T Nation

#$@% Yeah!

Satisying night at the gym.

I normally train at home. Have been for the past five years. My olympic lifting coach just moved to a new gym and invited me to stop in and train, check out some of his new lifters. He has young, cocky kid, 105kg. lifter. Kind of guy I really don’t like. About 20 years old. Loud. Calls attention to himself. Lots of yelling and profanity…before, during, after his lift attempts.

Anyway, he made a 160kg. front squat and threw a fit. My coach congratulated him on the PR, as did I. He was pretty disresectful and dismissive of me. Didn’t really bug me but it bugged my coach. He tells the kid that, a few years back, I front squatted 190kg. as a 105. He told him that should be his goal. The kid told my coach that he didn’t think I could front squat as much as him right now. I had been doing some cleans and jerks w/ 130 kg., not real heavy. I took his 160 off the racks and front squatted it without a warm-up. I got a drink of water from the fountain. Loaded 170 and made that without much trouble. Then I took 180. It was tough but I made with solid form and a few kg. to spare. My coach then told him, he’s 20 kgs better than you, TODAY. That’s a kg. for every year older than you he is.

I love stories like this.

Sometimes braggarts just need to be put in their place.

At-a-boy Prowlcat.

Now that’s called “Humble Pie”. Which is always better when you’re the server. #$@% Yeah! very sweet Prowlcat

Damn good front squats. One for us.

[quote]hel320 wrote:
Damn good front squats. One for us.[/quote]

Well. Good and bad. Good because I made it, and it obviously wounded that little shithead. Bad because it’s got me wanting to compete again. And that’s not going to be good for my body. Or my family. Or my temperment. Or my lifespan. But…It’s probably got to happen now.

Whenever I go to the gym and pop a couple of decent lifts I think of something George C. Scott yells as shells explode all around him in ‘Patton’: “I love it! God help me, I do love it so.”

Prowl… thank you for sharing…

young kids today have no respect…man I sound older than I really am…

nice storey

[quote]GMH454 wrote:
Prowl… thank you for sharing…

young kids today have no respect…man I sound older than I really am…

nice storey[/quote]

Yeah. I sound old, too. I’m only 39. I was that kid, seems like only a few years ago. Without the yelling and grunting and praising himself and being a total asshole part. My coach has tried to tell this guy that he needs to watch it because humiliation is a daily thing in weightlifting and that there is ALWYAS someone stronger and better than you. But that’s true of sports in general. I learned it when I was a kid. This guy never did.

Good job on the squats but even more importantly - good job on putting the kid in his place. The gym code of ethics has changed dramatically over the past 30 years. It used to be that any chance to hang out with someone that has been in the game for awhile was something of value. You knew there was a lot of experience to be had and you were glad to get it. Now every kid in the gym thinks because he has read a few muscle mags, he knows everything. The truth of the matter is most kids have sucky technique, poor programing and a real lack of focus. They could fix most of this if they would just have a little respect, ask questions and watch and learn from some of us older guys.

Good stuff prowler! I’ll bet that felt gooood.

Classic. Thanks for winning 1 for all old guys.

TNT

[quote]ProwlCat wrote:
Satisying night at the gym.

I normally train at home. Have been for the past five years. My olympic lifting coach just moved to a new gym and invited me to stop in and train, check out some of his new lifters. He has young, cocky kid, 105kg. lifter. Kind of guy I really don’t like. About 20 years old. Loud. Calls attention to himself. Lots of yelling and profanity…before, during, after his lift attempts.

Anyway, he made a 160kg. front squat and threw a fit. My coach congratulated him on the PR, as did I. He was pretty disresectful and dismissive of me. Didn’t really bug me but it bugged my coach. He tells the kid that, a few years back, I front squatted 190kg. as a 105. He told him that should be his goal.

The kid told my coach that he didn’t think I could front squat as much as him right now. I had been doing some cleans and jerks w/ 130 kg., not real heavy. I took his 160 off the racks and front squatted it without a warm-up. I got a drink of water from the fountain.

Loaded 170 and made that without much trouble. Then I took 180. It was tough but I made with solid form and a few kg. to spare. My coach then told him, he’s 20 kgs better than you, TODAY. That’s a kg. for every year older than you he is. [/quote]

That was classic.

Good job ProwlCat. That one off the reasons I never brag on my lifts. You run your mouth too much and someone always comes along and shows you up.

[quote]Ironmantrw wrote:
Good job ProwlCat. That one off the reasons I never brag on my lifts. You run your mouth too much and someone always comes along and shows you up. [/quote]

That’s a lesson you learn early on, right. I’ve never been the strongest or best lifter in any gym I’ve been in. That’s humbling AND motivating. Pushes you. This kid has been the - pardon the expression - Big Swinging Dick at this gym for some time now. My coach has been unable to talk him down. And he confessed to me yesterday that he had sort of planned this little meeting and it worked out exactly as he’d hoped.

To give the kid SOME benefit of the doubt, it sounds as if my coach has been talking me up for the past six months or so. This kid was probably sick of hearing about it. We’ll see where it goes from here. I’m planning to stop in the gym once a week going forward, either to train or just help some of the high-school football players whose coaches and “strength trainers” have neglected their training.

I love working with top-notich highschool athletes. They listen, work hard as hell, and show respect for people.