X Vest 84lb Firefighter Trainer

Anyone have this model? What are your thoughts? Most people on here have the 40lb model I was wondering what were your thoughts on the 84lb model.

I just started the fire academy and need to start training for the final exam/obstacle course. I noticed that my gear weighs around 40-50 pounds, not 84, so why would they make the firefighter trainer x-vest that heavy?

Which one should I buy?

Maybe because sometimes you have to carry a person out of a burning building.

The nice thing is if you work hard with the 84 your gear is going to feel nice and light.

[quote]Axel wrote:
Maybe because sometimes you have to carry a person out of a burning building.

The nice thing is if you work hard with the 84 your gear is going to feel nice and light.[/quote]

I see a 700 word post coming from Phill. It will be well thought out as always, but it will be 700 words. At least.

Does the 84 strip down at all. if so, added training fexibility.

[quote]John DeVito wrote:
I noticed that my gear weighs around 40-50 pounds, not 84, so why would they make the firefighter trainer x-vest that heavy?[/quote]

It weighs up to 84 pounds. Don’t put all the weights in and it will weigh less.

Your average SCBA (cylinder and harness) weighs approximately 30-35 pounds; hence, the reason for the heavier training vest. Good luck with the academy.

turnouts, boots, SCBA, helmet, hose bundle, axe, lights, rope bag…need anymore encouragement to why the 84lbs?

There is an advantage if you are heavier. If you are lighter then you might have a slight problem.

With all my gear I weigh 300lbs. I’m working to drop that down to 250lbs. But we’ll see, firehouse cooking is a bitch.

So do you guys think its worth getting the 84lb model over the 40lb? That just seems like quite heavy to strap on and do training with that…sprints, stairs, long walks…It would be great for lunges and stuff like that…

Do any of you guys have the 84lb model? What do you think of it? SHould I get it over the 40model? Is it worth spending the extra $100???

Thanx guys for the feedback so far and the well wishes…

[quote]John DeVito wrote:
Anyone have this model? What are your thoughts? Most people on here have the 40lb model I was wondering what were your thoughts on the 84lb model.

I just started the fire academy and need to start training for the final exam/obstacle course. I noticed that my gear weighs around 40-50 pounds, not 84, so why would they make the firefighter trainer x-vest that heavy?

Which one should I buy?[/quote]

where are you getting your gear? a local shop or online…? inquiring minds
want to know…
also…i think that on the cpat one of the stations involves wearing an approx 80 lb vest…u are to climb a stair machine at 1 step per sec…for 3 min then
they take off 30 lbs. i’m
assuming to simulate the experience of being in full turnout gear plus scba and equip(gear bag,hose,fan, tools etc)

[quote]ems_girlscout wrote:

where are you getting your gear? a local shop or online…? inquiring minds
want to know…
also…i think that on the cpat one of the stations involves wearing an approx 80 lb vest…u are to climb a stair machine at 1 step per sec…for 3 min then
they take off 30 lbs. i’m
assuming to simulate the experience of being in full turnout gear plus scba and equip(gear bag,hose,fan, tools etc)
[/quote]

What gear? My PPE/SCBA??? That I get through my local fire department. I have old/used stuff right now for the academy. When I graduate, they fit me for brand new gear.

I’m not sure what the exam/obstacle course entails. So that’s why I’m not sure which x-vest to buy…

I have both the 40 pound and 84 pound models. I was using the 40 pound one for a while doing pull-ups, Tabata squats, jump squats, et cetera but within a couple weeks, the exercises became too easy.

Then I got the 84 pound X-Vest. I think it will be a long while before I outgrow this model. I keep all of the weight in the vest (all 84 lbs.) but you can easily take whatever weight you want out of it.

If I had it to do over again, I would have skipped the 40 pound vest and would have just bought the 84. So my suggestion would be to get the heavier vest since you obviously plan to get stronger.

[quote]MentalMuscle wrote:
I have both the 40 pound and 84 pound models. I was using the 40 pound one for a while doing pull-ups, Tabata squats, jump squats, et cetera but within a couple weeks, the exercises became too easy.

Then I got the 84 pound X-Vest. I think it will be a long while before I outgrow this model. I keep all of the weight in the vest (all 84 lbs.) but you can easily take whatever weight you want out of it.

If I had it to do over again, I would have skipped the 40 pound vest and would have just bought the 84. So my suggestion would be to get the heavier vest since you obviously plan to get stronger.[/quote]

Great post dude! Thanx!!

I have a 50 pound vest and love it for training as well. If your department uses the Cpat you will want to train with the 84lb model – train for harder, so during testing it will be a breeze.

As part of your training you might want to include some sledge hammer and tire work as well! I train a bunch of fire recruits and this type of training has be very valuable in preparing them for the testing process.

Best of luck to you in the academy.

Buy the 40lb. vest. If you want to train with more weight than that I would suggest using sandbags to simulate carrying a person to safety.

Firebug9, Thanks for the feedback and the well wishes.

I think I am leaning towards getting the 84lb model.