T Nation

Xjusticex2013x's 5/3/1 Training Log

~~~NOTICE (2-19-12): This was originally a training log exclusively for 5/3/1, however, since starting this log almost 19 months ago, my training has deviated from it to the point that I don't even run it anymore. Keep that in mind, as this is meant to be a general chronicle of my training in spite of the log's name.~~~

Well, I decided to start keeping a training log to try something new. I've just started my 3rd cycle of 5/3/1. So, here are some details.

Years Lifting: 3
Years Training: 1 1/2
Weight: 175 lbs
Height: 5"9

1RM's (rough estimate)

Zercher Squat: 300
Push Press: 155
Deadlift: 375

Goals

Zercher Squat: 315+
Push Press: Bodyweight
Deadlift: 405+

I train three times a week, usually on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. On Monday, I Zercher. On Wednesday, I Push Press. On Friday, I deadlift (my pride and joy).

I'll try to keep this log as up to date as possible, but I'm not making any promises.

Anyway, lets get this thing started…

Zercher Squat Workout - Aug. 9, 2010 (Cycle 3, Week 1)

Warmup

Hip Mobility Work

Zercher Squat

135x5
175x5
205x5
230x6

Left some in the tank. 230 felt tougher than it looked today. Stance was a tad narrower than usual.

Stiff-Legged Deadlift

225x5
235x5
240x5

My grip kept on slipping on these. Not a lot of weight either; the Zerchers fried me good today for some reason. I always have grip issues on SLDL/RDL since I’m bearing the weight throughout the entire set.

Leg Press

4 plates x 10
5 plates x 10
6 plates x 5

Hill Sprints

6x5 Sprints (30 sec rest)

I thought about skipping the sprints today since I was pretty tired, but I decided to suck it up and get the job done. I have a short, but steep hill.

You’ve got some great numbers for 15 years old, dude. I wish I started training at 12. Loving the sprints.

[quote]Benjuito wrote:
You’ve got some great numbers for 15 years old, dude. I wish I started training at 12. Loving the sprints.[/quote]

Thanks, but I didn’t start training at 12, at least not by my criteria (notice how I separate years training and years lifting). I distinguish between the two. When I was 12, I was just another clueless kid in the weightroom. When I started training, I began to get things together and get serious.

I appreciate the props on the numbers as well. To me, they’re not weak, per se, but they’re not very strong, either. There’s plenty of 15 years olds DLing way more than me.

And yes, hill sprints are quite a man-maker of HIIT.

Push Press Workout - Aug. 11, 2010 (Cycle 3, Week 1)

I had to help a friend with some yard work yesterday, so I may have been a tad weaker than usual.

Warmup

Shoulder Dislocations - 2x12

Push Press

45x5
95x5
110x5
120x6

Felt like I could have done at least two more reps. I’m just getting tired of all of these high-rep workouts.

Chinup

BW+40x5 (tied PR)
BW+40x3
BW+30x2
------dropset------
BWx2

I haven’t done heavy weighted chins for a while. I’m glad to see that my strength hasn’t diminished at all. I wanted to get more reps in on the BW+30 set, so I just dropped the dumbbell and did a few more, although my grip didn’t allow for many more; chinups always give me an insane forearm pump.

Dumbbell Shoulder Press

55’s x 6 (PR)
55’s x 5
55’s x 3

Nothing much to say here, except that the DB’s were a pain to get into position on the last set.

That’s it for this workout. Next stop: deadlift day.

Deadlift Workout - Aug. 14, 2010 (Cycle 3, Week 1)

Warmup

Two circuits of:

T-spine Mobility Work
Bodyweight Hypers - 20 reps
Step-ups - 12 reps per leg

Deadlift

135x5
225x5
260x5
295x5
(335x1)x3 (approx 30 secs rest)

I added in the singles to get used to pulling heavy again. My back rounded some on the first two sets, and was a little excessive on the last. Should I even be concerned with it when I’m using this type of weight? This felt like it was about 90% - 95% of my true 1RM, and was done with minimal rest between sets. If so, how should I go about correcting it? Probably hammer the deficit DL’s, SLDL, Weighted Hypers, and core work, but if anyone wants to chime in, go right ahead.

Deficit Deadlift

205x5
215x5
225x5

This is my second time ever doing deficit work, so I kept the weight pretty light.

Prone Bridges

(BW + 3 plates x F)x3

Weighted Hypers

BW+35x20
BW+45x20

New to these, too. We’ll see where it goes…

Edit: Oh yeah, I did some sandbag work, too. Forgot to mention that…

I’m behind schedule…oh well.

Zercher Squat Workout - Aug. 17, 2010 (Cycle 3, Week 2)

Warmup

Hip Mobility Work

Zercher Squat

135x3
190x3
215x3
245x3

Pretty mundane today; just hit an easy triple with 245 and moved on.

Stiff-Legged Deadlift

235x5
245x5
255x5

These were actually more like Romanians than SL’s, but whatever.

Leg Press

(5 plates x 10)x2

Had to leave early to catch my ride home. No big deal. I didn’t miss anything important; I was only going to do another set on the leg press.

Hill Sprints

6x6 Sprints (30 sec rest)

I ran barefoot. I am your god. :slight_smile:

My dad underwent knee surgery on Monday. It’s really interfering with my training.

Push Press Workout - Aug. 20, 2010 (Cycle 3, Week 2)

Warmup

Push Press

45x3
100x3
115x3
130x7 (PR)

I hit a PR. Felt like I could have done another.

Chinup

BW+40x6 (PR)
BW+40x4
BW+30x3
------dropset------
BWx1

BWx1? Holy shit, that’s epic. :smiley:

Dumbbell Shoulder Press

55’s x 8 (PR)
55’s x 6
55’s x 3

And for fun…

Light Lat Pulldown

(130x20)x2

Just pumped some blood into the muscles.

Great workout today; I was setting PRs left and right. I won’t be back in the gym until next Monday. Sigh

Deadlift Workout - Aug. 23, 2010 (Cycle 3, Week 2)

Warmup

Two circuits of:

T-spine Mobility Work
Bodyweight Step-ups - 12 reps per leg

Deadlift

135x3
165x3
185x3
205x3
240x3
280x3
310x9 (BIG PR)

Niiiiiiiice…my best was 315x5. After the set, my posterior chain felt like my technique was in check. That was a grueling PR. This couldn’t come at a better time; I’ve been getting a feeling lately that I’ve been spinning my wheels when it came to the deadlift. That notion was dis-proven, however. This workout had me stoked!

Now that I’m done spazzing, it’s time to finish the workout.

Deficit Deadlift

215x5
225x5
235x5 (PR)

It’s a huge pain in the ass to do deficit work. My platform is too tall to get my feet under the bar, so I have to prop the bar up with a plate on each end. Doesn’t work very well, but it’ll have to do.

Prone Bridges

(3 plates x F)x2
4 plates x F (PR)

I suppose it’s a PR, since I’ve never attempt four plates before. Maybe I should keep count next time…

Weighted Hypers

(BW+45x25)x2 (PR)

These were a killer on the glutes, hamstrings, and lower back (in a good way)!

Another great workout. Why am I setting so many PRs lately? I’m really liking 5/3/1 so far.

My schedule is all fucked up for the rest of the cycle, so I’ll be starting the next week of training THIS week. I’m planning on Wednesday, but I may give myself an extra day of rest, depending on how I feel. Hopefully I’ll be able to set a PR on the Zerchers next workout regardless (shooting for 255x5).

On another note, I probably won’t be doing sandbag work after each deadlift workout anymore; it’s just too much after such tough deadlifting…

Well, that’s it.

I felt refreshed today, so I proceeded with my schedule as planned.

Zercher Squat Workout - Aug. 25, 2010 (Cycle 3, Week 3)

Warmup

Hip Mobility Work

Zercher Squat

135x5
205x5
230x3
255x5 (PR)

Nailed it. Old PR was 245x5. Two months ago, I could only do 225x5. Great progress so far.

Stiff-Legged Deadlift

(185x10)x2
185x10 (Deadstop, Sumo stance)

I took it easy on the SL’s today and gave the lower back a break (not that it was hurting or I was using bad technique or whatever); it deserved it after all of the PR’s I’ve set. My grip just wouldn’t hold, so I switched to sumo SL’s. First time trying them. Interesting exercise…

Leg Press

(4 plates x 12)x3

Hill Sprints

6x7 Sprints (30 secs rest)

You can tell that your getting in better condition when you’re sweating more than your heart is pumping. :smiley:

Push Press Workout - Aug. 27, 2010 (Cycle 3, Week 3)

Warmup

Push Press

45x5
110x5
120x3
135x6 (PR)

Pretty big PR. Felt like I had another.

Chinup

BW+45x5 (PR)
BW+45x3
BW+30x3
------dropset------
BWx7 (I think)

I rest-paused the bodyweight set, so that’s why I have a hard time remembering just how many reps I did. It was either six or seven.

Dumbbell Shoulder Press

(55’s x 6)x2
40’s x 8

Felt weak on these today. Ah, who cares? It’s assistance.

And for fun…

Dumbbell Curls

35’s x 10/10
------dropset------
(25’s x 10/10)x2

Hit a milestone today on the Push Press: a plate a side for 5+ reps. My bodyweight goal will fall in no time!

Deadlift Workout - Aug. 30, 2010 (Cycle 3, Week 3)

Warmup

Two circuits of:

T-spine Mobility Work
Bodyweight Step-ups - 20 reps per leg

Deadlift

135x1
225x5
260x5
295x3
330x1

Wow. A weight that I was shooting for 5, I only got for one! I just stopped the workout there; it was clear that my mind wasn’t in the right place.

Zercher Squat Workout - Sept. 2, 2010 (Cycle 3, Week 4)

Warmup

Hip Mobility Work

Zercher Squat

115x5
135x5
160x5

ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…I hate deloading…

Stiff-legged Deficit Deadlift

(175x10)x3

I experimented with doing SL’s from a deficit. I just used smaller plates. Really felt it in the hamstrings.

After these, I wanted to see if I could continental clean this weight, so…

Continental Clean

(175x1)x2

Just fooling around…

Leg Press

(5 plates x 10)x2
500x10

I realized something. If I add anything besides 45’s to the leg press, it messes with the “x plates” method of naming. So, from now on, whenever this is the case, I’ll simply add up the weight on the machine and use that without including the weight of the sled.

Hill Sprints

5x5 Sprints (30 secs rest)

These felt tough due to the SL’s.

Auxiliary Workout - Sept. 4, 2010 (Cycle 3, Week 4)

Today was supposed to be a push press workout, but my dad was too busy to drive me to the gym, so I had to improvise. I have a shitty barbell and a chinup bar on my back deck, but it’s infested with stinkbugs right now, and I don’t want to go out there. So, the only training tool that I had to my disposal was a tree in my front yard…let’s get to it (no push pressing today…I’m deloading, so it works out alright)!

Chinup

(BWx5)x5
BWx8 (kipping)

These are much harder than chinups on a bar. The grip is odd and the limb is fat; it’s very awkward overall.

Clapping Push-up

(BWx10)x3

I did this whole workout outside wearing only slippers and shorts. I felt like a caveman. :smiley:

Didn’t know you had a log going man, I’ll be checking in

So why zerchers?

[quote]ashylarryku wrote:
Didn’t know you had a log going man, I’ll be checking in

So why zerchers?[/quote]

I don’t have a power rack. It works out pretty well.

I skipped my deload deadlift workout. Couldn’t get to the gym. Oh well, nothing important missed. I also started my sophomore year of high school today. Back to the ol’ grind. :wink:

Zercher Squat Workout - Sept. 7, 2010 (Cycle 4, Week 1)

Warmup

Hip Mobility Work

Zercher Squat

135x5
180x5
210x5
240x10 (PR)

That was hard…

Barbell Row

165x5 (PR)
170x5 (PR)
(135x8)x2

Why is it after I take a break from a particular exercise, I always come back stronger? These are done pretty strict with back horizontal, btw.

Landmine (not counting barbell)

25x12
(30x12)x2

Hill Sprints

4x8 Sprints (30 secs rest)

Good day.

Push Press Workout - Sept. 9, 2010 (Cycle 4, Week 1)

Warmup

Push Press

45x5
95x5
110x5
125x5
155x1 (PR)
165x2 (PR)

I wanted to test my push press, so I did. 155 was ridiculously easy, so I went for 165 and hit it for a tad hard double. I seriously underestimated my PP strength. I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m already able to do my bodyweight, even if I gained about five pounds (weigh about 180 now). What I really want is a 200 lb push press, and I’ll be damned if I don’t get it by the end of the year.

Dip

BWx5
BW+60x5
BW+85x5 (PR)
BW+45x5

Tough PR; my chest is already sore as hell as I type this (just finished training about 45 minutes ago). I’m shooting for BW+90x5 by the end of this cycle.

Chinup

(BWx8)x2
BWx7

Was doing 3x8, but I reached failure. Understandable enough; this was a difficult workout.

Incline Tricep Extension

(70x10)x2
70x5

Again, was going for 3x10, but I couldn’t do it. My triceps had an enormous pump.

The End. Another kickass workout.

Well, this workout didn’t go as planned at all…

Deadlift Workout - Sept. 12, 2010 (Cycle 4, Week 1)

Didn’t bother to warmup; I was already tired from having to jog to the gym today.

Deadlift

135x5
230x5
265x5
300x5
225x1

300 was a lot tougher than it should have been, but at least I got my reps in. I’m not all that discouraged by this. In addition to going to the gym on foot today (which tired out my legs), I didn’t eat enough. I decided to rep out 225, but one rep is all that it took to realize that I need to back off, rest, and eat. It’s annoying how my crappy workouts are always the deadlift ones.

After this, I tried doing Glute-Ham Raises, but I just didn’t have the energy. I promptly left afterwards. I’ll be stronger next time, and, once again, be ready to pull some motherfucking PRs!!!

Zercher Squat Workout - Sept. 14, 2010 (Cycle 4, Week 2)

Warmup

Hip Mobility Work

Zercher Squat

135x5
195x3
225x3
250x3

Easy shit.

Barbell Row

175x5 (PR)
185x5 (PR, not too strict…)
(135x8)x2

I’ll hit 185 strict soon…

Landmine

25x12
30x12
35x12

These are awkward, yet pretty effective.

After this, I felt like doing some cleaning, so…

Clean

(135x2)x3

Just some doubles to try to get the technique; felt pretty good.

Hill Sprints

2x10 Sprints

Today was alright I guess. Nothing much to say at all.