X-Vest

Hey T-Family,

I’m looking at purchasing the X-vest for personal and business reasons. I’d like any feedback that any of you have to offer. Is this a good investment, is it something you just dust off for competition prep, or did you just use it for a few week and it’s now collecting dust?

~If any of you have one collecting dust, I’d be willing to take it off your hands for the right price.~

Thanks folks!

Jack

Personally I enjoy mine. I have the 40 pound model which I bought off of ebay. Saved some cash. Its a tough thing, and in measuring what size you want, remember you want it very tight. I try to go for a hike with it once a week. However, after 2 hours it does put some real pressure on my traps.

[quote]G. McCormack wrote:
Personally I enjoy mine. I have the 40 pound model which I bought off of ebay. Saved some cash. Its a tough thing, and in measuring what size you want, remember you want it very tight. I try to go for a hike with it once a week. However, after 2 hours it does put some real pressure on my traps. [/quote]

Would you say 40 lbs. is heavy enough? For me; I’m 6 ft. and 225. I’ve been training for over 15 years, so I’m probably above average in strength.

Funny little side story: About 10 years ago, I was dating a gal that was only 4’ 10" and weighed around 75 lbs… I use to go for hikes with her on my shoulders, so I’ve been using weight in a similar fashion for a long time. My wife is about 115 lbs, but I don’t think she’d let me carry her around the neighborhood on my shoulders.

Love mine still use it damn near every day.

THANKS T-Nation. I got it through T-Jack. Great for cardio, dips, chins. All types of stuf.

You wont regret getting one IMO
Phill

[quote]jackzepplin wrote:
Hey T-Family,

I’m looking at purchasing the X-vest for personal and business reasons. I’d like any feedback that any of you have to offer. Is this a good investment, is it something you just dust off for competition prep, or did you just use it for a few week and it’s now collecting dust?

~If any of you have one collecting dust, I’d be willing to take it off your hands for the right price.~

Thanks folks!

Jack[/quote]

Hey Jack!

I own an X Vest and love it!

I mostly use it for hiking, Dips and Chins. I find that a little extra weight goes a long way over a period of time.

The X Vest fits like a glove!

Go buy one right now…I’m serious go ahead…go on.

[quote]jackzepplin wrote:
G. McCormack wrote:
Personally I enjoy mine. I have the 40 pound model which I bought off of ebay. Saved some cash. Its a tough thing, and in measuring what size you want, remember you want it very tight. I try to go for a hike with it once a week. However, after 2 hours it does put some real pressure on my traps.

Would you say 40 lbs. is heavy enough? For me; I’m 6 ft. and 225. I’ve been training for over 15 years, so I’m probably above average in strength.

Funny little side story: About 10 years ago, I was dating a gal that was only 4’ 10" and weighed around 75 lbs… I use to go for hikes with her on my shoulders, so I’ve been using weight in a similar fashion for a long time. My wife is about 115 lbs, but I don’t think she’d let me carry her around the neighborhood on my shoulders.[/quote]

jack,

I’ve been looking at purchasing one of these as well. From what I understand, you can always take weight out, but if it’s too light there’s no easy way to add weight. Thus if you’re a strong guy, you should err towards the heavier one.

I’ve found it to be a great investment. I usually wear it if I’m cleaning, mowing the lawn & doing yardwork. I’ve worn it hiking as well and usually get people asking if I’m in the military or SWAT. Heh.

As for which one would be a good one for you to buy, I dunno. The next one up is an 80 pounder so a 40 might be good. Depends on what you think you’d be comfortable with.

My current variation. It’s a cheap version, but she’s a good 25 pounds.

Funny picture!!
Where in Kansas?

Dave

Jack,

I love that photo, it’s priceless!

[quote]dvldog wrote:
Funny picture!!
Where in Kansas?

Dave[/quote]

KC Metro (Johnson County)

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Jack,

I love that photo, it’s priceless![/quote]

:slight_smile:

That is my daughter at around 24 pounds. She’s probably a whopping 25 lbs now! My son is only a few months old, but we’re puttin’ weight on him as fast as we can so that I can have one on each arm. He doesn’t care much for the Super Weight Gainer 4000, but I sneek it in his breast milk when mommy is teaching yoga. (j/k)

http://search.ebay.com/xvest_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

This is an 84lb monster on ebay for $250.

I saw that ebay sale, but with shipping it’s still $290.

I did find a great deal on Coach Davies’ site at http://www.renegadetraining.com/cinco_de_mayo.html (Offer #2).

Coach’s recommendation was to go with the 40 pounder. I agree that the 40 would be a good purchase and if that serves me well, I can either sell it or keep it in my “tool box” and purchase the 84 at a later date. If this thing is as valuable as I think, having both will be great for me and the business.

Now, I just need to decide if I should purchase the Dyson vacuum for my wife or the vest for myself (the vest is cheaper).

I use it for hiking with the dog, and hill sprints. Just a little tip: You can put small plates in the “pockets” of the 40lb model. I’ve loaded it up to 75lbs. Its a huge difference and not something I would want to do all the time.

Now that’s really interesting… I have never heard anyone else so much as mention something like that.
I just ordered the 40 lb model yesterday and it would be nice if I had the option to load it up a bit more. Would the Iron Woody fractional plates fit in these “pockets”?
Thanks for the info!!
Worker

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
I use it for hiking with the dog, and hill sprints. Just a little tip: You can put small plates in the “pockets” of the 40lb model. I’ve loaded it up to 75lbs. Its a huge difference and not something I would want to do all the time.[/quote]

Here are my reviews of both the 40 and 84 pound model. After owning both for over a year, I say go with the 40. More comfortable, plus an 84 pound vest is a bigger beast than most people will ever need. Yes, you can de-load it, but then you’re left with a larger, half-empty vest which in my experience isn’t quite as comfortable as the 40 pound model.

40-Pound Model Review: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460144

84-Pound Model Review: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460714

This second review contains some training ideas for weight vests and a short interview with the owner of X-Vest.

I just used regular “exercise plates” you can fit a 10 in each pocked…or a combo of 2.5’s, 5’s or 10’s.

Awesome!!
Thanks for the info. IL Cazzo!!!
Worker

I have owned the 40 pounder for about 2 months now. I started at 5% of my weight(10 pounds) and I am now at 16lbs. I do not beleive the 84pounder is worth it. I find the 40 to be very comfortable and functional. I use it in my current training at the gym and when I go for walks or inline skating.

Just be ready to hear these questions alot.

Are you a police officer? or What is wrong with your back? And for all those guys that think they are funny. Is it dangerous in the Weight room, why do you need protection?