Xbox 360 or PS3

Alright, dumb question…how the hell do you hook it up to play on line? What if you have digital cable? Does it cost extra? Like I said, I’m not as schooled as everyone else seems to be.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Alright, dumb question…how the hell do you hook it up to play on line? What if you have digital cable? Does it cost extra? Like I said, I’m not as schooled as everyone else seems to be.[/quote]

You need a router. The cable modem hooks into the router which allows multiple connections to connect to the internet. For the 360 to play online all you have to do is pluy the supplied ethernet cable into the router and you’re online! It come with a free month of unlimited gaming. After that its $50 for a year.

Basically, I believe you need to already be connected to the net (cable, dsl, etc.), but then you need to have a router to hook a network cable from the XBOX to the router so you can use your existing internet connection. XBOX 360 does have wireless network capability, but you need to buy an adapter for that.

Here’s another link I found with more details on the XBOX 360. Looks like it’s only going to cost $399 for the top of the line model.

Alright, dumb question…how the hell do you hook it up to play on line? What if you have digital cable? Does it cost extra? Like I said, I’m not as schooled as everyone else seems to be.[/quote]

Here ya go as per this link: Xbox 360 Online Multiplayer How-To | The Official Site of 1337 Pwnage

"Xbox live is the easiest way to play xbox games over the internet. Most games support up to 16 xboxes and players. The xbox usually connects with no problems at all to any broadband connection. It can be difficult some places though. At some colleges you need to register your connection on a computer, and you aren’t supposed to be able to play Xbox Live, but you can.

Here is how you do it:
Start your xbox up without a game in it then go to the settings bar and then xbox live.

Now in the lower right it will display a number, this is your MAC Address, it should say MAC=YOURNUMBERHERE. Write this number down because you will need it later. Now turn off your xbox.

Now you will change the mac address of your computer to the same as your xbox. Go here and download the program called macshift. It tells you how to set the program up on that site, but this is what you need to do.

Now find your computers original MAC address, you can find your computers mac address by going to View Network Connections and then opening the network connection you are using, clicking on the support tab then clicking details. The physical address is the MAC address. (Start>Control Panel>Network Connections>Local Area Connection 1>Support>Details)

Now create a shortcut to macshift on your desktop then right click it and go to properties. In the target area change it so it looks something like this “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\macshift\macshift.exe” -i “Local Area Connection 1” YOURMACHERE", with your mac address where it says your mac here. (To create a shortcut you need to go to where you installed macshift, right click on macshift and select send to desktop as shorctut)

Now create another shortcut the same way except put your Xbox’s mac address in it.

Now all you have to do is double click on the shortcut with your Xbox’s mac address and register your MAC adddress. Your computer’s mac address will be changed to your Xbox’s, so make sure your Xbox is off while you do this or you will get your port blocked. Go to where you register your computer online, and register it. It may take a while before you can register it, depending on the network, but it is usually around 5 minutes.

After successfully registering double click on the shortcut to macshift with your original computer mac address to restore your computer to normal, you may have to wait another 5 minutes after this, but now you should be able to use your xbox on xbox live and the internet on your computer at the same time.

A good thing to take into consideration is that once you register your Xbox, you will not be able to see unregistered Xboxes over the network, and they will not see your registered Xbox. But you will be able to use the internet and play Xbox over the network at the same time. So you will want to tell everyone who plays with you to register their Xbox."

Professor X:
You’re an MD if I remember right…

So just drill a hole through the interventricual septum and run a cable from the left atrium to the right semilunar valve (be careful b/c it gets flappy).

Actually the xbox 360 is wireless if I rember correct; e.g. you have a wireless router in your house which broadcasts your internet in radio frequency and the xbox has something called a “wireless card” which is sort of like an “antenna” which picks up this frequency.

Also if your signal is really weak I heard that you can pick up sknny, lanky kids that refuse to bulk (somehow it increases their signal strength), and hook them up to the system.

All braun, no brain :D.

Where did you come up with the conclusion that PS3 or Nintendo would have better graphics then XBOX 360? I believe you have no facts to back up such a statement. If I’m wrong please prove this to me.

[quote]BackInAction wrote:
I’d seriously wait on the xbox 360. The price is insane because its offered with games. I would wait a couple months and then decide.

P.S. When PS3 and the new nintendo come up, xbox is going to get its ass kicked (graphically speaking)[/quote]

One thing that was not pointed out (beyond how to hook the XBox up for playing XBox Live) is that I [i]believe[/i] Microsoft will be doing two different levels of XBox Live, a silver and a gold. I believe there will be a free silver membership just for getting a 360 with somewhat more limited functionality and when you can get on to play and gold will be the full service.

But to sum up, it’s really easy to set up. Hell, even rainjack was able to do it. lol And he’s a lot of fun to shoot mercilessly.

This game might interest you. Check out the link.

[quote]Vegita wrote:
The 360 will come with a wireless network card so if you have high speed internet, you can just get a wireless router and hook the 360 up in any room in the house without dealing with additional lines etc. I’m not sure if PS3 will have this capability or not, but in my opinion, it’s a pretty neat thing to have.

Generally speaking from a game type, the xbox was really weak for roleplaying games. I am a big geek and love my dungeons & dragons and final fantasys so I ended up getting both systems. I also probably wont wait for the PS3 but I will wait for the 360 to be out a few months before I buy one. Once it has been out to market, the will make mods to the newer ones that they have found problems with the first batch.

V[/quote]

[quote]supermick wrote:
No point getting one if san GTA or some other game with drugs and pimps in isnt available for that model?

right?[/quote]

There will be an awesome game like this for the 360. It’s coming out early next year and will kick GTA’s ass!! :slight_smile:

They are actually pretty close graphics wise, but I think the difference will be in processing power.

“Sony has announced that the PlayStation 3 will have a 3.2GHz Cell processor that consists of a PowerPC-based core with seven synergistic processing units. The PS3 spec-sheet says that there’s an eighth SPE reserved for redundancy–whatever that means. The Xbox 360, in comparison, has a multicore PowerPC processor that has three dual-threaded cores that can handle six total threads at a time. You might be able to call the Cell’s SPEs overgrown math units, but we think Sony’s Cell processor wins from a brute power perspective”

Since the ps3 will have 8 processors compared to sony 3 dual processors, So the ps3 will win out with processing power.
I think they will just get more out of the system for gaming purposes.

P.S. If anyone has a chance, check out the metal gear solid 4 trailer. It looks amazing!

[quote]provy07 wrote:
Where did you come up with the conclusion that PS3 or Nintendo would have better graphics then XBOX 360? I believe you have no facts to back up such a statement. If I’m wrong please prove this to me.

BackInAction wrote:
I’d seriously wait on the xbox 360. The price is insane because its offered with games. I would wait a couple months and then decide.

P.S. When PS3 and the new nintendo come up, xbox is going to get its ass kicked (graphically speaking)

[/quote]

Since there seems to be a lot of confusion I hope I could clear some things up for prof x.

Firstly, the PS3 is comming out next March (Sir Howard Stringer has confirmed that), NOT next winter, 2007, w/e…

Secondly, the prices (converted from yen) that have been floating around all put the PS3 between $400 and $500.

IMO I think the PS3 will be a better console. Some of the advantages:

*bluetooth controllers (and more of them)

*blue-ray disk. Now this is a big one… Xbox 360 will use legacy DVDs (not even HD-DVD). This means that games could only be 8 Gigs max, while the blue-ray disks can hold up ton 27 gigs.

*Processing power: the specs on the PS3 are simply phenominal. How it translates to the real world will be seen, but it will mostly likely give it an edge over xbox.

Those are some “concrete” examples of superiority. However, which you buy will probably just depend more on what games you want to play.

I, personally, love playing GTA (all of them), so I would much rather get the PS3. However, if you like halo, which is a very enjoyable game btw, I would rather get the xbox to play Halo 3 (which is supposed to launch when PS3 launches).

[quote]Kuz wrote:
But to sum up, it’s really easy to set up. Hell, even rainjack was able to do it. lol And he’s a lot of fun to shoot mercilessly.[/quote]

This right here is precisely the reason why lawyers make crappy comedians.

I’ve learned so much in this thread…I think I’m gonna cry. sniff It’s just so…beautiful, man! I…I think it’s time to celebrate…by throwin’ in GTA and poppin’ caps in the asses of white cops and beating little old black ladies over the head for pocket change.

sniff

[quote]BackInAction wrote:

Since the ps3 will have 8 processors compared to sony 3 dual processors, So the ps3 will win out with processing power.

[/quote]

Think this will be true right out of the gate? I assume it may take some developers a while to get used to the whole 8 processor thing.

My reason for getting an XBox 360 is but one word:

Bungie.

-FC

Absolutely right. PSone’s designers really pushed that system’s specs a couple years later. If I were asked if Jumping Flash and Final Fantasy VIII came out from the same system, I definately wouldn’t have believed it.

I can’t wait to see what kinda games these people design in a couple years.

[quote]FlawlessCowboy wrote:
BackInAction wrote:

Think this will be true right out of the gate? I assume it may take some developers a while to get used to the whole 8 processor thing.

My reason for getting an XBox 360 is but one word:

Bungie.

-FC[/quote]

I agree. PS3 will certainly win in the long run - the advantage Sony has in Japanese units sold is astonishing. The PS2’s downfall, compared to the X-Box, was simply its age. Sony has learned this time around and I think is making a very smart move releasing the system later.

Concerning the price, I’d bet on a $300 - 400 price range by the time the system is actually released. Considering the exact same sort of rumors were floating around about the PS1 before it came out (which, again, was rumored to cost $500 - 600), came in at $299.

If you’re going to buy one system, I would most certainly wait for the X-Box. If you have the capacity to play PC Games, I’d simply buy those titles you enjoy on the X-Box for the PC, since nearly all of its titles are cross platform.

[quote]FlawlessCowboy wrote:
BackInAction wrote:

[/quote]

A buddy of mine is a programmer, and apparently it’s going to take a LONG time to figure out how use all the PS3 processors effectively. The 360, on the other hand, has a beautiful design package that has earned the thumbs up from the guys at id software. It’s also apparently a LOT less expensive for producers to retool factories to produce HD DVD (360) rather than blueray DVD’s. Just something to think about in regards to software support.

360 also sports the ATI 520 GPU. That’s one kick-ass piece of technology and may very well offset the raw processing power of the PS3. First GPU to crack the 1ghz mark. Sony is using an NVidia chip, I think the one used in the 7000 series cards (someone correct me if I’m wrong here). It’s just not as good a GPU.

-Dan

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Kuz wrote:
But to sum up, it’s really easy to set up. Hell, even rainjack was able to do it. lol And he’s a lot of fun to shoot mercilessly.

This right here is precisely the reason why lawyers make crappy comedians.
[/quote]

Got nothin’ but love for ya, my bean-countin’ brother.

I’ve learned so much in this thread…I think I’m gonna cry. sniff It’s just so…beautiful, man! I…I think it’s time to celebrate…by throwin’ in GTA and poppin’ caps in the asses of white cops and beating little old black ladies over the head for pocket change.

sniff[/quote]

Hmm. That DOES sound good. I might need to go start up a turf war with the Ballers just for old times sake. GROVE STREET 4 LIFE!