T Nation

YES!! Coffee and Tea!!

Always happy to find news that back up my coffe and tea intake I have another one for you all.

This one may even ease the minds of those whom are always worried about the strain we MAY be putting on our liver and kidneys thorugh the High amounts or protein we eat and the supplements,.

Cheers and grab that morning Joe.

But I'm not overweight, don't drink too much alcohol, and don't have too much iron in my blood. I guess I'll have to work towards one of those conditions so I can drink coffee.

you don't have to be overweight

its also an antioxidant, improves short term memory and reaction time among many more benefits than sited in cnn's website just do your research and you will see

Yup There are a TON of other benefits I have posted several articles here. Just thought this new one was of interest. Another LPus for the habit.

Thanks man!

Sometimes I consider coffee my last bad habit. I havent had a drink for over a year or a smoke in six months, but I just cannot seem to shake the joe!

Maybe I don't need too!

Bow Out.

Thanks Phill,
Good read. I drink a lot of it in the mornings and now I feel a little beter about it.

Thanks again.

Not to fast here guys, I have yet to read the CNN report but according to our own Dr. LL and one Dr. Perricone, coffee intake should limited because it can decrease insulin sensitivity. This has been well documented, regardless if a study finds positives to drinking coffee. Not to mention there are far more antioxidants in an a couple dashes of oregano or half an apple than in coffee; coffee is relatively low in anti-ox's.

According to Dr. Perricone (an MD but nutritionally well read) it's the organic acids in coffee, no matter if regular or decaf, that cause inflammation in the body and increases it's tendency to become acidic. Green tea, as well as black, white, and herbal teas are by far a better choice habitually.

I'm not saying to drop the java completely for fear of raising your bodyfat 10% and getting cancer, but I would not open the flood gates on it either. One cup a day should be about it, the one pre-workout is probably the best. For an anaerobic workout it can increase work capacity and intensity, where by burning more cals. For aerobic work it can help liberate adipocytes to be oxidized and increase time to exhaustion.

I advocate coffee and tea myself, dont go overboard though, stains your teeth. I limit my intake to 1 cup of either a day. That should do it for the antioxidants.

Although I totally agree that coffee intake is best in moderation, I have to point out two things (both of these recent 'findings' were huge media stories this year):

First, coffee is actually remarkably high in antioxidants. Recent studies show its antioxidants are even more bio-available than those in cocoa and green tea.

Also, high coffee intake has been linked with lower risk of developing type II diabetes (a blood sugar/insulin sensitivity disorder). But it's worth noting that this benefit is only measurable if someone drinks upwards of 8 cups a day! Any less offers no benefit in this regard.

That said, coffee is also brutal on the adrenal glands, and highly acid-forming. It's hard on the digestive system too. Finally, dark roasts in particular are fairly high in acrylamide, a known carcinogen (that's got to have a counterbalancing effect on those wonderful antioxidants).

When drunk black, in moderation, it's fine, but if you drink a lot of it, it's fairly minimal protective benefits will be outweighed by the damage it causes.

Hey guys bumped an old post and article/study on coffee and the antiox effect from back in 04.

Heres the link.

I guess the report I saw was totally wrong, because it stated in plain English that there more anti-oxidants in other foods, coffee not being high on the list. Either way, as it was just pointed out, the negatives outway the positives (i.e. coffee kills off millions, maybe billions of healthy gut flora which can contribute to dysbiosis and many other health problems).

I'd like to do a survey at the office. I would bet that the average "water drinker" has a 2-4 inch smaller waist than the average "coffee drinker". Waist size is heavily correlated with type II diabetes.

How can several studies show evidence that coffee indeed reduces insulin sensitivity, yet can prevent type II?!?! I know the body is EXTREMELY complex, but this makes no sense. That insulin sensitity study when it comes to preventing diabetes has to be flawed.

I think some of these studies are looking for certain data and finding it, if you know what I mean.

becuase they are comparing two different things. Insulin resistance and decreased insulin sensitivity from coffee are two different things.

ok so does it increases or decreases your sensitivity to insulin does anybody know? thank you very much in advance

I don't know if anyone knows, or if the correlation is even directly related to insulin. All the studies showed was a correlation between huge coffee consumption and decreased incidence of type II diabetes. but that could be coincidence, it could be based on some tendency that coffee drinkers share (like, if you drink that much coffee, maybe you eat less, aren't as fat, and therefore have a lower risk of type II diabetes). who knows!

I would think that the reason someone who is drinking 8 cups of coffee a day is not eating too much.

I have 3-4 cups in the morning and I am not hungry for breakfast. I have to force myself to eat it and end up eating something small. It surpresses the appetite. Perhaps this is the reason that 8 cups has an affect on type II diabetes.

I would think that these people sit have a coffee and a small snack with it. 8 times a day. Thus regulating their insulin with frequent eating.

Just a thought.