T Nation

XBox 360 Crashes

I have been thinking about buying an XBox 360, but everywhere I read there are stories of the system crashing. Some people on Amazon.com have complained their systems crashed after only a few months of use. Any 360 owners out there that can vouch for this machine, or should I bite the bullet and buy a PS3?

I’ll be buying a PS3 simply because I have heard the same thing…that and how loud the system runs on the X-box.

I am one who actually hopes “blue ray” doesn’t catch on like DVDs simply because I have way too many dvds collected at this point. However, it wouldn’t hurt to have a blue ray player in the house, especially since it runs cheaper than any blue ray players on the market.

In the end, I think most people will stick with what they’ve had all along. I have always had a play station, at least for the last 10+ years. I might as well stick with it.

I bought mine 7 months ago and it broke the night before last.

I have a warranty somewhere I need to look at which should cover it, but I’m pretty dissapointed. I took good care of it, kept it elevated to minimize dust, blah blah.

I would personally with a PS3, red light death is a bitch, and it has happened to a few friends of mine.

Mine has crashed about twice since December. My friend has had his since November and has never had it crashed. A other guy I know had to get his replaces (Also December) . So you can always get it replaced if you are unlucky and it crashes a lot.

I have had mine since launch without any problems. The two keys are to keep it in a well ventilated area and not to move it around (i.e. taking it to a friends house).

It’s pretty much a given that your 360 will have problems within 18-24 months. I bought a 360 two months ago knowing this full well and am still very happy I did so. It was worth it, even if the clock is ticking on me.

As far as PS3 vs 360 thing goes, I see them as basically the same thing except the 360 is $200 cheaper. (blue ray means dick to me) If you decide to go with the PS3, I’d wait until this fall when a price drop is likely. It’s selling like shit right now so you know one is coming sooner or later.

[quote]playmaker08 wrote:
I have had mine since launch without any problems. The two keys are to keep it in a well ventilated area and not to move it around (i.e. taking it to a friends house).[/quote]

me too, and i move mine around all the time. and i have long haired cats and their fur always got in the vents, and i leave if running for weeks at a time. i guess i got lucky.

my opinion, get the 360. it is great to have if you have a windows PC, (dont know if the PS3 does this or not) but you can network it in and share videos/music wherever your xbox is hooked up. i always liked that. plus i always feel like sony tries to nickel and dime everything with their proprietary stuff and no HDMI cable comes with the ps3 etc.

wouldnt hurt to have both i guess…

I am on my second since launch. One replaced by M$, still running fine. My warranty service experience was favorable, unlike many others I have read about. Never had to pay for shipping, new console in my hands within a week.

Yes I understand it shouldn’t have had to happen in the first place. My system was/is always well ventilated, never moved, the area is dusted frequently etc… that being said, its not as bad as you would think. There are millions of consoles out there that never had a problem. Wait till sony has the 360 numbers out there and youll see inevitable crash type issues too.

Oh, did I mention that XBL is the greatest thing ever. It is well established, and by and large rock solid in terms of connectivity. Yes there are punk ass kids talking shit, but there are an equal number of cool, down to earth adults of all skill levels and it dosent take long at all to get a good friends list together and have a blast.

I may be partial to it because I have ‘real friends’ that are on xbl that I can bullshit with while Im playing. I was one of those “I dont care about online gaming” types until I got on live too.

I have had mine not too long after launch and had not had problems at all, even so, XBOX is really good about getting you a replacement if something happens.

My roomate and I each got one on launch day and they’re still working great. I’ve never been more pleased with a console. I know maybe 5 other people with 360s and none of them have experienced any problems.

I also know that the local Best Buy went through 2 PS3s before getting a floor model that worked properly (granted, they did house it in a tiny plastic box with minimal ventilation…and PS3s are known to get hotter than 360s).

The noise isn’t really that big of a problem. I mean, if you play your games muted then sure, you’ll hear it, but you should be playing with the volume cranked. The Halo 3 beta has some killer fucking sound design.

I just got mine back from service and it was one of the 1st gen XBox 360’s. Mine had the red ring of death on it and Microsoft ended up replacing my system all together. My impression is that this is a problem with those 1st gen consoles and subsequent ones have since corrected this.

I am enough of a fan of the games and the overall XBox 360 experience that I would still endorse getting one since I believe those problems are mostly in the past.

Also, I have never really had a noise problem with mine. I’m not sure if that has more to do with a lack of noise or how loud I play the games…

[quote]Professor X wrote:
In the end, I think most people will stick with what they’ve had all along. I have always had a play station, at least for the last 10+ years. I might as well stick with it.[/quote]

X makes an interesting point. I would be curious to see statistics on how many people make the switch between platforms and not just buying a both a 360 and a PS3, but completely switching from one to the other. I doubt it happens all that often.

my friend has broke two, both replaced under warranty

he will also forget to turn it off after watching movies and it will run all day.

Had my 360 for a year now with no problems… I don’t see why this should be an issue, PS3s have a reputation for breaking also. It’s just that there’s 4x as many 360s out there so you hear about it more

Actually PS3’s have the lowest rate for failure out of any system. Plus blueray won out in the hd-dvd vs blueray war. Might as well get it as a cheap blueray player and as a system that can play amazing games.

I’ve had mine for a while – not sure how long exactly. I also have a PS2 that I’ve taken apart a dozen times to adjust the laser. Having to clean and adjust these things is a reality of ownership.

I have to agree that XBL is worth every penny the 360 cost, and if mine dies I will fix or replace it simply for XBL access. I thought about waiting for the PS3, but now am very glad I didn’t.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
X makes an interesting point. I would be curious to see statistics on how many people make the switch between platforms and not just buying a both a 360 and a PS3, but completely switching from one to the other. I doubt it happens all that often.[/quote]

I’ve bought, in that order:

Sega Genesis
(met my wife, she had a NES)
Nintendo 64
PlayStation
Xbox (twice).

I’ve enjoyed them all and still have the 3 last ones.

Everytime I bought a console it’s been because of a game I wanted. I got the Sega to play Mortal Kombat (with red blood, not gray/green); got the N64 for GoldenEye and WaveRace and then PlayStation for Gran Turismo and Syphon Filter (which I’d played at a friend’s house).

Got the Xbox initially because the store I went to was out of the PS2 bundle they had advertised. They had the Xbox with 3 games bundled, including Forza which seemed a pretty close match to Gran Turismo (it is). Then got another one when I discovered the wonders of Xbox Media Center and the how ridiculously easy it was to mod the Xbox.

Basically, I never bought a system based of technical specs. I buy them because there’s a great game I want to play and it’s only availably on that system.

Right now, both X360 and PS3 are way too expensive for my tastes (at least to buy new), and I want to see if someone will manage to harness the PS3’s amazing “on paper” power in a game.

The X360 is supposed to get a smaller chip later this year. Hopefully that will help reliability and also make it quieter; eliminating a couple of reasons for me not getting (a used) one sooner.

The PS3 is getting interesting firmware update pretty frequently, so that’s good. They still seem to be lacking far, far behind Xbox live for online play, but I haven’t used my current Xbox live account that much. Maybe I got in on it too late (got my Xbox 1 in November 2005, and the live service in May 2006).

So both new-gen systems have problems that need to be ironed out before I pick one. That, or a really killer game that break new ground and is available no where else.

Meanwhile, I might get a PS2 just to play God of War 2 and pick some of the best games that system has. Old they may be, but there’s still new if you’ve never played them. Not to mention the bargains to be had on Craiglist or ebay…

[quote]Kuz wrote:
Professor X wrote:
In the end, I think most people will stick with what they’ve had all along. I have always had a play station, at least for the last 10+ years. I might as well stick with it.

X makes an interesting point. I would be curious to see statistics on how many people make the switch between platforms and not just buying a both a 360 and a PS3, but completely switching from one to the other. I doubt it happens all that often.[/quote]

I did it a few years ago when I bought my original xbox and sold my PS2.

I was a diehard playstation guy until I played my cousins xbox. I just liked it so much more than the PS2. I went out and bought one and never turned the PS2 on again. It just sat on the shelf collecting dust and I ended up selling it.

When the next generation consoles were coming out I didn’t even have to think about it. 360 all the way. I have no interest whatsoever in the PS3 or Wii.

I agree that switching completely probably doesn’t happen that much though.

And I really didn’t do it other for any reason other than I just liked it. I didn’t dislike my PS2 and I enjoyed it, I just ended up liking the xbox more.

[quote]John S. wrote:
Might as well get it as a cheap blueray player and as a system that can play amazing games.[/quote]

All you have to do is wait for those amazing games to come out. Motorstorm is visually stunning, but it’s not worth buying the system for it.

If you like jrpgs,go for a PS3. If you’re more into FPSs, western rpgs, and are looking forward to a Ninja Gaiden sequel, opt for a 360. Also, the general consensus from the different gaming websites is that 360 versions of multiplatform games are usually superior.