if you do squats and you don’t need leg curls if your do deadlifts. I would rather see you add 2 exercises from your lower body to your upper body workout so you end up doing both more frequently. Maybe alternate squats + leg curls and Step ups + deadlifts. Once you can no longer recover from the exercises one workout the the next, you can split upper/lower.

Stu

Just popping in to say good luck :slight_smile:

So, my plans for my next session are something like this.

Military Press
Squats
Bench Press
Leg Curls
Bent Row
Chins

A warm up set followed by 3 sets of 5.

So, you’d say this is a good starting point? It looks to me like a pretty good beginner’s full body routine.

If this is what you meant, I’ll stay with this until I can’t recover in 2 days. Is that what you were saying?

Thanks for everyone’s support and especially Stu. You’ve been a massive help!

Try this order:
Squats
Leg Curls
Bench
Bent Rows
Mil Press
Chin ups

The main thing is to separate the bent rows and chins so you get some recovery in between. Otherwise you won’t be able to put any intensity into your chins. You don’t have to do leg curls right after squats but your hamstrings will already be warmed up. Likewise when you get to step ups/deads, the warmup from one exercise helps the next.

Once you are comfortable with these exercises, superset the bench/bent rows and the mil press/chins. It will speed up the program and give you a cardio boost.

Stu

[quote]stuward wrote:
Try this order:
Squats
Leg Curls
Bench
Bent Rows
Mil Press
Chin ups

The main thing is to separate the bent rows and chins so you get some recovery in between. Otherwise you won’t be able to put any intensity into your chins. You don’t have to do leg curls right after squats but your hamstrings will already be warmed up. Likewise when you get to step ups/deads, the warmup from one exercise helps the next.

Once you are comfortable with these exercises, superset the bench/bent rows and the mil press/chins. It will speed up the program and give you a cardio boost.

Stu[/quote]

Damn, thats some good advice. Now, train with intensity and you’ll be a monster in no time (well…it might take a little longer).

Sweet.

I’ll post how I get on with this sometime soon. My next weights session will be Friday.

Thanks once again!

[quote]CthruPants wrote:

Damn, thats some good advice. Now, train with intensity and you’ll be a monster in no time (well…it might take a little longer).
[/quote]

LOL. I’m pretty sure me being classified as ‘monster’ is a while away.

Right.

I’ve so far done 2 of the suggested workouts. Feels good to me. Only issue I’ve got is that I’m constantly changing around weights. Means it takes a bit longer than it really should, but that’s the way it goes I guess.

Friday;

Squats - 30x5, (50x5)x3

Leg Curls - 20x5, (30x5)x3

Bench Press - 20x5, (50x5)x3

Bent Rows - 20x5, (30x5)x3

Military Press - 20x5, (25x5)x3

Saturday;

Football(Soccer)

Sunday;
Five-A-Side Football(Soccer)

Monday;

Squats - 35x5, (55x5)x3

Leg Curls - 25x5, (32.5x5)x3

Bench Press - 25x5, (50x5)x3

Bent Rows - 20x5, (30x5)x3

Military Press - 20x5, (25x5)x3

So I’ve made some minor changes to weights I’m lifting. This is because on the Friday, I didn’t feel that I was being pushed hard enough so, I think I’m finding my optimal weight for each exercise.

Now it’s just time to get on with it. Stick to it. Be consistent. Eat clean.

All basic stuff. Aint nothing to it but to do it!

That’s all for now.

Hello again everyone.

Been doing my best recently, had to go home for Easter. This meant I had no access to any weights! I never realized how much I’d miss my 3 times a week sessions!

Anyway. It’s all back to normal now. I’ll post up my workout for today later.

Seeing as I’ve been at this for over a month, I’m thinking about 2 things;

1. Progress pictures. Should I get some pics of myself? Will it help or will it hinder? Anyone got advice on taking them?

2. Supplements. Do I need them? I mean, I feel like I’m making progress, so surely that’s enough. Or would I make bigger improvements with some HOT-ROX and Grow!. What say you?

Anyway. Just a quick post to let you know I’m alive, still lifting and haven’t gone to my former eating habits. Hope those two questions get you thinking, I know they’ve got my brain ticking over. Perhaps they’re two questions only I can answer…

Anyway. Bye for now!

Workout went pretty well today.

I decided to try out step ups and deadlifts.

Deadlifts were OK, think I need to make sure my form’s good on it though, otherwise I’ll be saying goodbye to my back!

The step ups were another matter though. I think it has something to do with the fact my ‘step’ was a chair that’s old and crappy. It was wobbling like a bitch so I went back to doing squats.

I also changed Bent rows to one arm Dumbbell Rows and Military Press into Dumbbell Shoulder Press. I’m new to this weight lifting lark, but I’m pretty sure those swaps are like for like. The reason behind the change is that it saves time on changing weights on my barbell, thus keeps my heart rate up and my time working out down.

Step ups - 30x5,50x3 Changed to Squats - (60x5)x2

Dead Lift - 30x5, (50x5)x3

Bench Press - 30x5, (55x5)x3

Dumbbell Rows - 10x5, (15x5)x3 <–both arms

Shoulder Press - 20x5,30x4,(25x5)x2

So, bit of a learning curve. Going to have a look at some Dead lift examples on Youtube and EXRX. Really worried about getting that one wrong! I’ve also noticed that although it should be just as hard as the military press, the shoulder press with the dumbbells seems harder!

Anyway. Some sprinting tomorrow and Sunday off. Laters!

Just finished reading Shugart article, ‘28 Days, 14 Missions, 1 Ripped Physique’.

Some damn good stuff in there!

So I’ve decided that a month from now, I’ll be posting some before and after pics. I don’t know how many people will see them, and I don’t care. It’s just the sort of motivation that’ll help me stay on track and make sure I lift as much as I can as often as I should.

My workouts have been going according to plan. I’m not at home right now, so I can’t post specifics. I’ve improved on pratically everything. So although I may not be able to look in the mirror and say,‘yeah, those are some sweet results, keep it up!’ and can at least look at these posts and see progress there.

Slowly slowly, catchy monkey.

God, that’s a stupid phrase…

P.S. Come on you Gunners! Boo Liverpool, yay Arsenal!

Today’s workout went thusly…

Squats - 40x5, (65x5)x3

Leg Curls - 25x5, (40x5)x3

Bench Press - 35x5, 58.5x4, (57.5x5)x2

Dumbbell Rows - 15x5, (20x5)x3 <–both arms

Shoulder Press - 20x5,(25x5)x3

So there you go.

My bench press really surprised me. I went 1kg heavier, just one, and I couldn’t do a full 5 reps. It’s weird the way that works, how a kilogram seems like nothing on its own. But you add that kilogram to 57 and half others, and it’s a deal breaker, the straw that broke the camel’s back, if you will. The difference between a completed set and flattening yourself in your shed. Food for thought right there.

Anyway. I’ve invested in some protein powder and got some HOT-ROX on order. I’m realistic about their impact on what I’m doing. In fact, I feel it may have been a premature move on my part. I’m going to keep working hard, lifting, eating right and I mustn’t allow these supplements to act as a cushion.

Anyway. I smell and need a shower…

Hey hey!

Today’s workout…

Squats - 40x5, (67.5x5)x3

Leg Curls - 25x5, (40x5)x3

Bench Press - 40x5, (57.5x5)x2, 58.5x5

Dumbbell Rows - 15x5, (22x5)x3 <–both arms

Some improvement. Really am trying to get through to 60 on my bench and as for my squat, I get 70 in my sights. I’m gonna do it!

Rows are coming along nicely. Slowly building them up, same goes for my shoulder press.

Got my HOT-ROX today so I’m going to start taking them. See if they help. My diet’s consisted of;

Chicken
Vegetables (Mainly broccoli and cauliflowers)
A Pork Chop every now and then
Cottage cheese
Protein shakes (made with skimmed milk)
Porridge (Again, made with skimmed milk)
Almonds
Eggs, scrambled

And lots and lots of water. Anyone got any other foods that I should take a look at?

Also, should I get hold of some fish oil capsules? Read a bit about them but don’t know if they’re really necessary at such an early stage of my development.

Only about 3 weeks until picture time as well. Excited?

Probably not…

Bye for now!

How do everyone?

Today I did done this…

Squats - 40x5, (67.5x5)x3

Deadlifts - 30x5, (55x5)x3

Bench Press - 40x5, (58.5x5)x3

Dumbbell Rows - 15x5, (22x5)x3 <–both arms

I’m thinking of videoing myself doing the deadlifts, so I can make sure my form’s good. If I can’t see a problem straight of, I’ll post them on here for the pros to have a look at.

My protein and my HOT-ROX haven’t caused me any discomfort. No funny stomach or any other symptoms of an exploding gut. All signs point to good.

I had a bit of a thought. Should I do one set of my exercises and move on to the next one, three times, or should I do 3 sets of an exercise before moving on?

Felt pretty good today. The whole thing just felt right. I’m hoping to break through the 60kg barrier by the end of the month on my bench presses.

Been thinking of some ways to step up the training. Some ab work, shrugs or anything I else I can find. Any ideas on what would be best for a newcomer like myself. Or should I just stick to this for the full month before finding bigger and better things?

Also, my football’s improving thanks to all this working out malark. I’m looking at some HIIT programs to help me with my speed. I think I’m going to go with the one included in this post. I’ve been doing some HIIT work on my non lifting days, but I’ve lacked a structure and a goal when doing it. Never good. First day of it tomorrow. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Other than that, it’s all good. Bunch of work to do, but can’t complain, it’s for my own education, and who hasn’t got a load of shit on their plate?

'Nuff said. I’m off.

P.S. Great game last night, ruined by a lame decision. Unlucky you Gunners…

Hello!

OK then. First off, I started the HIIT routine posted above. And it killed me! Funny enough though, I then went to play a 6-a-side game of football that night and was able to keep up despite my legs feeling like lead.

Yesterday was a weight day. ‘What on Earth did you lift, good Sir?’ I hear you cry. Well here it is;

Squats - 45x5, (70x5)x3

Deadlifts - 40x5, (55x5)x3

Dumbbell Rows - 20x5, (25x5)x3 <–both arms

Shoulder Press - 20x5,(27x5)x3

Once again, I did some shrugs and ab work.5 sit ups with a 2.5kg plate behind my head.
Then 3 sets of 5 with a 5kg plate. Felt pretty good. Then some chins. I did 3 sets, each time I’d work until failure. Most I managed in a set was 8. It’s not a lot, I know, but it’s the truth. No point lying to whoever reads this, or myself for that matter.

Was going to do the HIIT again today but instead I’m off to play some football with friends. I’d say football’s HIIT, wouldn’t you?

Anyway. I’m feeling good, still got a few weeks until the pics. Will I see results? Who knows…

I know I’d like to be able to look at my before and an after pictures and say ‘wow’, but even if that’s not the case I can look at the posts I’ve made.

My first posts being a call for help. Pretty clueless. Benching 50.

Now, I’d like to think I’ve got some idea of what I’m doing, I’ve got goals and I know I can lift heavier than ever before. That’s something to be proud of, at least…

Laters

Another day, another bunch of lifting…

Squats - 45x5, (70x5)x3

Leg Curls - 25x5, (45x5)x3

Dumbbell Rows - 20x5, (25x5)x3 <–both arms

Shoulder Press - 20x5,(27x5)x3

Ab work involved sit ups with a 5kg plate. You know how it is.

Football was great the other day. Felt achy the following day, but that’s the way it goes. Tomorrow is HIIT.

Pretty much all I’ve got to say.

Over and out…