Xbox 360 vs. PS3: Technical Stuff

Hey guys,

Check out this thread from gamespot.com.
A very interesting and very technical discussion on the virtues of the Xbox 360 and the PS3.

kinda funny actually…

It might help you make a decision…but it might also just confuse you more.

XBox Live.

XBox360 wins until they can beat XBox Live and have shooters on par with GoW and Halo.

In my books at least, I bought the 360 to play online both shooters and sports.

Interesting piece. They are comparing a console with over a year of development and a $200 price point to a brand new system with no software development (beyond Resistance: Fall of Man which still falls short of GoW). I think you’d be a fool to run out an drop a ton of money on a PS3 at this moment.

I will own both in due time I’m sure. The Xbox for awesome shooters and online play, and the PS3 for the incredible single player experiences like Metal Gear and God of War.

Most consoles that come out within a year of one another end up pretty similar power-wise.

It was true for just about every previous generation; it’s most likely true for this one. Except for the Wii who was designed to be cheap and less powerful.

The PS3 and X360 were both designed and specified in the same year. They both reflect the “state-of-the-art” at that point in time and each has advantages and weaknesses that the other hasn’t. On paper, the PS3 is more powerful, but the X360 is apparently much easier to program for.

Both machines offer multi-core, multi-threaded environments, but each does it in its own way. They differ in just about every tech spec, but in the end are probably relatively close power-wise.

Microsoft also managed to get a year head start on Sony this time and Sony seems to have squandered that whole year on nothing at all, if their crappy launch is any indication. The games aren’t revolutionary (yet?), the online service is lackluster, the controllers suck, they’re still having production problems, etc.

I hope Sony makes everyone eat crow this year. If they don’t have anything better to offer for summer (to counter Halo 3) and especially for next Christmas, This generation of consoles might end up split between X360 and Wii.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
I will own both in due time I’m sure. The Xbox for awesome shooters and online play, and the PS3 for the incredible single player experiences like Metal Gear and God of War.[/quote]

It’s rumored that Metal Gear Solid 4 will be on the Xbox 360.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is the only reason I see for investing in the PS3 so far, and even that is a year away, but if this is true this is another slamdunk for the 360.