Yates Makes a 'Secret' Reference to Poliquin

Any Poliquin fans out there might know that he has worked with Dorian Yates in the past, and in this recent issue of Dorian’s column, someone asks him a question about the smith machine in regards to rotator cuff and pressing movements, Dorian’s answer;

“Only after I retired did I actually learn that the Smith machine was not nearly as safe as I had believed it to be. IN speaking with an expert on strength training and injuries, I found out that because the Smith machine always moves in a perfectly straight line, regular use of it can lead to “pattern overload” or using the same pattern too frequently…” And so on, just thought some of you guys might like to know that!

Where’s the secret?

Sorry but your shitty wallpaper distracts me from paying attention. By the way I did upright rows in the smith today, I knew the smith moved in a straight line and I did’nt need Yates to tell me.

[quote]sevenmoist wrote:
Sorry but your shitty wallpaper distracts me from paying attention. By the way I did upright rows in the smith today, I knew the smith moved in a straight line and I did’nt need Yates to tell me.[/quote]

The guy was just posting a little piece of info, no need to lay into him.

Also, do you hang your coat on the smith machine while you use it? That is it’s sole use, correct?

I do my wrist curls on the smith, JK :slight_smile: I do like to throw in SM squats once in a while.

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:
I do my wrist curls on the smith, JK :slight_smile: I do like to throw in SM squats once in a while.[/quote]

what is a sado-masochist squat

“regular use of it can lead to ‘pattern overload’” is the key line in that Dorian quote. I think that everything has it’s place in the gym, even the pink db’s (but only if your doing some rotator cuff work =D). I use a smith machine from time to time, Plie squats would be pretty hard to do if you didn’t use a smith. As long as you don’t use it for months on end, it can be a good piece of machinery.

[quote]jasmincar wrote:
MytchBucanan wrote:
I do my wrist curls on the smith, JK :slight_smile: I do like to throw in SM squats once in a while.

what is a sado-masochist squat[/quote]

LOL!!

[quote]dratner wrote:

I found out that because the Smith machine always moves in a perfectly straight line, regular use of it can lead to “pattern overload” or using the same pattern too frequently…[/quote]

I never got that…why is the smith accused of “pattern overload” when every goddamn machine moves with the same pattern anyway?

he also mentioned that the one plane movement wasn’t bad for all things, in fact he said it was preferable for some things under certain conditions.

GUESS WHAT PURISTS, sometimes i squat free sometimes i smith machine squat, both tear up my quads!!!

[quote]Nyral wrote:
dratner wrote:

I found out that because the Smith machine always moves in a perfectly straight line, regular use of it can lead to “pattern overload” or using the same pattern too frequently…

I never got that…why is the smith accused of “pattern overload” when every goddamn machine moves with the same pattern anyway?[/quote]

all machines account for pattern over load not just the smith, free weights allow for individual differences in movement, pattern based on leverage preference, dominance, natural “individual” body movement. free weights allow for all the idiosyncratic movements of each individual.

you say potato i say potato type of thing…fuck it doesn’t come off the same when you type it.

[quote]dratner wrote:
Any Poliquin fans out there might know that he has worked with Dorian Yates in the past, and in this recent issue of Dorian’s column, someone asks him a question about the smith machine in regards to rotator cuff and pressing movements, Dorian’s answer;

“Only after I retired did I actually learn that the Smith machine was not nearly as safe as I had believed it to be. IN speaking with an expert on strength training and injuries, I found out that because the Smith machine always moves in a perfectly straight line, regular use of it can lead to “pattern overload” or using the same pattern too frequently…” And so on, just thought some of you guys might like to know that!
[/quote]

Approximately 12,759 “experts” have written articles about how the smith machine can lead to patter overload. Not sure how you narrowed that down to being direct from Poliquin without any more information.

yeah i actually wasn’t showing the article to rag on the smith machine or not, just to show that Dorian mentioned Poliquin. that was it. clearly with 6 mr. olympia titles, the smith machine did him fine. CRYUSEVEN75, did you see that Tamir El Guindy also mentions Poliquin’s “1 day arm cure”? I also found that pretty cool.

i skimmed it. flex covered it a while back too, it required lots of supps. at the correct time, a real bitch of a day i suppose, i usually look forward to training arms!

[quote]ckallander wrote:
Also, do you hang your coat on the smith machine while you use it? That is it’s sole use, correct?[/quote]

Nope your forget about the inhuman and smith reverse wide grip pressing

Good for hip mobility, with hip next to bar (about knee height) step laterally over the bar. repeat, switch sides.

This is pretty well-known information, but thanks for posting it anyway - some people may not have heard of this.

No need to bust the guy’s balls to prove how “hardcore” you are…

[quote]dratner wrote:
yeah i actually wasn’t showing the article to rag on the smith machine or not, just to show that Dorian mentioned Poliquin. that was it. clearly with 6 mr. olympia titles, the smith machine did him fine. CRYUSEVEN75, did you see that Tamir El Guindy also mentions Poliquin’s “1 day arm cure”? I also found that pretty cool. [/quote]

Man, I bet Charles Glass is jealous.

I believe it, but damn, you sure can build some sick muscle using that thing. I know I have. Sucks, but I guess I’ll stop using it. Thanks!

I use the Smith Machine for Incline Bench Pressing, as it keeps it in the fixed line of motion.

Freeweight Incline Benching i cannot bring it to the same spot all the time if my shoulders are tired.

Don’t write the Smith Machine off, it’s good in some uses, just like everything else :slight_smile:

What about those smiths with a 7 degree angle?