T Nation

X-Vest for Fat Loss

Can anyone attest to this statement by Dr. Lowrey?

It makes sense because when i used to walk home from school with a heavy load on my back, i took off my backpack and the back of my shirt was soaked. when i lifted up my shirt, ive never seen my back muscles as visible ever.

now does this relate to the amount of weight to the body, or just the amount of constriction on the body (the tightness of the x-vest towards the body)?

I think it has to do with carrying a larger overall load. Obviously carrying an extra 80 pounds on your back is going to lead to more energy expenditure.

I think it makes a huge difference for fasted cardio. I didn’t buy an Vest though. I filled and sealed an old back pack with sand it makes me 65 pounds heavier.

Its thew load and yes works damn good the steady state slow, low and long for shedding those last few lbs, when ( a FEW years back ) I was trying to get the last few stubborn lbs off I stopped the jogging started walking with my vest and that brought me over the edge.

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
Its thew load and yes works damn good the steady state slow, low and long for shedding those last few lbs, when ( a FEW years back ) I was trying to get the last few stubborn lbs off I stopped the jogging started walking with my vest and that brought me over the edge.

Phill[/quote]

g phill, seems like whenever i have a problem, ur there to help me out :slight_smile: thx man

so wait, its not really the compression that helps the fat loss? also when u say steady state, u dont mean fasted cardio do u? im assuming that the larger the load, the better for fat loss right? in that case, would the v-vests b better in this situation? http://weightvest.com/mensvests.html

my concern with those though is that it isn’t really applying any pressure in the lower-back, abdominal region; just the upper body with very little compression. so then r the x-vests better then in due to their wrapping around the entire midsection?

I have an X-Vest and I think it is mostly in the extra load. Putting it on tighter makes it easier (I think) but I am not sure if it make a difference other than that. Mostly, you can go for a walk (or hike, run, etc.) or you can do it carrying a small child. Obviously, the extra weight will make a difference. The idea came from a Roman Gladiator (sorry, don’t remember his name) who put a small calf on his shoulders and ran around the Coliseum everyday. As the calf grew, he grew stronger, a little bit each day. With an X-Vest the weight is balanced and distributed so you don’t notice it that much but the overall exertion makes a difference.

Compression over long periods can reshape your body and temporarily redistrubute your fat cells.

You won’t be wearing the X-vest long enough to be seeing that though, plus it’s really not designed for it. I was referring to Girdles.

The X-vest is just really good because everything you do involving supporting or moving your torso will be harder.

At 84lbs it sounds like it could make just going for a walk HIT.

I like it because you can combine it with about everything. Why not use an X-vest with squatting or other free weight lifting? More overload! Plus you could use a lighter bar… or maybe a dip belt.

so if compression isn’t the deal, than would the weight vest that i aforementioned earlier also b a good deal? it can hold much more weight…

The X-Vest ises 1-lb. metal rods, so it is fully adjustable. You will find that 20 to 40 lbs. is more than you think.

ya but in the long run, i wont have to pay extra money for a vest that holds more weight than just 20-40 lbs; that is if i adapt, which i think is highly likely

[quote]RoadWarrior wrote:
I have an X-Vest and I think it is mostly in the extra load. Putting it on tighter makes it easier (I think) but I am not sure if it make a difference other than that. Mostly, you can go for a walk (or hike, run, etc.) or you can do it carrying a small child. Obviously, the extra weight will make a difference. The idea came from a Roman Gladiator (sorry, don’t remember his name) who put a small calf on his shoulders and ran around the Coliseum everyday. As the calf grew, he grew stronger, a little bit each day.

With an X-Vest the weight is balanced and distributed so you don’t notice it that much but the overall exertion makes a difference.[/quote]

Not to be an ass, but actually it wasn’t a roman gladiator, but Milo of Croton, a greek wrestler reknowned for his strength. But, rome, greece, close enough.

Would a backpack filled with weight, sand, etc be a suitable replacement? Kind of like the old military road marches with weighted packs?

[quote]martMC48 wrote:
Not to be an ass, but actually it wasn’t a roman gladiator, but Milo of Croton, a greek wrestler reknowned for his strength. But, rome, greece, close enough.

Would a backpack filled with weight, sand, etc be a suitable replacement? Kind of like the old military road marches with weighted packs?
[/quote]

yep, thats a perfectly fine option he recommended in his article

[quote]B.b. in stress! wrote:
Phill wrote:

Phill

g phill, seems like whenever i have a problem, ur there to help me out :slight_smile: thx man

so wait, its not really the compression that helps the fat loss? also when u say steady state, u dont mean fasted cardio do u? im assuming that the larger the load, the better for fat loss right? in that case, would the v-vests b better in this situation? http://weightvest.com/mensvests.html

my concern with those though is that it isn’t really applying any pressure in the lower-back, abdominal region; just the upper body with very little compression. so then r the x-vests better then in due to their wrapping around the entire midsection?[/quote]

No prob just trying to help and no I said steady state not fastes as in one speed jaut a good non panting [pace as Lonnie Lowery says.

Yes I did some fasted but found it good to do as he suggsted and take half sevring of Metabolic Drive with my coffee just enough to have aminos in blood poool to help stop catabolism and not hinder fat loss. And would do them later in the day as well just throw it on and walk.

I like the 40 lb x vest the bigger one is a bit bulky and I can add load if needed to this.

Phill

[quote]B.b. in stress! wrote:
martMC48 wrote:

yep, thats a perfectly fine option he recommended in his article[/quote]

yes the back pack works but SUCKS in comparison hell of a pull on your shoulders and has you really leaning forward to balance the load etc.

X vest once I got it really was a damn fine tool. and if I want more load on my walsk I hook my spare tire to one of he hooks and drag that booger,

Phill

I did my army service in an airborne unit in Germany and we marched a lot with heavy backpacks…guns, other equipment etc…
Of course that was aditionally to all the other sport/training we had to do…but I’ve never seen people loose fat faster then in that time.
We were required to do one 30km march in under 4 hrs once a month…but we would also do at least one 10-15km fast paced march a week…(yes I marched a lot)

But don’t forget to eat otherwise you will shrink and look like a matchstick man

Decided to tough it out huh?