X Reps: What Are They

What are they exactly? And how are they done?

[quote]steven alex wrote:
What are they exactly? And how are they done?[/quote]

Just count to ten like a roman

It may refer to tempo, in which case “X” means to do it explosively. I could be way off though…

Oh shit, what, did Google block your IP? What’s wrong with people…

http://www.trulyhuge.com/X-RepTraining.html

X reps are partial reps performed at the end of a set to extend the total time and work load of the set.

In my experience, they are effective just like all intensity tactics (force reps, negatives, rest pause, etc)

USE SPARINGLY in a workout - one example may be to use X-Reps on the last set of each exercise for a body part, etc.

My guess is you are somewhat new still - I would recommend follwoing one of the many great programs listed here first.

X-reps (at least as they are titled) were invented by Steve Holman and Jonathan Lawson of Ironman Magazine.

They are very short range reps (more like pulses) in the semi-strech position when full reps are no longer possible.

For example the while reaching failure on incline presses, the bar would be lowered to just above the pec line and pushed just short of mid-stroke for however many x-reps you want to do.

Since the semi-stretch position is always the strongest, you can still stimulate it after fatigue limits full range reps.

I have used them and they have worked very well.

Obviously you haven’t read the “Counting the Bar” thread. X reps are Professor X’s chosen form of progression. ; )

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:
steven alex wrote:
What are they exactly? And how are they done?

X-reps (at least as they are titled) were invented by Steve Holman and Jonathan Lawson of Ironman Magazine.

They are very short range reps (more like pulses) in the semi-strech position when full reps are no longer possible.

For example the while reaching failure on incline presses, the bar would be lowered to just above the pec line and pushed just short of mid-stroke for however many x-reps you want to do.

Since the semi-stretch position is always the strongest, you can still stimulate it after fatigue limits full range reps.

I have used them and they have worked very well.
[/quote]
Steve Holman and Jonathan Lawson didn’t invent these. Larry Scott was doing these back in the day. He called them “burns”.

Like someone else stated. X reps are those done only by dentists.