Yates Heavy Duty Routine, Anyone?

i just started it and was wondering if anyone else has tried it.

Chest/Delts/Back

Bi’s/Tri’s/Legs

M-W-F?

If that’s the one, it’s great. Low volume, fairly high frequency and super high intensity.

The person who influenced my training the most is Dorian Yates. To me, he was the most calculated, cerebral, and methodical bodybuilder there ever was and much of what he wrote or spoke about made perfect sense.

However, I do not follow his routine to the letter, nor do I think anyone should unless they had the exact same structure and genetics that he did. The guy basically had no weak points. He also had long legs, a short torso, and a barrel chest. I am not put together like this.

I have always had glaring weaknesses, like much of the rest of the world, which is 99.99 percent of us here on T-Mag probably. So, I structure my workouts differently than he did. He also recommended in his books not to follow his writings to the T and to make adjustments for yourself.

Dorian trained four days per week, not Mon, Wed, and Fri.

His split was as follows:
1)Chest, Biceps, abs
2)Legs
3) Shoulders, traps, tris, abs
4) Upper back, rear delts, lower back

He did this in the exact order of muscle groups as listed.

I personally do two sets per exercise. He did one main set. I train calves, then, hams, then quads. He trained quads, then hams, then calves. I have also used pre exhaust with muscles that he did not and vice versa.

I also do not use all the same exercises that he did. I use free weight squats. Dorian relied heavily on Smith squats and leg presses. I do not do stiff leg deadlifts or hyperextensions. I do not employ forced reps. He did. And so on and so on. It is OK to be influenced by people but you must make adustments.

Actually that routine above was the last one he used for about 6 or 7 years. He used two different routines for several years before this final one.

Blood and Guts isn’t that what he called it.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

Dorian trained four days per week, not Mon, Wed, and Fri.

His split was as follows:
1)Chest, Biceps, abs
2)Legs
3) Shoulders, traps, tris, abs
4) Upper back, rear delts, lower back

[/quote]

Actually he wrote that, for many years he did train three days per week, every other day just as I wrote with the exact split that I wrote above in my post.

Only much later in his career did he switch to the four-day you have there.

At least that’s what it says in the book on my lap, Blood and Guts.

Yes, you are right. His first routine was done three days per week. He split his body in two parts, an A/B routine. He trained chest, back, and shoulders on one day and quads, hams, calves, bis, and tris on another day. He alternated these days three days per week.

His next routine was a 3 way split spread out over five days.
Day 1: Chest, tris, bis
Day 2: Quads, hams, calves
Day 3: off
Day 4: Back, shoulders
Day 5: off
Repeat cycle
He did this routine from '87 to '91 if memory serves me correctly. The first one mentioned above was from '83 to '86.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
Yes, you are right. His first routine was done three days per week. He split his body in two parts, an A/B routine. He trained chest, back, and shoulders on one day and quads, hams, calves, bis, and tris on another day. He alternated these days three days per week.

Repeat cycle
He did this routine from '87 to '91 if memory serves me correctly. The first one mentioned above was from '83 to '86. [/quote]

So is it like DC sort of, one big set with necessary warm up sets?

What are the details if you guys don’t mind?

Thanks
TBN

[quote]InTheZone wrote:
So is it like DC sort of, one big set with no RM, and necessary warm up sets building up to it?

Thanks
TBN[/quote]

Dorian was fond of saying “In a perfect world, you’d do one set, we don’t live in a perfect world however so I do two sets.”

He used staggered grips, drop sets, partials etc. to push the intensity way up.

For anyone who is interested:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY/is_1_26/ai_n24356599

[quote]InTheZone wrote:
Bricknyce wrote:

Repeat cycle
He did this routine from '87 to '91 if memory serves me correctly. The first one mentioned above was from '83 to '86.

So is it like DC sort of, one big set with necessary warm up sets?

Thanks
TBN[/quote]

I would not say any of his training programs were similar to DC. His first routine, the A/B routine discussed before employed 3 sets per exercise for a total of 6 to 9 sets per bodypart once every 4 to 5 days. DC has you doing 1 - 3 sets per bodypart once every 4 to 5 days.

His next two programs, the 3 way split over five days one outlined above was less similar to DC and his last program was even less similar to DC. His last program, one he used for quite some time, only trained each muscle group once per week, unlike DC, which has you training each muscle once every 4 to 5 days. His programs were also more like conventional bodybuilding. Here is a DC workout for chest:
Inline Barbell Press
1 set of 6 - 8 reps + rest pause + rest pause
That’s it!

Here is Dorian’s last chest routine:
Incline Press
Hammer Strength Bench Press
Incline Flyes
Cable Crossovers

I say get Dorian’s books and video.

[quote]derek wrote:
InTheZone wrote:
So is it like DC sort of, one big set with no RM, and necessary warm up sets building up to it?

Thanks
TBN

Dorian was fond of saying “In a perfect world, you’d do one set, we don’t live in a perfect world however so I do two sets.”

He used staggered grips, drop sets, partials etc. to push the intensity way up.

Dorian Yates - DY Nutrition [/quote]

He did state that. However, in his last routine, he only employed one main set per exercise. In his 3 way split, he used 2 sets. In his AB split he used 3 sets.

the one i got out of flex maganize is setup like this.
day 1- delts, traps, tricepts, abs
day 2- back, rear delts
day 3-rest
day 4- chest , biceps, abs
day 5-rest
day 6- quads, hamstring, calves

Would Yates be considered an HIT-er then? Sounds like it (not necessarily Mentzer’s Heavy Duty, but still HIT)?

You just posted what I posted above.

I would not call Dorian a true “HITer”. He was INFLUENCED by HIT writers. However, he used a bodypart split and did several exercises per muscle group.