XFlyer96's Surge Workout Challenge

Creating this log to track Surge Challenge progress and results.

Good luck!

Thank you.

I received my Surge workout kit last Thursday. I had a work trip scheduled earlier this week so decided to start my workouts today. I have a month before I have to travel again so I can put in the work necessary to give the workouts a proper go.

First, I would like to thank Dr. Darden and Tim for allowing me to participate in this challenge. The Surge package arrived on time and everything was included as promised. I am excited to participate in a program designed by Dr. Darden as I have followed him for years.

I completed the first workout this morning. I enjoyed the routine very much. As others have said, it was not an easy session and I have been training in a high intensity manner for years. The stacking of exercises and the variety of techniques involved in performing the reps allows for a very intense workout and significant inroad in a relatively brief amount of time. The volume felt appropriate as well, not too much and not too little.

My weight choices seem to be pretty accurate, with only a couple slight adjustments for next time. I made some small modifications in terms of exercise choice to fit the equipment I have available and my limitations. However, I tried as much as possible to stick to the prescribed routine and when that was not possible, employ the principles behind it.

I am looking forward to the next session given all the comments regarding the Lat and bicep blocks. I haven’t been forced to curl 20lb dumbbells in some time and it sounds like I will be lucky to do that!.

Probably the hardest thing for me as it relates to the first workout was getting the Surge down…LOL. Not that it didn’t taste good, it definitely did. I work out early, right after I wake up. Drinking that much liquid in less than an hour (20 minutes before the workout and another serving during the 30 minute workout) is something I will have to get used to. Some people have to work on their workload capacity, I need to work on my drinking capacity (not in college anymore).

I will detail my weights in my next post. But for now, one workout in and I feel great. Looking forward to workout two on Sunday.

Good luck to everyone.

1 Like

Completed workout 2 on Sunday. Some minor exercise substitutions due to available equipment.

Enjoyed the workout. Lats and biceps blocks were great. Killer blocks that trashed my back and biceps. Shoulders were fine but did not feel as much inroad as I did with back and biceps. Calves were good, quite a burn and some cramping throughout the session.

Shoulders
Pump
Overhand Hang - 40 sec.
Lateral Raise - 30lb x10
Leverage Overhead Press (upright row bothers shoulders) - 200lbs x10
Stimulate
Leverage Overhead Press - 185lbsx10
Lateral Raise - 25lb
DB Farmer’s Walk 40 steps - 100lb DBs
Dumbbell Shrugs - 100lb DBsx15
Flutter
Lateral Raise 20lb x 30 sec.

Lats
Pump
Plate Loaded Close Grip Pulldown - 125lbx10
Plate Loaded Cable Pullover - 60lbx10
Chest-Supported Rows - 110x10
Stimulate
Plate Loaded Cable Pullover - 60lbx10
Flutter
Plate Loaded Cable Pullover - 50lb x 45 sec.

Bicep
Pump
Close-grip cambered bar curls 90lb x8
Chin-up x8
Wide-grip cambered bar curls 90lb x8
Stimulate
Zottman Curls 30lb x10
Hammer Curls 30lb x10
DB Curls 30lb x10
Flutter
DB Curls 30lb x 30 sec.

Calves
Pump
Seated Calf Raise 135lbx10
Standing Calf Raise 135lbx10
Leg Press Calf Raise 250lbx10
Stimulate
Standing Calf Raise 135x10
Flutter
Standing Calf Raise 135x30 sec.

Workout 3 complete.

Chest
Pump
BB Bench Press - 235x10
Banded Fly - x12
Push up - x20
Stimulate
BB Bench Press - 195x10
Flutter
BB Bench Press - 185x30sec.

Biceps
Pump
Close Grip Cable Curl - Pin at 10x10
Chin Up - x10
Wide Grip Cable Curl - Pin at 8x10
Stimulate
DB Zottman Curl - 30lbx10
DB Hammer Curl - 30lbx10
DB Curl - 30lbx10
Flutter
Cable Curl - Pin at 8 x30sec

Triceps
Pump
Rope Press Down - 60x10
Close Grip Bench Press - 205x10
Rope Press Down - 60x10
Stimulate
Skull Crusher - 75lbx10
Banded Extension - x10
Pump
Close Grip Bench Press - 185x30sec

Legs
Pump
Wide Leg Press 350lbx8
Narrow Leg Press 350lbx8
Med. Leg Press 350lbx8
Stimulate
Leg Press 350lbx10
Flutter
Leg Press 350lbx30 sec

Coming out of my 3rd workout my biggest question is how hard should we be pushing the first exercise in the pump sequence? For example, my first set of bench press in today’s workout was quite a few reps short of failure. However, my last exercise in the pump sequence was very hard and close to failure.

Is this the appropriate way to run the pump sequence? Or, should the first exercise be within 1-2 reps of failure and as a result, the second and third exercises in the sequence would have to be much lighter?

Nice work. The amount of weight you’re moving with this set up is insane! I can’t imagine doing 195x10 on the stimulate phase of the chest. I’ve found it’s hard to push the weights within this program, with the almost no-rest periods and built up fatigue from the pump work and previous blocks.

Thank you. I would guess there are a couple things at play:

1. Although I haven’t run a program like this, I have run quite a few with high density work with little to no rest periods between exercises. I can promise you when I first started these types of routines my strength ( if you can call it that) was embarrassing… it took patience and a lot of hard work to build my strength back up given this type of routine. My guess is if folks participating in this challenge stick with it for a few months following the initial challenge, they will see their strength “catch up” as they become accustomed to this type of work

2. Per my question above, I think I may be going too light in the first exercise of the pump phase. I may be entering the stimulate phase too fresh with my strength still intact. I might be inadvertently “cheating.” I am going to push harder on the first pump exercise during my next workout and see how that impacts the rest of the block.

I hope your workouts are progressing well and that you are enjoying the challenge.

1 Like

Workout 4

Triceps
Pump
Plate Loaded Rope Press down - 60x10
Close-grip press - 210x10
Plate Loaded Rope Press down - 60x10
Stimulate
Skull Crusher - 80lbx10
Banded Extension - X10
Flutter
Close-grip press 185x35sec.

Lats
Pump
Chest Supported Rows - 120x10
Plate Loaded Cable Pullover - 60x10
Close-grip Pulldown - 125x12
Stimulate
Plate Loaded Cable Pullover 60X10
Flutter
Plate Loaded Pullover 60x30sec

Forearms
Pump
Wrist Curl 95X10
Reverse Wrist Curl 45x10
Reverse Cable Curl pin at 8 (I am so weak at these!) x 12
Stimulate
Wrist Curl 95x10
Flutter
Wrist Curl 95x30sec

Calves
Pump
Seated Calf raise - 135x12
Leg Press Calf raise - 250x10
Toes Pointed Leg Curl - 230x12
Stimulate
Leg Press calf raise - 250x10
Flutter
Seated calf raise 135 x 35sec

Good workout. Triceps and lats might be my favorite blocks. The pump for me is unreal in both these body parts. I am really enjoying this challenge/program.

I have read where others have mentioned using this type of routine as a change of pace to their “normal” training. Folks seem to like the challenge but want to go back to their usual workouts. I am falling into the other bucket where I could see this type of workout/program becoming my new normal. It aligns with my goals, the type of workouts I enjoy, and my scheduling. Works very well for me all around.

2 Likes

Then you’ll be happy to know we’re working on Phase 3, which will include additional methods.

1 Like

Workout 5

Legs
Pump
Leg Press Wide x10
Leg Press Narrow x10
Leg Press Medium x10
Stimulate
Leg Press x 10
Flutter
Leg Press x10

Chest
Pump
BB BP X12 (upped the weight 10 lbs. This made the first set more challenging than previously when I might have been going too light. Will add another 5lbs next workout to get the reps down to 10 as prescribed)
Banded Flys x10
Push Up x 20
Stimulate
BB BP x10
Flutter
BB BP x35 sec

Biceps
Pump
Cable Preacher Curl Narrow x10
Chin up x10
Cable Curl Wide x10
Stimulate
DB Zottman x10
DB Hammer x10
DB Curl x10
Flutter
Cable Curl x40sec.

Forearms
Pump
Wrist curl x10
Reverse wrist curl x10
Reverse curl x10
Stimulate
Wrist curl x 10
Flutter
Reverse curl x 40sec.

Moved up in weight for the leg and chest blocks. Introduced the preacher curl into the biceps block as that exercise works well for me. I did not increase my DB weight on the stimulate portion of the biceps block.

Struggling a little with the 5-sec. negative on the wrist curl. It is such a short movement I find to get 5-sec it is partially a statice hold and then a lowering. Maybe I should try the reverse curl in the stimulate phase?

I thought some of the other guys might be overstating their hunger a bit as a consequence of this challenge but, it hit me this week too. Maybe it took me a week to get used to the Surge loading but now that I am, I am definitely hungrier than pre-challenge.

It’s okay to reduce the movement time in short ranges. Go for a feel similar to longer ranges. Learn to use feel as your performance gauge; it’s the most accurate and only internal metric you have.

Workout 6

Thighs
Pump
Banded leg extension toes out x15 (too light)
Seated leg curl x10
Banded leg extension toes in x15 (too light)
Stimulate
Leg Press 350x10
Banded leg extension x 15
Seated leg curl x10
Flutter
Banded leg extension X 40 sec.

I have a bad left knee due to an acute injury years ago. Arthritis was just a matter of when and I have been bone on bone for years now. I was due to have it replaced but it was cancelled as non-essential during the pandemic. It will likely take place early next year. As a result of my knee, I cannot do traditional leg extensions. I can do standing terminal knee extensions with bands. This looks like a standing leg extension and with enough bands, it results in quite the contraction.

Shoulders
Pump
Hang 45sec.
Lateral Raise 30lbsx12
Leverage overhead press 225x10 (previous shoulder workout was too light. This was a better weight)
Stimulate
Leverage overhead press 205x10
Lateral raise 25lbsx10
Farmer’s walk 100lbs DBx40steps
DB Shrugs 100’s x 15
Flutter
Leverage overhead press 205 x 30sec.

Calves
Pump
Seated calf raise x12
Leg press calf raise x12
Standing calf raise x12
Stimulate
Seated calf raise x10
Seated leg curl x10 (love this exercise in the calf block. I really feel this exercise)
Flutter
Leg press calf raise x 45sec.

Chest
Pump
BB Bench 235x12
Banded fly x12
Push-up x 20
Stimulate
BB Bench 195x10
Flutter
BB Bench 195 x30sec.

Looking forward to starting the next two weeks of workouts. So far this has been a great experience. I have really enjoyed the workouts. And as others have pointed out, my joints feel much better without sacrificing the intensity and inroad from the workouts.

1 Like

Workout 7 Yeah, Arm Day Baby. Clear out the squat rack, time to curl! LOL

Biceps
Pump
Cambered Bar Curl 100 x10
Chin up BWx10
DB Curl 40lbs x10
Stimulate
DB Zottman 30lbx10
DB Hammer 30lbx10
DB curl 35lbx10
Flutter
DB curl 35x30sec.

Triceps
Pump
Plate Loaded Rope Press Down 65x10
Close-Grip Press 210x10
Plate Loaded Rope Press Down 65x10
Stimulate
Skull Crusher 80x10
Band Extension x10
Flutter
Close-Grip Press 185x30sec.

Lats
Pump
Plate Loaded Close-Grip pulldown 140x10 (A little light)
Plate Loaded Cable Pullover 60x8
Chest Supported Rows 120x8
Stimulate
Plate Loaded cable pullover 60x10
Flutter
Plate Loaded cable pullover 60x30sec

Forearms
Pump
Wrist curl 100x10
Reverse wrist curl 45x10
Banded Reverse Curl x10
Stimulate
Wrist Curl 90x10
Flutter
Wrist curl 90x 30sec.

Good workout today. The lat block has provided me the best lat pump in my time lifting. Lats are definitely the body part I have the most difficulty feeling work. Not in this program. Love the feel for sure.

2 Likes

Workout 8
Shoulders
Pump
Hang 50 sec.
Lateral Raise x10
Overhead Press x10
Stimulate
Overhead Press x10
Lateral Raise x10
Farmer’s Walk 50 steps
Shrug x15

Calves
Pump
Leg press calf raise toes pointed out x12
Seated Calf Raise x12
Leg press toes pointed in x12
Stimulate
Leg Curl x10
Seated Calf Raise X12
Flutter
Leg press calf raise x 40 sec.

Legs
Leg press wide x8
Leg press narrow x8
Leg press strong text**

Chest
Pump
BB Press x12
Cable Fly x12
Push up x20
Stimulate
BB Press x 10
Flutter
BB Press x30sec.

I have a question for those in the Challenge as well as Dr. Darden and Tim. How hard should the first pump set/exercise? For example, if the program calls for 10 reps, are you using a weight that would cause failure between 11-12 reps or is that first set designed to be lighter? Basically, are all 3 pump sets within 1-2 reps of failure or just that last set in the pump phase?

Thank you.

1 Like

This is pretty much how I have been going about it. I’ve been trying to use a weight I can knock out the 8-10 reps fast and rhythmically. I stop when rep speed slows noticeably, probably about two shy of technical failure.

Thank you, I appreciate the reply.

Workout 9

Lats
Pump
Close-grip pulldowns x 10 (up 5lbs)
Pullover x8
Chest-Supported rows x8 (up 5lbs)
Stimulate
Pullovers x10
Flutter
Pullover x30sec.

Triceps
Rope Press down x10 (up 5lbs)
Close-grip press x10 (up 5lbs)
Rope Press down x10
Stimulate
Skull crushers x10
Band extensions x10
Flutter
Press down x 40sec.

Biceps
Pump
Cable preacher curls x10
chins x10
Standing cable curls x10
Stimulate
Zottman curls
Hammer curls
DB curls
Flutter
Cable curl x 40sec.

Chest
Pump
BB Press x10 (up 5lbs)
Cable fly x 10
Push up x 20
Stimulate
BB Press x10
Flutter
BB Press x30sec.

Chest in back to back workouts was tough. Chest was still sore from workout 8. But, despite the soreness, I was able to get all reps and increase 5lbs on the first BP set.

Workout 10
Thighs
Pump
Cable leg extension x15
Leg curl x10
Cable leg extension x15
Stimulate
Leg Press x10
Leg curl x10
Cable leg extension x10
Flutter
Cable leg extension x40sec.

Calves
Pump
LP calf raise x12
seated calf raise x12
LP calf raise x12
Stimulate
Seated calf raise x12
Leg curl x10
Flutter
LP calf raise x40sec.

Shoulders
Pump
Overhand Hang x50sec.
Lateral Raise x10
Overhead press x10
Stimulate
Overhead Press x10
Lateral Raise x10
Farmer’s walk x50 steps
DB Shrugs x15
Flutter
Lateral Raise x30sec.

Biceps
Pump
Standing Cable Curls x10
Chins x10 (very hard to get 10reps given biceps and chins were done during the previous workout)
Standing Cable Curls x10
Stimulate
Cybex machine Zottman curls x10
Cybex machine Hammer curls x10
Cybex curls x10
Flutter
Cable Curls x40sec.

The Cybex machine curls were an interesting change of pace but I think I prefer using other the original DB exercises or their cable versions.

1 Like

Workout 11
Chest
Pump
BB Press x 10 (up 5lbs)
Cable Fly x10
Push Up x20
Stimulate
BB Press x10
Flutter
BB Press x40sec.

Lats