Yard Work vs Gym Work

I work out 5 days a week, sometimes 2x’s a day and other than the usual soreness I’m pretty good.

I get outside and chop some wood and rake for an hour or so and i’m sore beyond all belief…

Sometimes we forget just how great ordinary yard work can be at working out our muscles, and those ‘little’ muscles we don’t realize we never work when we’re in the Gym…

Its amazing when we stop to think about how much of a workout those ‘outside’ chores can be. One can really see how all those farmer walks, dragging of trees with chains/ropes/whatever and more really do reflect great workout techniques. The form for doing these is important too unless you want to wrench your back out doing something wrong.

Just thought I’d post and see what you all thought about those misc yard chores vs gym workouts and the soreness they bring compared to each other.

[quote]Oldfart wrote:
I work out 5 days a week, sometimes 2x’s a day and other than the usual soreness I’m pretty good.

I get outside and chop some wood and rake for an hour or so and i’m sore beyond all belief…

Sometimes we forget just how great ordinary yard work can be at working out our muscles, and those ‘little’ muscles we don’t realize we never work when we’re in the Gym…

Its amazing when we stop to think about how much of a workout those ‘outside’ chores can be. One can really see how all those farmer walks, dragging of trees with chains/ropes/whatever and more really do reflect great workout techniques. The form for doing these is important too unless you want to wrench your back out doing something wrong.

Just thought I’d post and see what you all thought about those misc yard chores vs gym workouts and the soreness they bring compared to each other.[/quote]

Well, I pulled my crossbow about 60 times on saturday and felt a pretty big pump in my back and erectors. I figure I did about 9000 lbs of lifting there, when in a normal deadlift workout I probaly wouldn’t lift that much overall.

Got a compound bow that I tool around with on occasion. Sadly I need to buy a few more arrows. I also need to buy a new block. My cattle tore mine up after I left it in the field one night when I forgot to grab it when messing with my boys.

I know what you mean. You’re thinkin’ “I lift on a regular basis, I should be able to handle this” and you wakeup the next morning asking yourself “Good Lord, did I get hit by a truck yesterday?”

Well doing yard work on top of weightlifting is the reason. If you did no weightlifting at all I hypothesis you wouldnt be as sore from your yardwork. That being said if you upped the amount of total yardwork with no gym, you still may be just as sore. I usually see my old man rake the leaves and mow the lawn. No way I could handle that on top of work and gym. Haha.

If you want to go Yard work vs. Gym work there is no way to honestly say. Thats like asking who’s better in bed asian girls , or latinas. Case by Case basis.

chopping wood would be goo too… and always make sure u drink ur protein shake after u rake ur leaves

Heh…

Drinkin a protein shake would be funny IMHO after doing what I did, but I hauled tree trunks I had cut up with a chain tied around it and the old leg method to my burn pile.

Was a cheap, makeshift sled and I felt it in my legs.

Chopping wood with the axe was fun too. I could use a chainsaw but unless i’m just ‘going at it’ for long periods of time I prefer to get the workout on top of it.

Just out of curiousity why were you chopping wood ? Was it out of necessity or were you just doing it to get a workout ?

I read a post on some board that someone said some men from his gym challenged some farm workers to a tug of war and the gym guys got cleaned out.

Try shoveling a foot of snow out of your driveway ever other day! That will keep you back strong and do wonders for your cardio.

[quote]triple-10sets wrote:
Just out of curiousity why were you chopping wood ? Was it out of necessity or were you just doing it to get a workout ? [/quote]

believe it or not, fireplaces do still exist, and they aren’t all gas powered with concrete logs. you gotta go out in the boonies to find em but there out there :wink:

Well doing yard work on top of weightlifting is the reason. If you did no weightlifting at all I hypothesis you wouldnt be as sore from your yardwork.[/quote]

Have you never done any work outside? I guarantee you, it’ll get you sore regardless of whether you weight train or not.

I’ll add digging holes with post hole diggers will get you pretty sore the next day.

[quote]sfajohn wrote:
triple-10sets wrote:
Well doing yard work on top of weightlifting is the reason. If you did no weightlifting at all I hypothesis you wouldnt be as sore from your yardwork.

Have you never done any work outside? I guarantee you, it’ll get you sore regardless of whether you weight train or not.

I’ll add digging holes with post hole diggers will get you pretty sore the next day.

[/quote]

All so true. I found out now when chores get done or friends need help, guess who gets to do all the heavy stuff, hahaha!

I don’t really get sore, but I’ve done hay bales, wood chopping, lawn mowing and such in the past. I actually found that my strength makes it easier overall.

Just out of curiousity why were you chopping wood ? Was it out of necessity or were you just doing it to get a workout ? [/quote]

I have a fire pit that I go chop wood for whenever we want to have a night fire and sit in the chairs by it.

I could tear up the tree real quick and all with a chainsaw but I enjoy the workout part of swinging the axe. Sure it takes alot longer, and I sweat more but I enjoy the workout.

The fun is the closer I get to the trunk (its a full size tree about 2 feet wide at the base) the harder it gets… Maybe i’ll give in and chain saw it… maybe I wont :slight_smile: Then I can always say I chopped a 40 foot tall tree down and in pieces with just an axe :slight_smile:

Thats actually what Muhammad Ali did at his training camp before the 2nd frazier fight. Chopped trees at the camp. I read that in the book I have documenting the Frazier Vs. Ali saga. He said “I thank them trees for my strength”.

[quote]sfajohn wrote:

[/quote]

Word.

I dug a 40 foot ditch, 3 feet deep with a post digger in 2 and a half hours one job !!!

It was in my bosses back yard to run a power cord to his garage from his house.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
sfajohn wrote:
triple-10sets wrote:
Well doing yard work on top of weightlifting is the reason. If you did no weightlifting at all I hypothesis you wouldnt be as sore from your yardwork.

All so true. I found out now when chores get done or friends need help, guess who gets to do all the heavy stuff, hahaha!

I don’t really get sore, but I’ve done hay bales, wood chopping, lawn mowing and such in the past. I actually found that my strength makes it easier overall.

[/quote]

I agree with tom here, i find that I dont get sore from manual labor type tasks, although sometimes i get a pump in my erectors(lol does that just sound funny to me?) it goes away and I end up not being sore the next day. I also have found that bodybuilder type workouts have great carryover to swinging an ax and stuff. When i used to do a million sets of like 8-12 reps of god only knows how many lifts i wouldnt get tired from splitting wood, or digging ditches. Sled work seems to have the same effect.