T Nation

Yeah, So I'm Gonna Try IF

I’ve known of Intermittent Fasting for a while now, but I’ve never really applied it to my lifestyle. I’ve tried it a couple days a long time ago and it didn’t seem too bad. I’ve recently rediscovered it, and I’m planning on actually applying this for a couple of months and checking progress, unless detrimental effects are immediately noticed like muscle loss, decreased performance in workouts, etc.

My goals are, like most people in this forum, to get bigger and stronger and I want to see if the IF lifestyle can be applied to someone with this goal in mind. If there’s anyone on this forum who currently is practicing IF and has any inside tips, they would be appreciated. I’m going to keep track of it in my log. So…yeah. Thanks in advance.

Joel Marion says that one should have either a few weeks a year with smaller eating or a few days a week.

If weeks, little training should be done.

If days a week no training should be done.

He recommends massive calories around training with super high carbs around training.

Very low carbs the rest of the day/week.

Just some thoughts.

[quote]Free2Be wrote:
Joel Marion says that one should have either a few weeks a year with smaller eating or a few days a week.

If weeks, little training should be done.

If days a week no training should be done.

He recommends massive calories around training with super high carbs around training.

Very low carbs the rest of the day/week.

Just some thoughts.[/quote]

Mkay, well the first two don’t really apply, You can reach your calorie needs during the 8 hour window, you don’t necessarily have to take in less calories. They would If I were going to fast-every-other-day method, but I’m going the daily fast, 16 hour fast, 8 hour window to eat.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
Free2Be wrote:
Joel Marion says that one should have either a few weeks a year with smaller eating or a few days a week.

If weeks, little training should be done.

If days a week no training should be done.

He recommends massive calories around training with super high carbs around training.

Very low carbs the rest of the day/week.

Just some thoughts.

Mkay, well the first two don’t really apply, You can reach your calorie needs during the 8 hour window, you don’t necessarily have to take in less calories. They would If I were going to fast-every-other-day method, but I’m going the daily fast, 16 hour fast, 8 hour window to eat.[/quote]

No offense but you aren’t a big guy. You say you want to get big but are throwing in some weird ass variable into the equation. Why not just do what has been proven over and over again and not worry about this crap?

All the big fellas I have spoken to on this site and outside of it have never done this.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
Free2Be wrote:
Joel Marion says that one should have either a few weeks a year with smaller eating or a few days a week.

If weeks, little training should be done.

If days a week no training should be done.

He recommends massive calories around training with super high carbs around training.

Very low carbs the rest of the day/week.

Just some thoughts.

Mkay, well the first two don’t really apply, You can reach your calorie needs during the 8 hour window, you don’t necessarily have to take in less calories. They would If I were going to fast-every-other-day method, but I’m going the daily fast, 16 hour fast, 8 hour window to eat.

No offense but you aren’t a big guy. You say you want to get big but are throwing in some weird ass variable into the equation. Why not just do what has been proven over and over again and not worry about this crap?

All the big fellas I have spoken to on this site and outside of it have never done this.[/quote]

Hmm…a lot of people haven’t tried a lot of shit. In the end, I still go for a caloric surplus, I don’t have any rules besides the 8 hour window.

I know what you mean though.

It’s just that you don’t have to look around very long to find scientific AND (most importantly in my opinion) anecdotal evidence to back up this IF. I’ve looked a lot and the only people that seem to have anything bad to say about it are people that haven’t tried it. That’s the most important part to me, if I could just find a few people who applied it correctly, yet reported shitty gains I wouldn’t bother. But I can’t find ANY.

Besides, I think when it comes to diet, there is more leeway away from the basics. But yeah…you said what I’ve already asked myself, but I can’t find badmouthing about it anywhere. I mean even DC training has bad-mouthers ha.

Are your stats current, still 160lbs 10-12% bf? Do you really think IF is the best way to get bigger and stronger like you said in the top of the thread?

I’ve seen people use it for dieting down with huge success, less on bulking up.

I think it would also depend on your weight etc, if you need 7000 cals a day its going to be harder to fit them into a smaller time frame.

check out leangains.blogspot.com/

There’s also a lot of info on Lyle McDonald’s site, he’s not hugely popular with a lot of people on this board for some reason so i’m not sure if you gong to get a lot of great feedback here.

Could be wrong though.

Ive used it for dieting down, mainly because i travel a lot for work and it made it really easy to adhere to when you are constantly in hotels and airports. did everything it said it would.

[quote]martyh wrote:
Are your stats current, still 160lbs 10-12% bf? Do you really think IF is the best way to get bigger and stronger like you said in the top of the thread?[/quote]

I don’t see why not

You IF every night, leave it at that :wink:

seriously, I don’t see the desire for this type of stuff.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
martyh wrote:
Are your stats current, still 160lbs 10-12% bf? Do you really think IF is the best way to get bigger and stronger like you said in the top of the thread?

I don’t see why not[/quote]

b/c you’re 160 lbs

[quote]stevo_ wrote:
I’ve seen people use it for dieting down with huge success, less on bulking up.

I think it would also depend on your weight etc, if you need 7000 cals a day its going to be harder to fit them into a smaller time frame.

check out leangains.blogspot.com/

There’s also a lot of info on Lyle McDonald’s site, he’s not hugely popular with a lot of people on this board for some reason so i’m not sure if you gong to get a lot of great feedback here.

Could be wrong though.

Ive used it for dieting down, mainly because i travel a lot for work and it made it really easy to adhere to when you are constantly in hotels and airports. did everything it said it would.

[/quote]

Ah yes, I’ve seen that sight, I’ve been reading everything I could find on the subject. Yes, I know for dieting down it seems to be very successful, but it just seems that no one really even tries to use it for a bulk.

I liken in to the Anabolic Diet, where most of the people who go on it, initially, are looking to lose a couple pounds.

I don’t think many people need 7000 cals a day! ha, but even if I did, I suppose I’d use the same techniques to get easy cals as most do. Eat dirty food every once in a while, take in EVOO, peanut butter, mixed nuts, etc…

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
martyh wrote:
Are your stats current, still 160lbs 10-12% bf? Do you really think IF is the best way to get bigger and stronger like you said in the top of the thread?

I don’t see why not

b/c you’re 160 lbs[/quote]

I don’t see what the big deal is really. I think that BECAUSE my maintenance cals are pretty low, around 2500, it would make it easy for me to follow this.

I’m still going to be going for a caloric surplus. It’s just a fast and a refeeding window. Well, it’s not like i’m doing TBT for 10x3 or some shit like that. I reeeally think that as far as diet goes there’s room for experimentation.

I mean just look at that silly thread that popped up like a week ago about drinking coke after a workout. The variety of answers shows that lots of people do things slightly differently than others when it comes to diet.

As far as people that practice it, our very own exile-swede uses it

http://www.T-Nation.com/myTNation.do?id=175202

I remember this was the first time I heard of it. In his Physique and Performance photo.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:

I mean just look at that silly thread that popped up like a week ago about drinking coke after a workout. The variety of answers shows that lots of people do things slightly differently than others when it comes to diet.[/quote]

there never should have been a variety of answers for that thread to begin with

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
That One Guy wrote:

I mean just look at that silly thread that popped up like a week ago about drinking coke after a workout. The variety of answers shows that lots of people do things slightly differently than others when it comes to diet.

there never should have been a variety of answers for that thread to begin with[/quote]

Good point.

Although I don’t agree with any form of fasting due to the fact that more food = growth for most people, and that many lead a busy lifestlye that has forced intermittent fasts in them on occasion as it is.

I will add this however…[quote]

Bodybuilding 101:
There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trial and error, experimentation. The “failed” experiments are as much a part of the process as the experiment that ultimately “works.”

[/quote]

good luck and let errbody know the results :wink: lol

DG

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
Although I don’t agree with any form of fasting due to the fact that more food = growth for most people, and that many lead a busy lifestlye that has forced intermittent fasts in them on occasion as it is.

I will add this however…

Bodybuilding 101:
There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trial and error, experimentation. The “failed” experiments are as much a part of the process as the experiment that ultimately “works.”

good luck and let errbody know the results :wink: lol

DG[/quote]

Ha, thanks DG. I’m gonna take measurements tomorrow. I’m tracking my calories, so I know how many calories I’m getting and my macronutrient breakdown. I don’t have any specifics in mind though regarding macros, the only things I’m really focusing on is total calories and grams of protein.

i kinda practice this. someitmes i just get sick of eating so much, and supplementing with 200gs of protein i just stop eatin for a day or two. you dont lose mass in 4 days, but totally reseting your bodies clock is useful. people get stuck in plans a lot, and a lot of times you need to blow up the plan and look at the long pic. you keep eatin big for 10 years, you can take a week off. more than once

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
You IF every night, leave it at that :wink:

seriously, I don’t see the desire for this type of stuff.[/quote]

I do it during fridays during lent. Cant eat meat so why even eat? :stuck_out_tongue:

Well first day wasn’t so bad by the way =) ha. Set PRs in the gym.